theron is offline Associate Member

Wing like lats from pull ups!

How many here love to do pull ups? I hear it's the best kind of lat workout to do. Is it difficult for you at first to do many?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I never really do them that much but they are good for building the lats

03733+$ is offline Associate Member
    I rather do lat pulldowns!
    Than pullups!
    Because I have long arms and I cant do that many, but Ive been forcing my self to do them lately!

BigD is offline Associate Member
    I do lat pulldowns as well, I weigh to damn much and cant do that many pullups.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Wide grip pull-ups are the first thing on my back workout. I can really see how much stronger I am getting b/c of when I can do more. Once I get into it for a few weeks, I can get 15 the first set, then 12, then a few sets of 8. Mind you I'm only 200 lbs.

FREAK2 is offline New Member
    I Love Pull-Ups! They are my favorite exercise for back. I try to do them with out straps so I can get my grip strong. I do As many as i can until I get to 50 reps, just like Arnold Schwarzenegger did them. At 240 I can do alot of Pull-ups.

eagle66 is offline Junior Member
    i agree with 3733 i rather do lat pull downs than pull ups. but i have alotta respect for people who can do a lot of pull ups.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    I do pull ups and lat pull downs. Love them both! Both have definitely made a big difference in my lats!!!!!!

theron is offline Associate Member
    What can make you stronger for doing pull ups?

DATY Fanatic is offline Junior Member
    Holly crap, Freak! You are just that...a freak of nature. That is truly awesome bro! I didn't think that was even possible. Are you doing 50 reps now?

I usually do pull downs and honestly I think everyone can tell that I don't bust ass with the pull ups...my back is thick but the taper sucks. Plus pull ups make my shoulders pop.

Theron, see if your gym has a pull up machine with counter weights. The one at my gym doubles as a dip machine. Add as little weight possible, but enought to allow for 10-12 reps for 3 or 4 sets. I'm not an expert, but that should help you get use to the movement and get you to regular pull ups in no time. You can also try using a spotter...legs bent, he/she holds your feet and can help you cheat on the last few reps.

FREAK2 is offline New Member
    Theron, you can also just do alot of heavy pull downs, thats what helped me get started by doing them.

Daty Fanatic i dont think i can do 50 reps in a row but the sets are getting shorter. but to be honest with you i havent done pull-ups in awhile because im getting ready for a powerlifting meet.

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    my fav back workout is half pull ups,half pull downs on machine. im 265 pounds so its hard for me to get a lot of pull ups so I try to do about 8 pull ups then after that run to the pull down machine right after and superset 8 pulldowns,this kicks my backs ass every week

A_Nice is offline Associate Member
    I was never a big fan of lat pull downs, wide grip chins for me all the way.

I dont know if any of your gyms have one of those weighted machines that lets u do wide grip chins but kind of "spots" you because your standing on a lever with an adjustable amount of weight on it.. Anyway, I used one of those when i started doing chins in the begining

Thread Information