Thread: Split help

RockyX is offline Senior Member

Split help

Sup bros. Let me start out by saying that I am cutting, and very perinoid about over training (as my calorie intake is around 2100). Here's what my current split looks like. I do 4 sets of 8 on everything, except abs.

Monday- Chest & Tris
    --------
    Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Flys (probably going to go to incline flys next week)
    Overhead tricep extensions
    Tricep press downs
    Skull crushers

Tuesday- Rest
    ---------

Wednesday-Back & Bis
    -----------
    Pull Downs
    Seated Rows
    Pull-ups or Lat Pulls (aka lawnmower pulls)
    Shrugs
    Hammer Curls
    Straight bar curls
    Reverse Curls

Thursday-Abs
    ---------
    Abs

Friday-Legs & Shoulders (probably a bad combination)
    ------
    Leg Presses
    Squats
    Leg extensions
    Leg Curls
    Calf Raises
    Overhead press
    Lateral raises
    Front Raises

Saturday and Sunday rest.

Also, just curious if anyone thinks I could stimulate more tricep growth if I moved legs or shoulders to Thursday w/ abs, and did triceps again on Friday. That would give me 48-72 hrs. between tricep workouts.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    imo toomuch but hey if it works thats great

pelly789 is offline Member
    i heard its not good for you to do two muscle groups that work together in one day...what i mean is back and biceps in the same day and chest and tris in the same day if i were you i would do chest and bis and back and bi's just my opinion because you cant really get a good work out for whatever body part you do last ex. if you do back first and kill yourself doing it you cant get a good bicep workout in..just my opinion tho GL later bro

I cannot believe that you are doing legs and shoulders on the same day...WHY????

Why are you doing a 3 day split? I always thought that if you were cutting you should do frequent workouts, with lower intensity. Like, 5 workouts per week with less intensity....burn more calories!!!

Bottom line, you should be working out more than 3 x per week if you can. If you cannot, I would follow this split:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulder, Tricep

Day 2: Back, Trap, Bicep

Day 3: Legs
    Last edited by catabolic kid; 01-26-2006 at 11:09 PM.

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly789
    i heard its not good for you to do two muscle groups that work together in one day...what i mean is back and biceps in the same day and chest and tris in the same day if i were you i would do chest and bis and back and bi's just my opinion because you cant really get a good work out for whatever body part you do last ex. if you do back first and kill yourself doing it you cant get a good bicep workout in..just my opinion tho GL later bro
    Not necissarly. True that your production from your biceps or triceps would be less from chest and back, but IMO it is the best way to do things b/c it acts liek a pre-exhast method for the bis and tris. If you hit chest then tris in the same day it just makes sense. To train the triceps on another day depending on how much of a workout you got from chest exercises could lead to overtraining. Although some have made better gains from oppostie like back and tris its all about what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    Not necissarly. True that your production from your biceps or triceps would be less from chest and back, but IMO it is the best way to do things b/c it acts liek a pre-exhast method for the bis and tris. If you hit chest then tris in the same day it just makes sense. To train the triceps on another day depending on how much of a workout you got from chest exercises could lead to overtraining. Although some have made better gains from oppostie like back and tris its all about what works for you.
    I agree, and would like to add that I choose to work Tricpes with Chest and Bicpes with Back. Here is why: What two exercises are considered mass builders for triceps....Most would say Dips and Close Grip Bench. Both of those exercises work the Chest as well. So, it would be hard to do either one of these exercises on Back day and have to train Chest in the same week. Also, if you did triceps with back you would be hitting triceps 3 x per week (when you did chest, shoulders and triceps).

I like to work chest like this:

2 heavy compound exercises for chest.

1 heavy "transition" exercise (dips, c g bench).

1 direst tricep movement.

When doing chest and triceps, I would call dips or cg bench transition exercises becasue they finish off the chest and start up the tricep work.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catabolic kid
    I cannot believe that you are doing legs and shoulders on the same day...WHY????

Why are you doing a 3 day split? I always thought that if you were cutting you should do frequent workouts, with lower intensity. Like, 5 workouts per week with less intensity....burn more calories!!!

Bottom line, you should be working out more than 3 x per week if you can. If you cannot, I would follow this split:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulder, Tricep

Day 2: Back, Trap, Bicep

Day 3: Legs
    I completely understand what you are saying bro. This is the kind of response I expected. I have been doing a 3 day split because of work. I work open til close on Tuesday and Thursday. But I am going to try to at least get in there to give legs it's own day, or maybe mix it in w/ abs. I know that a 3 day split isn't the #1 choice, but I am getting all body parts in through out the week. Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming!

Yeah, I understand that a lot of people can only make it to the gym 3 x per week. There is nothing wrong with it, just do not do legs with shoulders would be my advice...try the push/pull routine I suggested.

Good Luck!

pelly789 is offline Member
    well..i always seeemed to experience shytty workouts out of my bi's and tri's when i did back and chest respectively in the same day i hit a peak when i followed that routine of chest/tris back/bis legs shoulders and i switched it up doing bis with chest and tris with back and i gained 1/2 on my arm in just 3 weeks

Thread Information