Thread: exersize bike

biggun24 is offline Associate Member

exersize bike

could i use an exersize bike for cardio and get pretty good results as opose to running?

Flexor is offline Banned
    In terms of cardio it is slightly different. Running restricts the flow of blood back to the heart, whereas cycling allows it more freely because you are leaning over and there is a smoot continuous muscle contraction. Running will make your heart work harder to pump the blood because it receives less through veinous return. Cardiac output = veinous return.

In terms of leg exercise, they work the muscles differently. The ROM in cycling is higher than running, but mechanical leverages and disadvantages are different. Both are good for the legs, for cardio both are good. Try the bike, it is good.

biggun24 is offline Associate Member
    ok man thanks. so i can effectively loose fat by using the bike as my cardio? if so then great.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biggun24
    ok man thanks. so i can effectively loose fat by using the bike as my cardio? if so then great.
    yeh its probably better as your legs will take it easy. Do it for 45 mins at 65% MHR for fat burning

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by biggun24
    IMO the bike is wonderful for cardiovascular health,but it def wouldn't be my choice for burning fat effectively.A tread mill would be more efficient at that.The more muscle you use the more efficient the exercise(in regards to fat loss/burning cals).Think about the body english you use while walking on a tread mill as opposed to sitting on a stationary bike.

~Pinnacle~

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    IMO the bike is wonderful for cardiovascular health,but it def wouldn't be my choice for burning fat effectively.A tread mill would be more efficient at that.The more muscle you use the more efficient the exercise(in regards to fat loss/burning cals).Think about the body english you use while walking on a tread mill as opposed to sitting on a stationary bike.

~Pinnacle~
    Oh yeah good point. Of course its the muscles that are utilising the fat for energy, so you need more muscle recruitment. I would not have thought of that

Thread Information