KUChick is offline Female Member

uneven strength in my legs

when i was 18 (i am now 21) i had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee to get rid of some extra cartilage and smooth my knee cap and am now regretting not taking full advantage of physical therapy afterwards. my left leg is noticeably stronger and bigger in the quad/ham area and when i isolate my legs i dont know if i should work my left leg to the point of my right legs fatigue or if i should lift with more weight. any knowledge on what would work best or any way of fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by KUChick
    when i was 18 (i am now 21) i had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee to get rid of some extra cartilage and smooth my knee cap and am now regretting not taking full advantage of physical therapy afterwards. my left leg is noticeably stronger and bigger in the quad/ham area and when i isolate my legs i dont know if i should work my left leg to the point of my right legs fatigue or if i should lift with more weight. any knowledge on what would work best or any way of fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    I would do some unilateral work until your right leg catches up to your left leg. Ian King, Aussie Strength Coach, is the best when it comes to unilateral leg exercises. Check this out.
    http://www.*************/readTopic.do?id=459546
    As you progress, I can get more of his workouts for you. Check out my custom title for my credentials. Look at my profile for my educational background. Good luck!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Damn blockers . Type this http: // www . t - nation . com / read Topic . do ? id = 459546

I spaced the address out so it wouldn't be blocked out again. When you type it in, leave no spaces.

KUChick is offline Female Member
    thank you for the info papi, do you recommend i use the same weight for both legs?

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    I had a knee injury a few years back and my right leg was much weaker than my left. I just did basic exercises without weights first. weightless squats, lunges, stretching, etc.

When i worked out, I used machines for leg extensions, and i would do one set with my legs working together, then a set for each leg independently. This is with low weight just to strengthen up my legs. After a while i could feel the stability in my knee becomming greater and greater. Then one day i decided i was good to go with heavier weights.
    Now i can do squats with weight, leg extensions, lunges with weight.

So depending on how strong your leg is today, you should know how much weight to use. I suggest doing the exercises which are more difficult first because you'll have more energy at first.. IE: lunges with overexagerated movements, then some weightless squats, then leg extensions. Just as long as you dont do anything too strainuous.. Knees are tricky after you hurt em.

Good luck and be careful!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by KUChick
    thank you for the info papi, do you recommend i use the same weight for both legs?
    I have trained a physical therapist who had two master degrees. Her opinion on this subject was that if one leg is much stronger and can handle more weight, sometimes you do not even need to train that leg. Wait until that weaker leg catches out so this not so great of an imbalance between the two.

Thread Information