Fat4Now is offline Junior Member

At what BF% does a cut start to show?

Just wondering what the avg. BF% is when a persons muscle cut really starts to show through.

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    Everybody is different meaning that 1 persom at 15% might look better than another persom at a little lower bf. It just depends on how people store their fat generally people start to look good at 15% and lower that is just my opinion though. People that reach 5% and lower and either genetically prone to that or are bodybuilders that are dieting right and they know thier bodies. Sorry about being long winded.Just my 2 cents.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    <10%

woodsy169 is offline Associate Member
    yes, I would like to know also...BUMP

like everyone else said...... everyone is different but i would say IMO about 12%

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    well, I know it has to be less than 14.8% because I'm still a fat ass...

murph is offline Member
    depends on who is measuring your b/f % some ppl are not that good at using the instruments,...... so the results will differ there aswell,.......you can have 5 different ppl check your b/f % in the same day and i'll will bet you that maybe 2 will agree if your lucky....... (JMO)
    Last edited by murph; 05-24-2002 at 12:30 PM.

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    How about women??? I had my bodyfat checked recently and it didn't seem very accurate (17%), and I have cuts & abs....Just curious for us gals.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    For most men anything under 12 is usually not a bad look, for women anything under 20 usually is not bad.

Bayweight - 17% is pretty good IMO, but like said about some look good higher or lower depends on body type where you hold fat etc.. for me i need to be under 12 to see abs. Having said all that 17 is consider lean for women.

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Thanks eye_candy....sometimes you just never know on accuracy. Before I had no idea it can fluctuate depending on when you have it checked..ie. before or after the workout makes a big difference. Go figure.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Yep best time in frist thing in morning before you eat or train. Best to go my mirror i lost my 1st 18lbs on contest prep. and guy who meaured was telling me my body fat was up almost 3% so i lost faith in measuring. If possible get same person to do it each time, usually off about 3-5% either way at the best of times, but good to make sure you going in right direction. You can also get calipers pretty cheap and keeps tabs yourself.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    nice eye_candy, yeah bf fluckcutates

demetri is offline Member
    Originally posted by Little Jonah
    like everyone else said...... everyone is different but i would say IMO about 12%
    I totally agree, everyone is different. Plus we all keep our fat in different places. Some of us have lots of cuts on our upper boddies and smooth legs (like a baby in my case).

Plus when you're talking about fat which fat are you talking about. There is the fat under your skin (which is what most people think about), the fat between your muscles, and the fat around your organs. The problem when you burn it off is that it doesn't just come off from under your skin, but loosing this fat is going to give you your cuts ... well that and the fat between your muscles.

Let the mirror be your guide and don't worry about fat percentage. In the end it is only a number and as you gain more muscle your body needs more fat (hopefully not to much more). Especially the fat around your organs (keeps them from getting bruised).

thegame01 is offline Member
    i agree with the statement of depending on body types etc. I am at 10% and can only see a 4 pack i have acording to the calipers ,very little fat everywwhere except for the bottom of my tummy .i dont have lots but i would like to see my bottom abs .I eat very strict but yet dont want to lose muscle by cutting back my protein intake .Carbs are low and fats are low . I eat chicken , tuna, egg whites,some fish,some red meat ,a little rice ,some cottage cheese 1% and some skim milk.thats about all . I am 5'8" 190lbs any opinions?
    thanks ppl
    BTW what is the best fat measuring method?

demetri is offline Member
    Originally posted by thegame01
    BTW what is the best fat measuring method?
    Dan Duchaine wrote in the body opus that calipers were the most accurate (next to dissecting a cadaver and removing and weighing all the fat). The infra red is supposed to be accurate for some people but it doesn't account for variances in body densities (the water displacement techniques also don't account for this).

I honestly don't think you can really trust any of them. There isn't one technique that measures all the fat. We have fat on our ankles that isn't measured.

I'm very lean on my chest and shoulders and it doesn’t matter how fat the rest of me is, I always have bulging veins in that area. Try a keto diet, they're supposed to help with fat in problem areas.

Thread Information