golclub is offline New Member

How to train upper pecs?

Hey guys,

Can you tell me the best routine to hit upper pecs. Shall I stick to the incline bench press? I read somewhere that there is no specific exercise for this part of the chest as the pectorial is one muscle. They said that form of the pecs will be depend on the way your body is built

Flexor is offline Banned
    Yes it is said by some that there is no specific exercise that targets the lower or upper chest. However I don't believe that is the case because there is a different origin point because the lower pec inserts onto the sternum whereas the upper pec inserts onto the medial half of the clavicle. If you do incline bench, the upper pec contracts harder than the lower as shown by EMG evidence.

Also remember that your upper chest is only a tiny part of it, the lower pec accounts for most of the mass of the chest including quite a large part of the upper chest. Therefore the incline bench will only help develop that tiny band at the top of your chest, see the pic below. If you are lacking mass in the upper chest that is still part of the lower sternal pec head, then incline will not help you there.

Decide where you are lacking and determine which head of the pec will need working. Incline db, flat barbell and dips are great mass building exercises, don't worry too much about isolations. Also remember that pec shape is largely genetic, working it harder will only bring the shape quicker. The more developed you are the better and fuller the shape as you reach your genetic maximum. Exercising will not change your chest shape, it will only help you reach your natural shape quicker.

golclub is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Yes it is said by some that there is no specific exercise that targets the lower or upper chest....

Thanks, buddy!

Thread Information