Jizzle is offline New Member

trying to hit chest not shoulders

It seems like everytime i work out my chest I hardly get any pump in my pectorals but a huge pump in my shoulders. As a result my chest is small and my shoulders stand out way more. Does anyone have any training advice or had this problem as well? My typical chest routine usually looks something like this.

4 sets flat/incline barbell press
    4 sets of flat/incline/decline dumbell press
    4 sets of cable cross over
    4 sets of butterflies flat/incline

Flexor is offline Banned
    A lot of people have shoulders that are superior to their chest, its because of genetics. You can't really cut out the use of the shoulders in chest work even with a wide grip and your elbows further out. Scapulae retraction doesn't work either.

ditch all the barbell stuff first. If your genetically powerful in the shoulders chances are you have a high chest, so you want to isolate the chest better by making decline work a staple in your chest routine. I like some of the hammetr strength machines for my chest as well, I can adjust the seat height so I'm forced to push more from the lower chest/abdomen rather than shoulders. On your incline db presses, use a lower incline such as a 20-30 degree incline rather than a 45-60 deg. pushups work well too as a superset b/ db presses or hammer strength machines. I have the same problem you do, and all I've been doing is utilizing these tactics lately and my chest has exploded into new growth. Oh yeah, flys too. Guys like us build really well with flyes and dips as well. I steer away from the pec deck and do more db flys. Again, the pec deck its easy to incorporate shoulders. Good luck and happy growing!!

also, try only working shoulder pressing eo wk for awhile, gives them rest so they dont burn out on chest days as easy.

also, when doing your db presses, keep the db's/arms tighter to your ribcage/chest on both the negative and the push, totally knocks out shoulders.

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Agree with stacked with the exception of keeping flat bench - I recommend cutting out cables and taking it to something like this...

4 sets flat barbell press
    4 sets of decline dumbell press
    4 sets seated press machine
    4 sets of decline flies
    Dips and pushups as you deem necessary.

Thread Information