Phatmax53 is offline Junior Member

Need Help from a experienced female...

My g/f has been working out and toning her body for about a year strait.

she is having problems toning her butt and very high thighs,

i told her i would get on here and ask a female for advice.

so any help like excercises and what not from a experienced female member would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Flexor is offline Banned
    Stick around, doby48 and lilkimmy2 will be able to help you out and they will probably be on later

One thing I will say is that exercises will not help tone her glutes and thighs. If she has been doing it for a year she will already have reached maximum muscle tone in the first few weeks. Perhaps what she needs is lower bodyfat and bigger muscles. All women have different skin texture, some appear naturally toned whilst some don't. Some women have cellulite despite low bodyfat because that is their genetics, and some don't. Follow Papi's advice on bringing out those glutes. I'd also suggest some nice deep lunges, a similar exercise to the one leg squat, but offering something slightly different.

EDIT ^
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-13-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmax53
    My g/f has been working out and toning her body for about a year strait.

she is having problems toning her butt and very high thighs,

i told her i would get on here and ask a female for advice.

so any help like excercises and what not from a experienced female member would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    My girlfriend works out with me and one of her main concerns is addressing the glutes. Any movement that involves hip extension will bring the glutes and hamstrings into play.

Single-Leg Squats with the Back Foot Elevated on a Bench is one of my favorite exercises to create muscle fiber damage in the glutes.

Punisher rules, brah!

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Ok things to keep in mind that for men anyways the last place that fat comes off is the abs... for women it is sometimes the abs and sometimes the butt/hips depending on genese. I am one of the people that abs is the last place to lose fat but I have a close friend that is the opposite. That being said...

She needs to keep working on cardio and also have her try to work with reps in the 10 range. Depending on the cycling season I do reps in the 10-15 rep range and see the fat come off faster than anything. The lower reps I have seen for muscle mass but sounds like what she is looking for would be accomplished in 10-15 reps, what I normally do is aim for 10 reps, if I can do 10 then I keep going to failure as long as I can keep good form (except on back) If I can't to 10 then the weight needs to drop.

Are her hips/butt actually big or does "she" just think they are? A lot of women think that their hips and butt are large but really it isn't, this is just the area that most women really look at on themselves without much bias. I am assuming her diet is good so I am going to skip that part in this post since you are asking for workout advice... Ok, on to the workout...

Here is a sample routine of what I am currently doing, this may help her out to reach her goals as well because at this point in the year I have the same goals as she does and this has been a great routine to visit for after the cycling season before I work on some good strenght gains.

Monday: Chest/Tris
    -3 x Wide Grip Bench - Superset Pushups
    -3 x Dumbbell Decline Fly
    -3 x Cable Crossovers

-3 x Incline Close Grip Bench Press
    -3 x Bench Dips
    -3 x Pulley Pushdowns
    -3 x Reverse Single Arm Pulldowns

Tuesday: Quads/Abs
    -3 x Cable Lunge
    -3 x Squats
    -3 x Leg Extension
    -3 x Standing Calf Raise

(Pick 2 of the following)
    -2 x Hanging Bent Knee Leg Lifts
    -2 x Incline Reverse Crunch
    -2 x Decline Sit Ups
    -2 x Cable Crunches

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Back/Biceps
    -3 x Pull Ups (If she can't do these then just skip this exercise or have her do as many as she can with assitance)
    -3 x Lat Pull (Wide Grip Rear)
    -3 x Cable One Arm High Row
    -3 x T-Bar Rows

-3 x Barbell Curl (EZ-Bar)
    -3 x Hammer Curls
    -3 x Incline Alternating Curls

Friday: Shoulder/Lower Back/Hamstrings
    -3 x Dumbbell Front Raise
    -3 x Cable Rear Lateral Raise
    -3 x Dumbbell Side Laterals
    -3 x Dumbbell Military Press

-3 x Pull Through
    -3 x Cable Straight Leg Deadlifts
    -3 x Standing Leg Curls

Saturday: Rest
    I actually do HIIT on Saturday, but she can take the weekend off as well with this routine.

