Freebird34 is offline New Member

Question about muscle fibers?

I wanted to know if someone could separate or give me some good laymens literature concerning what muscle groups are classified as being dominated by Type I, Type IIA, and Type IIB muscle fibers.
    Last edited by Freebird34; 01-27-2006 at 12:47 PM.

IN LAYMENS TERMS....

Fast Twitch Fibers: Used when you apply maximum force. Bench pressing a weight with maximum effort. Sprinting at your maximum speed....each stride requires maximum force (explosive activities)

Slow Twitch Fibers: Bench Pressing a weight many times where each repetition does not require maximum force. Joggin a long distance....each stride you take does not require maximum force. (endurance realted activities)

I guess that I was looking for an answer more like "The chest is dominated by ____fibers and the Traps are dominated by ____fibers, etc.) I want to see the rep range that would be the most beneficial for each muscle group.
    Last edited by Freebird34; 01-27-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird34
    I guess that I was looking for an answer more like "The chest is dominated by ____Twitch fibers and the Traps are dominated by ____Twitch fibers, etc.) I want to see the rep range that would be the most beneficial for each muscle group.
    You probably know that many people have different percentages of fast and slow twitch....like Ronnie would have a high percentage of fast twitch fibers while a person who has a hard time gaining muscle or is not a very good athlete would have a higher percentage of slow twitch.

What are your goals...are you BBing?

I am looking for the most size for my buck. I no longer play any sports, so I am not too concerned with strength...I just want to look good.

Well, you will never be able to know exactly what percentage of fibers you have in each muscle group. I would say that most of you big muscle groups (Chest, Back, Legs) are probably dominated by fast twitch fibers...but, again, it is different for everyone. I think the best way to build muscle is to constantly change everything in your routine form the exercises, reps, weight, order, rest periods to the style in which you train. Train mostly BBing and then every once in a while look into powerlifting routines. The bottomline is: you have to give your body a reason to grow. If you decide on a particular rep range after a while your body will adapt and have no reason to grow.

Thanx...you have been a big help!

Here is what I am going to be doing for the next 8 weeks: One week I will perform a typical BBing routine and I will do 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps on all exercises. The next week I will do the same routine except I will perform 3-4 sets of 3-5 reps. Alternate these rep ranges every week....in other words, one week use real heavy weight and the next use a moderate weight with a little more volume. Remember I am going to do this for 8 weeks and then I will do another routine...possibly a modified version of westside. The routine I described above is simple but it is good. Also, you can learn a lot about different training routines at: www.eliteFTS.com

Good Luck

Thanx Again!

Thread Information