Thread: How often ?

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member

How often ?

I was just wondering... about how often should I add more weight to my sets. I mean.. for example adding 5 Lbs a week for bench press. Well I workout my chest only once a week. So its technically only one chest workout which means I would be adding 5Lbs each time I workout my chest. Should I just try doing it.. and see how my body can handle it ? or You think its bit too fast ? Do it maybe every 2 weeks ?
    I remember back in a day when I would add 20 Lbs every week, working out my chest twice a week.. and couldnt even lift that sh!t and I got all pissed off at how weak I am But that was long time ago when I was starting to lift weights . Ive learned a lot by now still learning.

Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by UberSteroids
    I was just wondering... about how often should I add more weight to my sets. I mean.. for example adding 5 Lbs a week for bench press. Well I workout my chest only once a week. So its technically only one chest workout which means I would be adding 5Lbs each time I workout my chest. Should I just try doing it.. and see how my body can handle it ? or You think its bit too fast ? Do it maybe every 2 weeks ?
    I remember back in a day when I would add 20 Lbs every week, working out my chest twice a week.. and couldnt even lift that sh!t and I got all pissed off at how weak I am But that was long time ago when I was starting to lift weights . Ive learned a lot by now still learning.

Thanks Guys
    Add weight as often as you can. There is no exact formula, do what you can do, when you can do it. Really, lets say your plan was to add 5 lbs every 2 weeks and you ended up in a situation where you could have added 5 lbs in 2 consecutive weeks.....what would you do, wait a week to add the weight? The best thing I can tell you is to read, there is a lot of info out there on training that could help you.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    The way I determine if I am ready to increase the weights is I have a set range that I want to work in. So lets say for example I want to do between 8-12 reps of a given exercise... If I can't do 8 reps (and with good form) then I need to decrease the weight, but if I can do more than 12 reps and keeping good form then I need to increase the weight.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Thread Information