paddy155 is offline Member

does anyone time their set's ?

was thinking of taking a stop watch with me to the gym.do a set,rest for two minute's and so on.is this a good idea ?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy155
    was thinking of taking a stop watch with me to the gym.do a set,rest for two minute's and so on.is this a good idea ?
    It's an excellent way monitoring your workouts. Strength Coach Charles Staley is a big proponent of timing your workouts. Let's say you bench pressed 225lbs for 5 reps. You took a 5 minute rest period and repeated your performance. You next workout you bench 225lbs for 5 reps again. You only rest 3 minutes this time. You repeat 225lbs for 5 reps. If you didn't time your rest period, it would have appeared that you have plateaued. What actually happened was you increased your work capacity. This is very important. As long as you perform more work, you will improve.
    Staley calls his method Escalating Density Training. Check out the article. He times the whole workout, not just rest periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    It's an excellent way monitoring your workouts. Strength Coach Charles Staley is a big proponent of timing your workouts. Let's say you bench pressed 225lbs for 5 reps. You took a 5 minute rest period and repeated your performance. You next workout you bench 225lbs for 5 reps again. You only rest 3 minutes this time. You repeat 225lbs for 5 reps. If you didn't time your rest period, it would have appeared that you have plateaued. What actually happened was you increased your work capacity. This is very important. As long as you perform more work, you will improve.
    Staley calls his method Escalating Density Training. Check out the article. He times the whole workout, not just rest periods.
    amen brotha. thats the motto i lift by. I like to time my sets for a week out of every 12. It adds a change, and it definatly taxes you more if you do less time than you normally would.

ive been doing this forever...i carry a stopwatch liek a freakin weirdo in the gym and just stare at it till it hits 60 seconds

Thread Information