Steve80 is offline Associate Member

Bicep Routine????

Ok I am trying to bulk up my biceps this is my routine:

Preacher Curls
    Machine Single Arm Cable Curls
    Machine Single Arm across the body cable curl (not sure of exact name)
    Alternating Dumbbell curls
    Bicep Pulldowns (use lat pull machine)
    Forearm Curls

All are 2 sets of 10, third till failure.

After reading around I found I might be doing something wrong. I want my Biceps to be bulkier and peakier (Yeah I know I made those words up most likely). I saw some of those exercises make your Bi's more long looking and thats not what I want. I am tall so I already look long. What would be a good rountine to bulk them up and really make 'em peak?

I just started a bulking diet, plan to stay on it till june, hoping to add 2 inches to my guns. I am keeping a log of everything I eat and what I lift each day. Any help would be appreaciated.

HUNTER1 is offline Member
    i'd like to hear some comments from the pros as well --> doc, swole?

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    i think you are way over doing bi's if ur using that many exercises in one session imho,unless your a pro or a very seasoned bber i would just stick to basics,the exercises u mention seem fine but id cut down to 2-3 exercises at the most,concentrate heavily on form and maybe some super setting or pre-exhaust methods,i like the preacher but my favorite at the moment is chins(lean way back start fully stretched and squeeze at the top.good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by helium3
    i think you are way over doing bi's if ur using that many exercises in one session imho,unless your a pro or a very seasoned bber i would just stick to basics,the exercises u mention seem fine but id cut down to 2-3 exercises at the most,concentrate heavily on form and maybe some super setting or pre-exhaust methods,i like the preacher but my favorite at the moment is chins(lean way back start fully stretched and squeeze at the top.good luck.
    this is sound advice

if you work back the same day as bi's, you should only need max of 6 sets total iso exercises on your bi's

you are definatly over training

preacher curls don't work bi's, they work brachials

i suggest inclined supinating curls along with straight bar curls

to create width (if looking straight at yourself front and center) i found that doing any type of curls with your palms facings flat up and out works better, as apposed to the type of grip you get with an ez bar or hammer curls. i would say those ez bar/ hammer grips elongate the bicep. might want to get a second opinion on that tho...

oh, and your doing way to much isolation on your bi's in one day. do big heavy compound movements on your back first and only do a couple moves isolating the bicep towards the end of your workout in the same day. trust me, i switched it up to that and got great results.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyrotation92
    to create width (if looking straight at yourself front and center) i found that doing any type of curls with your palms facings flat up and out works better (supinating curls), as apposed to the type of grip you get with an ez bar or hammer curls. i would say those ez bar/ hammer grips elongate the bicep. might want to get a second opinion on that tho...

oh, and your doing way to much isolation on your bi's in one day. do big heavy compound movements on your back first and only do a couple moves isolating the bicep towards the end of your workout in the same day. trust me, i switched it up to that and got great results.
    you are correct, most e-z bar curls work brachials, most significantly preacher curls. the brachial is a small muscle that wraps under your bicep at the bottom, or close to the inside of your elbow. Working the brachial would in a sense increase the length of your bicep being that it is at the bottom.

i only do a couple sets of preacher curls once a month, if that. I feel like i get enough brachial work through pull ups and rows to isolate them every week.

I prolly should have said this but I only work Bi's on this day. I work back a seperate day. I do one muscle group a day, just switched it up to that like a week ago. Seems to work better, I feel sore for once.

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    so if your going for width and focusing on the bis.. do like 3 sets of straight bar curls and 3 sets of incline hammers? that sound about right

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTheBuckeT21
    so if your going for width and focusing on the bis.. do like 3 sets of straight bar curls and 3 sets of incline hammers? that sound about right
    that sounds good, i always end on a heavy set (6 reps) of concentration curls because they have worked for me for a long time...

STEVE80...maybe try doing deads on your bicep day... the signals of "GROW D*MNIT" given to your body when you do deads, will almost guaranteed help you bulk your bis...

kyjelly is offline Banned
    I just do barbell and dumbell curls....about 4-5 sets each, from 6-10 reps......all from % max to fail of course.

if i were you i would do 6 sets, 3 sets of flat BB curls (8,6,4-5)and do these heavy, then a few sets of hammers (8,6,4) really send your body the message that these muscles need to get big...NOW!

I am noticing that with all your guys advice, there isnt very many different lifts or sets. Are you sure thats enough? I would only be in the gym like 15 minutes. My body seems to need to do alot to get results.

I really want my Bi's bulkier and peaks peakier. I think two inches growth by june is doable.
    Last edited by Steve80; 03-16-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    if i were you i would do 6 sets, 3 sets of flat BB curls (8,6,4-5)and do these heavy, then a few sets of hammers (8,6,4) really send your body the message that these muscles need to get big...NOW!

Now hammers, arent those dumbell curls, but you curl like you would a hammer? Or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by kyjelly
    Now hammers, arent those dumbell curls, but you curl like you would a hammer? Or am I wrong?
    hammer curls are curls with your thumbs facing up throughout the entire ROM rather than your palms facing up

Quote Originally Posted by kyjelly

You hold the dumbell up and down, instead of sideways, if that makes sense lol

edit: gangster beat me lol

yeah thanks, I got it.

spyderUSMC is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Nova...6 sets done HARD....I like to hammer my bi's and then do back on the same day, that way I isolate my lats more and assist less with my bi's

Anymore suggestions? I am really on a bulkier peakier bicep kick!

well if you want to do a little variation that has worked for my peaks...
    when you do your BB curls, consider -one rep- half way up, and then all the way up. you will need to lighten the weight and don't cheat go all the way down and really TORCH em, so your ego should be left in the car on on your bike (depending on how old you are) it really worked for my peaks...

Thread Information