massripped is offline Junior Member

Rear delt exercise question

Are bent over dumbbell raises a good substitute for the rear delt machine.

FREAK2 is offline New Member
    yes bent over side raises are good for substitute. hell you can even superset them and get a good a pump.

eagle66 is offline Junior Member
    i prefer any free weights to a machine. unless you have shoulder problems

Thanks man. For some reason the rear delt machine bothers my shoulders. I'll try out the bent over and do it on the incline also see how it goes. I use to use the incline but I havent used it in like 10 years.

I hear you Eagle66. The odd thing is the machine is bothering my shoulder. Something about the movement on the machine i guess.

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    A good exercise that you can superset with those rear dumbell raises are single cables while bending over forward start with right hand and grab the right cable crossing in front of you )and extending your elbow with your palms facing the floor (make any sense), sorry but hard to describe. This always makes my delts explode. If anyone knows the name of those, please fell free to butt in, I'd like to know the name. :-)

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Sit at the cable low row machine and use a wide grip bar. Hold at chest level and keep elbows up (upper arms parallel to the floor) and pull back. Do not move upper body and use a weight you can manage. Nice burn.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Can also do this:

Cable cross over you start high with the cable crossed in front of you then pull down and back a little bit. Another way is to, put the cable cross at about shoulder height or tiny bit higher, and use the things you put around your legs instead of handles again grap the oppsite one so your arms are crossed and then strighten then out, kinda like a reverse fly.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Originally posted by Diesel
    My favorite is to take an incline bench and put your chest on the bench.
    Has been great for my rear delt devolpment!

Thanks Babyweight. i'm pretty sure i know what you are talking about. But i think when you are bending over and start with your right hand the lower pulley will be on your left side and you bring it across your body from left to right and vice versa. That's the way i envision it. I think this is what you are saying.

Pete235 and eye_candy thanks for the suggestions.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    A few other good alternatives 1. Face pulls- Stand at a Lat machine use a rope and pull to your face keeping your elbows as high possible.
    2. External rotations with bands.
    Good luck,

xxxl83

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Ok most of whats been said above it right. Something else to remember, to isolate your rear delts your arms should be kept straight, pams down and elbows kept either level with or forward of your ears. This is only done through using managable weights, there's no need to go heavy with these. When you go too heavy your arms will tend to move backwards and you'll lose a great rear delt workout and it will hit your upper lats more.

Also do your rear delts on you back day as their actually part of your back and play only a small part in your shoulder workouts and a major part in back workouts.

Bouncer

David B. is offline Member
    Originally posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer

Also do your rear delts on you back day as their actually part of your back and play only a small part in your shoulder workouts and a major part in back workouts.

Bouncer
    I agree. I like to separate shoulder workouts over two days, doing the push excercises on chest day and the pull exercises (shrugs, rear delts) on back day.

--dnb

Thread Information