chest6 is offline Banned

Wide grip upright rows

On wide grip upright rows, should I grip it normally, or grip it in my fingers? I just finished it and my wrists hurt quite a bit.

jamminJohn is offline Junior Member
    I love upright rows, but they can be brutal on the wrists. I usually use a narrower grip, hands no more than 6-8 inches apart, which targets the traps a little better. But, however I do them, I always use a regular grip. I can't see using a finger grip with the weights that I like to use. Whatever you do, don't use straps. I tried that once with a heavy set of upright rows and my wrists were hurting for weeks after that.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yep it still hurts. I can do 135 for reps with narrow grip but I could only do 95 with wide grip..

themetalmich is offline Junior Member
    Less bicep involved with a wide grip.

singern is offline Banned
    Sorry to go off topic, but do you guys do wide grip upright rows on Back day or shoulder day.....just curious.

singern is offline Banned
    Bump, anyone?

I usually do shoulders and traps on the same day, and this is the day I would do upright rows. If you do your traps with your back, then you might want to do narrow grip upright rows on back day, since they target the traps a little bit more. If you prefer doing wide grip upright rows, I would suggest doing them with your shoulders, as a wider grip will incorporate more of your shoulders.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I do them on shoulder day. Guess theres not a way to protect the wrists either way though..

If they bother your wrists too much, you might want to try using a cable pulley machine instead of a barbell. I don't personally like the feel of these as much, but they seem to be a little easier on the wrists as you will have a little more flexibility in movement with the cables. I've also tried doing upright rows on the smith machine and with an ez curl bar, but don't find either of these options to ease the stress on the wrists much. In the end, for me, I've determined that the barbell is still the best option and it is worth fighting through a little wrist pain.

musselman is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    Sorry to go off topic, but do you guys do wide grip upright rows on Back day or shoulder day.....just curious.
    Shoulder day... upright rows work mainly to separate the traps from the delts... not really a good mass builder

musselman is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I do them on shoulder day. Guess theres not a way to protect the wrists either way though..
    I have the same problem... you might want to try using a cambered bar instead... easier on the wrist....

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Have you tried using db's? They will allow your wrists to travel more naturally. The ROM of the exercise will be greatly increased, as well.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Have you tried using db's? They will allow your wrists to travel more naturally. The ROM of the exercise will be greatly increased, as well.
    damn thats a good idea..I'll try that Thursday.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    damn thats a good idea..I'll try that Thursday.
    Another nice aspect of the db's is that you can extend your set, through more reps, by not pulling db's as far apart. It would be like sliding your hands in closer on a barbell to extend a set.

Thread Information