operationgetbig is offline Senior Member

dumbbells strength compared to barbell strength

if i can flatbench 225 12 times how would this correlate to flatbench dumbbells. should i be able to do 110's or 115's 12 times. so if i used 110lb dumbbells it would add up to about 220. this is about what i can do but my lifting partner can do alot more poundage with dumbbells vs the flat bench barbell. is it different for every person? should u be able to use more weight for one then the other?

Quote Originally Posted by operationgetbig
    if i can flatbench 225 12 times how would this correlate to flatbench dumbbells. should i be able to do 110's or 115's 12 times. so if i used 110lb dumbbells it would add up to about 220. this is about what i can do but my lifting partner can do alot more poundage with dumbbells vs the flat bench barbell. is it different for every person? should u be able to use more weight for one then the other?

usually db's are more difficult for most people than barbells. If you can bench 225 for 12 reps, then you'd probably db press 100's/12. But I'm a rare case with this myself, I can do more reps with db's as opposed to barbells. I love them b/ I'm able to keep the db's tighter to my chest and eliminate alot of shoulders with my chest work. I have these genetically overpowering shoulders that always take over my barbell stuff, I could go w/out training shoulders at all and they'd still look cannon ball to most people. I like some of the hammer strength chest machines as well, I'm able to adjust the seat height so I tend to push from my abdomen more and not the shoulders, hitting my chest much harder. I never do barbell presses anymore, almost everything is db's and I love it, no shoulder or joint problems, no pec tears, just solid results.

primetime1 is offline Member

`good quetion.. im also curious about this topic as i was just thinking the same thing only from dumbell bench to flat bentch???

id also apreciate some help here if you dont mind
    thanks

operationgetbig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    usually db's are more difficult for most people than barbells. If you can bench 225 for 12 reps, then you'd probably db press 100's/12. But I'm a rare case with this myself, I can do more reps with db's as opposed to barbells. I love them b/ I'm able to keep the db's tighter to my chest and eliminate alot of shoulders with my chest work. I have these genetically overpowering shoulders that always take over my barbell stuff, I could go w/out training shoulders at all and they'd still look cannon ball to most people. I like some of the hammer strength chest machines as well, I'm able to adjust the seat height so I tend to push from my abdomen more and not the shoulders, hitting my chest much harder. I never do barbell presses anymore, almost everything is db's and I love it, no shoulder or joint problems, no pec tears, just solid results.
    im starting something different in my workouts...for example for chest i'll work it out once a week. and for 4 weeks of chest i'll just use dumbbells. i'll do heavy one week then light the next...but always till failure. today i did 85lb dumbbells for flatbench dumbbells 20times. this is my "light" chest week...next week i'll go heavy around 120/125lb dumbbells. then after 4 weeks of this i'll do 4 weeks of barbell exercise in the same manner. i've never done a routine like this. im gonna do it for like 12 weeks and see how it works

im starting something different in my workouts...for example for chest i'll work it out once a week. and for 4 weeks of chest i'll just use dumbbells. i'll do heavy one week then light the next...but always till failure. today i did 85lb dumbbells for flatbench dumbbells 20times. this is my "light" chest week...next week i'll go heavy around 120/125lb dumbbells. then after 4 weeks of this i'll do 4 weeks of barbell exercise in the same manner. i've never done a routine like this. im gonna do it for like 12 weeks and see how it works
    That sounds like a solid routine right there

chest6 is offline Banned
    Its different for everyone. I have seen people that can rep out 315 for 10 reps on barbell and struggle with 100s on dbs

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked

I'm with you bro, I can't really do Flat bench anymore. Hurts my shoulder too much.

From what I have seen, it is the uncoordinated guys that have trouble with dumbells. Two guys that I train with are very strong on the exercises that do not require coordination.

Example: Lets say that me and my training partner are doing this chest routine and he has more absolute strength than I do.

Machine Press (no coordination required): He will lift a considerable amount more than me.

Barbell Press (some coordination required): We lift about the same.

DB press (requires signifigant coordination): I lift a considerable amount more than he.

Thread Information