eljeffe is offline Junior Member

Starting Mixed Martial Arts training

3 times a week and was wondering if working out with wieghts 3x week will be too much for my body. My body has a tendency to overtrain pretty easy, I get my best results with lots of rest and minimal sets. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by eljeffe
    3 times a week and was wondering if working out with wieghts 3x week will be too much for my body. My body has a tendency to overtrain pretty easy, I get my best results with lots of rest and minimal sets. Thanks for the help.
    You know what to do, like you said minimal sets and dont take your sets past failure.

The best thing that I could tell you is to do everything that you can to recover. Really pay attention to your diet...even if it is good now, you know it can be better. After about 4 weeks (or less) of training with weights and MA, you will know exactly what your body needs. So, again, focus on recovery. Do you have any questions that are more specific? What time of day will you weight train? do MA? what is your diet? what meals are you having after and prior to each of your training sessions?

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Depends on what your current routine is like. I do martial arts, cycle and lift weights so it is possible. I have been in Tae Kwon Do for many years and am a Black Belt. I don't stay in any studio for too long because I am just too busy, but every couple of years I will find a studio and stay in it for a while to train with others, when I am doing that then I will go 3x a week and continue my strength training routine. I end up cutting out my cardio when I am heavy into my martial arts. Other times like now I am doing martial arts on my own 1x a week (which is not nearly as intensive as going to a studio) lifting weights and cycling.

So the answer is, depends on the shape you are in and just listen to your body. The first few weeks of martial arts are the ones that will really kick your a$$ until you get used to it (the workouts will always kick your a$$ but at least you will know what to expect later on )
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

If you are going into MMA training, I assume you will be doing: BJJ, Boxing or MT...correct. These workouts are not compareable with TKD...I have done all of them.

So, what MA's are you going to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by catabolic kid
    If you are going into MMA training, I assume you will be doing: BJJ, Boxing or MT...correct. These workouts are not compareable with TKD...I have done all of them.

So, what MA's are you going to practice.
    Good call, I have seen so many posts about Karate, Tae Kwon Do and Kickboxing I jumped to an assumption here. Glad you caught that.
    Last edited by doby48; 01-18-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    Good call, I have seen so many posts about Karate & Tae Kwon Do I jumped to an assumption here. Glad you caught that.
    I am glad you did not take that the wrong way, TKD is great for fitness and such....but, BJJ and Muay Thai are crazy....it also depends a lot on if he is wanting to compete or if he is doing this for fun. I assume he eventually wants to compete. Believe me, I am doing BJJ everynight for 2 hours and I train 2-3 times a week with weights(now that is). His nutrition and rest are so important now more than before. I just went out today and loaded up on Casein protein and Glutmine peptides to try and help my recovery!

BTW, if you are into MA, you should try BJJ. We have 3 girls in our club that are really dedicated and do well in the class.

I might have to check that out, BJJ sound pretty cool and its something I have thought about trying but haven't yet. I have done the 3 mentioned above (Karate, TKD and KB). I'll have to check around and see if I can find a studio anywhere near me, thats the tricky part

Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    I might have to check that out, BJJ sound pretty cool and its something I have thought about trying but haven't yet. I have done the 3 mentioned above (Karate, TKD and KB). I'll have to check around and see if I can find a studio anywhere near me, thats the tricky part

http://bjj.org/academies/
    Last edited by catabolic kid; 01-18-2006 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catabolic kid
    Awsome, thanks!

Thread Information