Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Does anyone here NOT do deadlifts?

Does anyone here not include deadlifts in their routine? If not, what are the reasons you don't do them? Could you still build a solid strong physique WITHOUT doing them?

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    I use deadlifts,but I don't use the exercise in all my back routines.Some variety is good.

And certainly you can build a great back without deadlifts.It's said pull-ups are a great mass builder,but fact is,not many guys do them,or can do them,and they have awesome backs.They do pull-downs instead.Same goes for squats.Quite a few top level BBer's don't do 'em.They do presses instead,and they have great legs.

~Pinnacle~

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I do deads but not pull ups because my elbows can't take the pressure of the pullups anymore. I wish I could do them, they are great.

Oldman

TCEL300 is offline Member
    i started doing deads again because i feel like they really help with my back and overall....my arms r really lagging...so i have been doing deads..cleans...squats...i keep the squats to a min....2 sets my legs r beat up from when i was younger..i ran cross country in high school 50-70 miles a week for years didnt do ANY good for my knees

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Depends on the goal for the training cycle... and the layout of the program. Deads are good - and there are a variety of ways to do them... depending on what you want to focus on. The best benefit from Deads is the huge load you can use to train several large muscle groups... nothing like pulling several hundred pounds off the floor... and the feedback mechanisms from the body seem to scream for growth...

My lower back cant take alot right now until I figure out whats wrong with it. A few more sessions at the chiropracter will determine if I need an MRI to see if I have nerve damage.

It sucks becuase I cant bend down, nor do many different ab workouts.

lzicc is offline Senior Member
    I hate doing them but they are a great exercise. I would never exclude them from my workouts.

What I hate about them is they wind me so bad after every set, I feel like I am going to hyperventilate. It is almost a little scary. I started kicking up the cardio hoping this will help with this issue.

Anavar Man is offline Member
    I haven't been doing them do to what I believe to be a minor herniea. I'm going to start ding quater deads on the power rack.

Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    What I hate about them is they wind me so bad after every set, I feel like I am going to hyperventilate. It is almost a little scary. I started kicking up the cardio hoping this will help with this issue.
    after deads and squats i see stars, and sometimes i almost pass out if i dont have anything to hold on to once i release the weight. This might be caused from lack of vitamin D, or perhaps some of the amino acids i take.

Also after squats and deads, sometimes i feel like im going to puke, havent yet, but have definatly started for the bathroom. I think this is just from the immense lactic acid build up from using crazy weights.

singern is offline Banned
    Deads are good, variety is great.
    There are several flavors and styles of deadlifts, using BB, cable, DB, or even laying on the floor. I try to use one of them in each back routine.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I no longer deadlift, no.

~SC~

I deadlift ,but they arent a staple every session throughout the year. If I'm doing heavy squats that week then I wont deadlift, or vice versa. It's such a demanding exercise that I find one hinders the other in the same given week. So like now, for the next 4 weeks I deadlift, but dont squat, just leg presses. Also, for the guys getting on stage, its a smart idea to drop them about 4-6 weeks away from your show, too much risk for injury at that point when your calories become so restricted.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I do deadlifts of one type or another, I work my back and hams on the same day and find deadlifts to be a great exercise for me anyways on that day. And like singern said, you can do barbell, dumbbell or cable - each straigh legged or regular. You can get a good workout using other exercises as well to hit the same muscules but I personally really like them.

I do pulls up as well but those are done on back/bi day.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    after deads and squats i see stars, and sometimes i almost pass out if i dont have anything to hold on to once i release the weight. This might be caused from lack of vitamin D, or perhaps some of the amino acids i take.

Also after squats and deads, sometimes i feel like im going to puke, havent yet, but have definatly started for the bathroom. I think this is just from the immense lactic acid build up from using crazy weights.
    When you release the weight, drop to the floor with your head lower than your chest. Stay there for 5-10 seconds, this allows blood to flow back to your brain and its much more comfortable and safer. If you feel like that though, it means you are doing a good job Gun!

chest6 is offline Banned
    I love deads...I do them every back workout, I just change the order of it within the other exercises and the reps I do them with when I change stuff up.

Tommy Gunn is offline Member
    Hey Swole, how come you don't deadlift no more?

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    I like doing them because you can lift so much weight, but if i do them every week i never seem to improve, for me i improve the most at deadlifts when I don't do them for months at a time, then come back and whoop my pb by like 20kg!

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member
    always do them they are vital in my back training regieme

Mike Dura is offline Senior Member
    I do stiff leg deads but not the standard ones.

Zapp is offline Banned
    Never do'em. Back is too fragile from dirt bike accident.

big L 17 is offline Female Member
    i used to but after i tore my hamstring havent done them in months.

j martini is offline Member
    I dont do them, not for the fact that i dont rate them, but because they work to well for me. My weakness is lat width, thickness is certainly not when i do deadlifts my back, traps and especially erectors get so thick that it takes away from the width off my back.

gatsby1986 is offline New Member
    I hate DL's. I haven't done them for a while. i hate doing them i always feel like there going to just F up my knees and my back overtime. Playing football through school doesn't exactly help the knee situation and the men in my family have knee probs and i'm trying to preserve mine the best i can. i'll stick with pull-downs.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    When I'm bulking they help BIG TIME...
    Like Warrior said "They Scream Growth"
    But very injury prone if you aren't doing them correctly...

And yeah I've puked doing them and squats sometimes, hahah

Thread Information