X-Rated is offline New Member

weight for back?

How much weight do yall do on your bent barbell rows? I was talking to a friend of mine who read in an article about a bodybuilder, whose name i forgot, that would use 80 lbs max on his barbell rows and just hold and squeeze for a sec and get full contraction. Have any of you guys heard of this? let me hear some feed back

chest6 is offline Banned
    I usually end with 315. Sometimes I can get 335. Sets of 8. I have experimented with very light weight..slow reps and squeezing at the top, it has its place. Maybe nark will chime in I was talking to him about this the other day.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I usually end with 315. Sometimes I can get 335. Sets of 8. I have experimented with very light weight..slow reps and squeezing at the top, it has its place. Maybe nark will chime in I was talking to him about this the other day.
    Is this bent rows????

If so...you really are ronnie C!...

Anthony C is offline Associate Member
    Last year I was rowing around 230 for 12 reps ,and my traps and arms saw alot of growth .I have now droped the weight and really focus on the movement of the lift and how it is hiting the lats vs everything else ..And back is geting better width now ..Anthony

i think i remember thats what the guy was doing it for was for width.

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    Is this bent rows????

no kidding....i end with like 225 for 6 if im lucky

heavy rows just dont seem to do it for me, thats why i was asking this to get some opinions

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Heavy rows is where it's at for me... 315 lbs is my max.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated
    i think i remember thats what the guy was doing it for was for width.
    I can understand, reducing the weight to concentrate more on consciously contracting the muscles of the back.. but 80 lbs is ridiculous.

wow...315 is crazy azz weight....do you touch your chest for these?

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Heavy rows is where it's at for me... 315 lbs is my max.

I can understand, reducing the weight to concentrate more on consciously contracting the muscles of the back.. but 80 lbs is ridiculous.
    ill ask my friend and see who it was and try to find the article for ya. prolly wont be till sunday tho...i just got off work and im going to workout then i got the same schedule tomorow

tjt
    tjt is offline Junior Member
    A bodybuilder rowing only 80lb max.WTF?!?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    Is this bent rows????

ya man bent over rows..pretty close to parallel..I try to stay as parallel as I can..but theres a lot of pressure on the lower back when I do that. Sometimes I'll come up a little if its too much..but no less than 70 degrees or so.

i do more than most..

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I think it is silly to sacrifice good form for heavy weights on these... your torso should be close to parallel to the floor... and you should be pulling up into your abdominals - if you stand up with the bar and get all sloppy... you have wasted an excelent movement...

With that said, most should be able to do well over 80lbs - it's a nice compound movement that lets you put a good, heavy stress on the back muscles... however, like I said... there is a point of diminishing returns where you start sacrifcing gains in strength for gains in ego...

Your bent Barbell Row strength should probably be at least 75% your Flat Bench Press strength... if I had to guess for balance sakes..

Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    wow...315 is crazy azz weight....do you touch your chest for these?
    Touches my upper abdomen on every rep.. if it doesn't, it isn't a bent over row.. it'd be a pseudo-rowing-deadlift-thingey

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    I think it is silly to sacrifice good form for heavy weights on these... your torso should be close to parallel to the floor... and you should be pulling up into your abdominals - if you stand up with the bar and get all sloppy... you have wasted an excelent movement...
    Agreed

With that said, most should be able to do well over 80lbs - it's a nice compound movement that lets you put a good, heavy stress on the back muscles... however, like I said... there is a point of diminishing returns where you start sacrifcing gains in strength for gains in ego...
    Agreed

Your bent Barbell Row strength should probably be at least 75% your Flat Bench Press strength... if I had to guess for balance sakes..
    I have to question this part tho Warrior.

How does one arrive at that estimation?

Personally i think the estimation should be based around your deadlift strength.. not your bench strength: even tho both the bench and parallel rows are working in a similar plane.

I'm naturally a stronger puller.. thus my bent row is heavier than my bench.

Holla

~Nark

There is probably a lot of variables in that Nark, I was just giving an estimate to throw out the possibility of 80 pounds being enough for stimualting enough back muscle recruitment...

But if you are naturally a strong puller - than you probaby have some good forearms and biceps... as well as a well-developed back - which IMHO, was a result of some proper training on your part - not so much a "natural" phenomenon. People weak in pulling movements would be weak in not only back - but also arm strength. Just like Triceps strength can cripple Bench Press power...

There is probably a lot of variables in that Nark, I was just giving an estimate to throw out the possibility of 80 pounds being enough for stimualting enough back muscle recruitment...

But if you are naturally a strong puller - than you probaby have some good forearms and biceps... as well as a well-developed back - which IMHO, was a result of some proper training on your part - not so much a "natural" phenomenon. People weak in pulling movements would be weak in not only back - but also arm strength. Just like Triceps strength can cripple Bench Press power...
    Understood... and concur

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    I consider myself a strong guy, all my lifts are with good weight but my bent over rows just isnt there for me, i can bench 400lbs+ but my rows with good form is 275lbs for 9 yesterday, but i do like to go slow on this movement and squeeze tight for a 2 count at the top

i talked to the guy a lil while ago and said it was lee haney. it was in a magazine that he read. maybe he read wrong and maybe it said 180. i thought it was low, especially if i was doing like 2-3 times as much than a pro bodybuilder. thats why i asked to make sure i was getting the most out of those.

chest6 is offline Banned
    My row is actually much higher than my bench right now. My bench is still lagging..I haven't recovered much of my strength from my chest injury awhile ago. Currently my bench is 255x8 and my bent over row is 335x8...Interesting because my bench used to blow everything out of the water (thus the username,chest6)

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    My row is actually much higher than my bench right now. My bench is still lagging..I haven't recovered much of my strength from my chest injury awhile ago. Currently my bench is 255x8 and my bent over row is 335x8...Interesting because my bench used to blow everything out of the water (thus the username,chest6)
    This is very strage - are you sure you are using the right form? I know it took me several years to really understand the correct way to do Barbell Rows...

335 is quite heavy...

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    This is very strage - are you sure you are using the right form? I know it took me several years to really understand the correct way to do Barbell Rows...

335 is quite heavy...
    I would guess a supinated-grip with a trunk angle of around 70 degrees. Still, that is impressive if there is minimal momentum involved.

Thread Information