Sunday: Rest
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

And also, if she has been working out and her diet is in check along with cardio, then you may want to consider suggesting an ECA stack for her. But if she doesn't have a good cardio/workout routine and diet (and been on it for a while) then I would hold off on the ECA for now.

her diet was average, but as of new years she has been on a calculated 1000 calorie a day diet 6 days on 1 off, she and i both can see alot of upper body results in the year she has been working out, but the bottom of her glutes and high upper thighs are left behind somehow,
    her upper body routine is fine, just her thighs and glutes
    she averages a lil over 1 hr to 75 minutes of cardio 4x a week.

anymore suggestions on fat burnin and toning for that area ... ?
    thanks for the input ...
    Last edited by Phatmax53; 01-15-2006 at 11:51 AM.

lilKimmy2 is offline Female Member
    Add some circuit training to switch up her cardio a little, If her diet is "average" I am willing to bet that is her problem. Before my track season I started accumulating a litle extra than usual around the outside of my thighs and the best way to keep that in Check is by watching your dietary intake. A few SIMPLE items that work amazingly are MORNING CARDIO, with an ECA stack, and No eating past 7pm. This gives your body ample amount of time to process everything the body has ingested throughout the day and "cleanse" the system, because at night when we are asleep yourbody is still at work .When you say her diet is" average" I am willing to bet it is terrible. Thats fine and dandy but if you want results than she will have to start really taking care of herself and that starts with what she fuels her body with... I LOVE Charles Poliquin and I am going to post some guidelines he has written because I thought it was a very simple way of stating a dietary system for a beginner...

The Basic Dietary Principles:

1. If it doesn’t fly, swim, walk or is green, don’t eat it.

2. Only eat 50 g of fibrous carbs a day. You will need the high fiber foods to balance the high protein content.

3. Eat 25-30 g of protein 5 times a day – i.e. eat 5 times a day and avoid fasting. (N.B. this is for the average woman. Men and athletes have increased protein requirements.)

4. Always drink a post-work-out shake (no carbs) and add 5 g of glutamine. (Glutamine may be needed in higher amounts for some and contraindicated in others.)

5. Be sure to plan a cheat meal every 5 days.

6. Don’t rely on nuts and dairy as your primary protein sources.

7. Use organic meats, dairy, veggies as often as possible.

8. Use the glycemic index as a rough guide to keep the insulin under control but recall that the quantity of food also affects the impact on the blood sugar e.g. Carrots have a high glycemic index but are not usually eaten in large quantities so the impact on the blood sugar is low. Therefore, they are a good food choice for fibrous carbs. This concept is called the glycemic load and more info is available at www.mendosa.com.

9. Read labels and avoid all trans fats.

10. Vary the protein sources so that allergies don’t result

11. Caloric need varies depending on your activity level and lean body mass. We don’t recommend counting calories since they are not as critical as what the food is made of – protein/fat/carbs – but some people just have to have a number so I say 1500-2500. Since most of our clients exercise >4 days/week, I usually say 2500. This lets them know that they can handle quite a few calories of the right type.

12. Eat every few hours so that your body doesn’t ever go into starvation mode and produce cortisol. (Do not wake yourself at night to eat, your body needs that fasting time to clean house.)

13. Avoid all food allergens that you know of.

14. NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS. NONE. NOT EVEN A LITTLE. YES, THIS MEANS READING ALL LOW-CARB LABELS. YOU’LL GET USED TO IT.

These guidelines change as the lean body mass increases and ideal body comp is achieved.

You will find that it is actually easier to learn the principles than to use a set diet plan. Soon these will be incorporated into your daily routine and you won’t think about it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by lilKimmy2
    Add some circuit training to switch up her cardio a little, If her diet is "average" I am willing to bet that is her problem. Before my track season I started accumulating a litle extra than usual around the outside of my thighs and the best way to keep that in Check is by watching your dietary intake. A few SIMPLE items that work amazingly are MORNING CARDIO, with an ECA stack, and No eating past 7pm. This gives your body ample amount of time to process everything the body has ingested throughout the day and "cleanse" the system, because at night when we are asleep yourbody is still at work .When you say her diet is" average" I am willing to bet it is terrible. Thats fine and dandy but if you want results than she will have to start really taking care of herself and that starts with what she fuels her body with... I LOVE Charles Poliquin and I am going to post some guidelines he has written because I thought it was a very simple way of stating a dietary system for a beginner...

The Basic Dietary Principles:

1. If it doesn’t fly, swim, walk or is green, don’t eat it.

2. Only eat 50 g of fibrous carbs a day. You will need the high fiber foods to balance the high protein content.

3. Eat 25-30 g of protein 5 times a day – i.e. eat 5 times a day and avoid fasting. (N.B. this is for the average woman. Men and athletes have increased protein requirements.)

4. Always drink a post-work-out shake (no carbs) and add 5 g of glutamine. (Glutamine may be needed in higher amounts for some and contraindicated in others.)

