PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member

Arrow To whoever here does timed reps

What kind of technique do you guys think is best for lifting weights? I'm starting a natural bulk and my body has started to adapt and just lifting for strength isn't putting on weight. I'm making strength gains right now as if I'm on cycle, which is great but for some reason this time around it isn't putting on mass. My philosophy has always been with strength comes mass but I wanna try something new.

So I've been doing some reading on timed reps and there's different opinions on whether they work for putting on mass. Some guys like them others don't. I've read some people do 3 second positives (up) and 1 second negatives (down), or 5 sec positives and 5 second negatives, or 5 sec positives and 1 sec negatves, etc.

So for those of you who do this does it work for you as for putting on muscle and not strength? If so then what's the best timing for doing positve and negative movements?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    What kind of technique do you guys think is best for lifting weights? I'm starting a natural bulk and my body has started to adapt and just lifting for strength isn't putting on weight. I'm making strength gains right now as if I'm on cycle, which is great but for some reason this time around it isn't putting on mass. My philosophy has always been with strength comes mass but I wanna try something new.

So I've been doing some reading on timed reps and there's different opinions on whether they work for putting on mass. Some guys like them others don't. I've read some people do 3 second positives (up) and 1 second negatives (down), or 5 sec positives and 5 second negatives, or 5 sec positives and 1 sec negatves, etc.

So for those of you who do this does it work for you as for putting on muscle and not strength? If so then what's the best timing for doing positve and negative movements?
    Over at t - nation . com, the strength coaches are very high on reducing momentum and working the muscles perform the work. Ian King, Aussie Strength Coach, is very big on timed reps.
    The muscle fiber damage occurs on the eccentric muscle contraction. So if you're goal is muscle hypertrophy, emphasize the negative portion of the lift. You could use a 2s concentric contraction, 1s isometric hold, 4s eccentric, and, finally, a 1s isometric hold. This will reduce resistance but increase time under tension.

sputnik is offline Banned
    Interesting topic this...when I first started to really train properly with weights (as opposed to just copying everyone else as i first did) I got into HIT and timed reps also....I used to do 5 secs up/5 secs down or something like that for most exercises....did I get stronger? Yes. Did it cause significant hypertrophy? No. Maybe it was just me though.

xmenWolverine is offline Junior Member
    doing timed reps will cause you to get better muscle density if done at a slower speed on the negative. Try to limit rest to 2 minutes as this keeps fatigue at its maximum and then you will struggle. To long a rest helps you recover and when rested your strenght level is high and able to assist.

Thread Information