Alex2 is offline Senior Member

Barbell vs. Dumbbell Bench Press

I have read few posts in this forum claiming that doing Dumbbell press is better than Barbell bench press for chest training. I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between them.

The reason I'm asking this question is that I feel I train my chest much better when I do Barbell bench press. I mean I feel the pressure on my pecs. But when I do Dumbbells press I don't feel any pressure on my pecs no matter how high I go with the weights.

HUNTER1 is offline Member
    Some folks think that the dumbell presses are better b/c they allow for a better stretch/range of motion. Also, it does not allow you to cheat and makes each arm pull its own weight and it seems to make you work stablizing muscles in your arms, pecs, shoulders, etc. to keep the dumbell balanced.

chest6 is offline Banned
    If you wanted to train most efficiently, you would incorporate both in your routine regularly.

jamminJohn is offline Junior Member
    I agree with both of the previous responses. I use both dumbell and barbell presses in my routine. For beginners, I particularly recommend dumbells because when you first start lifting you tend to have one side much stronger than the other and using dumbells will help even this out.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    For those with shoulder issues can train better with dumbbells normally with less pain since your arm is free to move to the least painful direction in the push.. I think DB's are good to build more stabilizer muscles but using both gives you the advantage of being able to change your workout very quickly so you do not get used to the same movements every time.. I mix it up personally.

I think SC only does DB's as he tore is Pec on a BB bench a while back.

To each his/her own

Oldman

pelly789 is offline Member
    the difference between them is that doing a dumbell bench press you have to stabilize the weight more..you have to concentrate on keeping the dumbells even width apart and when you do your rep. you have to make sure you dont go down further on one side than the other...it is said that dumbells are better for this reason because all of you stabilizing ligaments and tendons are being used more compared to the barbell

It's true, you must incorporate both into your routine at different times ofcourse. I did DB for around 2 months and it worked great but I had hit a plateau, for hte past 3 weeks I've switched back to BB and I am definately getting a better workout now. Every few months switch it up and you'll see the best results

Alex2 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all! I use both of them but I like the BB more. But I'll start concentrating more on the DB as well.

Thanks again.

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    I've heard you can add more mass on a bb but the refinments are made on a db I use both so I cover both bases.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i do bar when im doing 5 or less reps
    db's when higher than 5 reps

Thread Information