5. Be sure to plan a cheat meal every 5 days.

6. Don’t rely on nuts and dairy as your primary protein sources.

7. Use organic meats, dairy, veggies as often as possible.

8. Use the glycemic index as a rough guide to keep the insulin under control but recall that the quantity of food also affects the impact on the blood sugar e.g. Carrots have a high glycemic index but are not usually eaten in large quantities so the impact on the blood sugar is low. Therefore, they are a good food choice for fibrous carbs. This concept is called the glycemic load and more info is available at www.mendosa.com.

9. Read labels and avoid all trans fats.

10. Vary the protein sources so that allergies don’t result

11. Caloric need varies depending on your activity level and lean body mass. We don’t recommend counting calories since they are not as critical as what the food is made of – protein/fat/carbs – but some people just have to have a number so I say 1500-2500. Since most of our clients exercise >4 days/week, I usually say 2500. This lets them know that they can handle quite a few calories of the right type.

12. Eat every few hours so that your body doesn’t ever go into starvation mode and produce cortisol. (Do not wake yourself at night to eat, your body needs that fasting time to clean house.)

13. Avoid all food allergens that you know of.

14. NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS. NONE. NOT EVEN A LITTLE. YES, THIS MEANS READING ALL LOW-CARB LABELS. YOU’LL GET USED TO IT.

These guidelines change as the lean body mass increases and ideal body comp is achieved.

You will find that it is actually easier to learn the principles than to use a set diet plan. Soon these will be incorporated into your daily routine and you won’t think about it any more.
    you must not have read the entire thread before you replied, as i stated b4 she has been working out for about a 1 and had a average diet during that, i said she started at new year with a 1000 calorie a day diet. her diet is fine.

lilKimmy2 is offline Female Member
    okay? 1000 calories of what??? I did see that... just tryin to help out buddy. Do what you want.

tretch187 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    ....and also have her try to work with reps in the 10 range. Depending on the cycling season I do reps in the 10-15 rep range and see the fat come off faster than anything. The lower reps I have seen for muscle mass but sounds like what she is looking for would be accomplished in 10-15 reps, what I normally do is aim for 10 reps, if I can do 10 then I keep going to failure as long as I can keep good form (except on back) If I can't to 10 then the weight needs to drop....
    [/B]

Not sure if I exactly agree with the rep range ideas. Although she may indeed get the desired result... that rep range will not be why

Quote Originally Posted by lilKimmy2
    okay? 1000 calories of what??? I did see that... just tryin to help out buddy. Do what you want.
    i guess u got offend however that was unintended.

1000 calories of food, lol healthy foods

she doesnt need protein shes not trying to build and make here muscles bigger.

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    ...........she doesnt need protein shes not trying to build and make here muscles bigger.
    If this is your honest belief than I believe the problem is still in the diet and would tend not to dismiss LilKimmy2 or Doby48. They are answering the question you asked. It is almost impossible to just burn fat from one spot. That little bit left on anybody is the hardest and requires everything to be in check.

BTW Even though she wants to tone her glutes certain amounts of protein are always required building to get bigger or not.

tretch187 is offline Associate Member

Um.... wow.

I am unsure if you are kidding, but I truly hope so.

Based on this statement alone that just proves that her diet is NOT in check and that is where she needs to start.

Sorry for the double post but...

And with regards to the comment that she is not trying to get her muscles bigger, she needs to concentrate on working her entire body. If she is not working her lower body then that is part of the answer, her routine is obviously not good either and needs to be worked on.

Contrary to belief of some, a woman WILL NOT get big without really, really, really trying in addition to a lot of work, great diet and some chemical help. Woman can get muscles sure but won't get big like you are thinking naturally or by accident. Your g/f will not get that big even lifting heavy weights regularily, we just aren't built that way

Flexor is offline Banned
    Everyone needs protein. Also it acts as a substitute for excessive carbs and fat which will put on weight.

Test is very important in building muscle as it triggers the release of other hormones and processes. Without levels seen in men, women build muscle much much slower unless they have naturally muscular genetics (muscular is not masculine, some women are very feminine and yet they naturally have a lot of muscle especially in the legs and butt )
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-17-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Without levels seen in men, women build muscle uch much slower unless they have naturally muscular genetics (muscular is not masculine, some women are very feminine and yet they naturally have a lot of muscle especially in the legs and butt )
    Agreed, just showing the point that women can build muscle but its not nearly at the rate of a man, and a woman will not "accidentlly" get the size of bodybuilder. This seems to be a very common misconception in women who are new to the workout world, they are afraid they will get too big when in reality that is not going to happen. Even for those blessed with good genes, the bodybuilder look is not so easily achieved as newbies seem to think.

Thread Information