gocards1 is offline New Member

elliptical question

i have been using the elliptical alot lately and really like it. I usually go for 40mins at 4mph which is a good jog. Last night I decided to try it out at the highest level of resistance and at a slower pace. I really liked the workout I got out of that better than the 40min workout. Albeit I cannot go 40 mins on the max setting but after 15-20 mins I was drippind with sweat. Question is is one of these better than the other or should I do a combo of them both. I usually do 4-5 days/week and I have lost 30lbs so far and looking to loose 20 more. Let me know. Thanks.

lilKimmy2 is offline Female Member
    It really depends what you are trying to achieve... If you are aiming for fatloss it has been proven that THR @ 60-65% is optimal. You are increasing the intensity of your workout which may burn more calories but you will be working at 85-95% of your max.........what are your goals when doing cardio??? If I know this than I can answer your question directly...

gocards1 is offline New Member

???

fat loss is what im looking for. Working out at 65% just doesnt seem like im getting much work in, I like to get after it. in the 80% on up range. What is working out at that higher level gonna do?????
    Last edited by gocards1; 01-20-2006 at 03:29 PM.

lilKimmy2 is offline Female Member
    Well let me phrase it like this.... it's like sprinting instead of long distance running-The intensity is high which WILL burn calories quicker, but also uses the the glycogen for its fuel(AKA carbohydrates) therefore it will be using any source of glycogen in it's path before getting it's energy from fat stores........so while 65-70% is optimal I guess if you can't stay interested in doing cardio that way then some is better than none

Thread Information