Thread: Tricep workout

SlightlySt00pid is offline Associate Member

Tricep workout

can I substitute sitting tricep dumbell extentions for lying barbell extentions? I've hit a plateu with the lying barbell extentions and want to mix it up, just wondering if sitting dumbell extentions would be a good way to go, or if theres another more effective excercise. I'm also doing pushdowns and I'm using all the weight on the machine, is there an excercise that would be equivalent to pushdowns using free weights?

Massacre is offline Senior Member
    I'd stick to heavy CGBP. That machine sucks anyhow. I don't even bother with either or.

I do heavy CGBP, dips, and rope and I'm done.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SlightlySt00pid
    can I substitute sitting tricep dumbell extentions for lying barbell extentions? I've hit a plateu with the lying barbell extentions and want to mix it up, just wondering if sitting dumbell extentions would be a good way to go, or if theres another more effective excercise. I'm also doing pushdowns and I'm using all the weight on the machine, is there an excercise that would be equivalent to pushdowns using free weights?
    With all of these exercises, the upper arm is flexed to different degrees. Seated Tricep DB Ext. have the upper arms parallel to your head. Lying Barbell Extensions have the uppers arms perpendicular to the torso. With Pushdowns, the upper arms are down and at your sides.
    Find substitutes for these exercises by checking out the degree of flexion at the shoulder. The best way to do this is hit a website with many examples of different triceps exercises.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    all u need is some heavy ass cgbps and skullcrushers

Flexor is offline Banned
    Yeah man, close grips or dips, followed by skullcrushers. Two exercises are enough.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaAce
    You never change your triceps exercises? Or do you just go with different versions of these exercises: reverse, close-grip bench presses, supine db skullcrushers, etc.?

Last edited by MASTER; 01-19-2006 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    You never change your triceps exercises? Or do you just go with different versions of these exercises: reverse, close-grip bench presses, supine db skullcrushers, etc.?
    I do an hit sort of training program so i only use cgbps for triceps since they are by far the most effective tricep exercise imo, but skullcrushers aren't bad either. I don't see the point in any sissy exercises, I only do compounds, no pushdowns or kickbacks for me!

Flexor is offline Banned
    I do an hit sort of training program so i only use cgbps for triceps since they are by far the most effective tricep exercise imo, but skullcrushers aren't bad either. I don't see the point in any sissy exercises, I only do compounds, no pushdowns or kickbacks for me!
    NICe

Screw all the fancy exercises. The bottom line is ELBOW Position does not alter tricep recruitment. Different shoulder positions stretch the long head which can be good for variation, but other than that not a lot can change. Basic biomechanics like the close grip bench and dips are great, plus a different constant tension isolating exercise like skulls is enough.

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    a good technique to try is first doing 3-4 reps of something heavy, then immediately lower the weight and do a set of 15-20 reps. repeat this process about 5-6 times for each exercise. this works for any muscle group, not just tris. btw, for me, my tris responded well to total fatigue, as in i do as many sets as i possibly can, usually around 20-25.

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Heavy cable push downs with 2/3 tempo works really damn good for me.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Close-grips and dips are great multi-joint tricep exercises. I think what everyone is missing here is that not everyone is a bodybuilder and trains differently. Some individuals train the total body in a workout or some, like me, divide their days into upper and lower body days. If I'm performing horizontal pressing, horizontal rowing, vertical pulling, and vertical pushing, already, by adding dips or close-grips, it would be too much for my shoulders to handle. I like to place skullcrushers or triceps pushdowns as my single-joint exercise for the triceps.

Smedman101 is offline Associate Member
    Bros, it is a common missed part of the arm, you ever see a guy with wide arms from the side? but once you see the arm from the backside it has no thickness....? YOU got to hit the inside, try some straight bar push downs...go wide..outside shoulder width...try that tonight!!

I started the wide grip(extra wide) a year ago and added 2" to my arm...if you dont hit this part it lags behind and needs to catch up with the other parts that many of you hit...Wide will help you get passed that paltue.

Smedman

39.5Swamp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Massacre
    I'd stick to heavy CGBP. That machine sucks anyhow. I don't even bother with either or.

I do heavy CGBP, dips, and rope and I'm done.

I would agree with this. I also throw in one arm reverse-grip pulldowns to have atleast one exercise with one arm at a time. just my .02.

And throw some weight on the dips.

speedtraining is offline Senior Member
    what ever you do high reps and good form will prevail in getting them boys to grow.

mcpeepants is offline Senior Member
    how close do your hands need to be when you do skullcrushers. I feel a wierd pain (not painful) in my right wrist when I do it. also, do you guys ever use dumbells instead of a bar for skullcrushers and which one do you prefer?

valcon is offline Associate Member
    you may be going to close with you grip, try opening a bet...... dumbells are great and less stress on the wrist...... i perfur the bar, but i dont have problems with my wrist " valcon "

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    something similar but i stick to dips(with good form) heavy french press or tricep dumbell pullovers no need to do crappy isos like tricep extentions just stick with heavy compounds until you build enough to cut and shape.occasionally i will change exercises but not often.

Thread Information