Part of Lat or Part of chest?

What is the muscle in between your lat and your pec, below your armpit? Ity lies on top of your ribs, and i've only noticed it within the past few months. How do you work this muscle, i like it.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Sounds like the serratus anterior to me, do you mean the fibres running along the top of the ribs? Its doubtful its the pec minor since that is hidden under the pec. Otherwise I cannot think of anything in that position, the teres major is hidden next to the lat on the back, not the side so it can't be that.
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-19-2006 at 06:21 PM.

yeah its in a hard-to-explain position. put your arm above your head like you're stretching you tri. Now follow your ribs up towards your arm pit. Once you stop feeling your ribs there's a muscle that stops before your arm pit. Thats the muscle. My right one is bigger than my left, but i don't know if it's genetics because i don't know if i'm working it or its just coming along with everything else. It seems like wide grip pull ups would be working it, but what do i know.

Flexor is offline Banned
    You know a lot more than some

Yeh its the serratus, it should feel like thick fibres on top of your ribs and it will end at the top of your arm pit. It is involved with pulling the shoulder blades apart, and the pec minor and pec major assist in this. Basically this is the opposite action of the traps, which pull the shoulder blades together. Its called protraction and retraction. You can work this muscle with incline serratus raises like in the link below

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...lderRaise.html

Usually though it grows anyway with bench pressing if you don't fix your scapulae together on the bench. Pressups are good for working it, as are something to do with ropes although I don't know what.

thanks flexor, i knew you knew the answer, it was just a matter of me explaining it in terms that make sense. Sounds good to me, im going to try it tomorrow after legs just to see what it's like. Should i normally work with in with chest or doesn't it really matter?

Great link btw.

oh, one more thing flex. Should i use a wide grip or a close grip for maximum growth?

Thread Information