TCEL300 is offline Member

exercises for tri thickness

I have been tryn to add more mass to my tri's...and add some thickness to my lower triceps...any1 have any good workouts to help me out..i have also switched up my routine where tri's have there own day...my workout is this....4x cable pulldowns... (2sets 1 handed)
    2x cable kickback
    2xHEAVY weighted dip machine
    2x skull crushers....sometimes i will switch things up and do close grip bench/.....or other various exercises...i woul appreciate the help guys thanks

TCEL

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    id ditch dip machine and cable kick backs. I assume you mean push down not pull down, but I'd use both hands and do rope push down instead. skull crushers are a must. Close grip bench really does it for me. And do real dips with the weight belt on instead of the machine.

thanks for the post..yea i was thinkn of gettn rid of the kickbacks...when i do crushers..i usually use db's...so i can make sure each arm is workn the same..any1 else have any suggestion??

jamminJohn is offline Junior Member
    I would definitely suggest basing your tricep routine around close grip bench presses and heavy weighted dips. For variety, you can add in some skullcrushers, heavy pushdowns or overhead extensions. If this doesn't get your triceps growing, than nothing will. Just be careful of overtraining them, as your triceps will also get worked during any pressing movements such as benches for chest and military presses for shoulders, although I think that the triceps recover quickly and can handle a lot of stress.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Close Grip Bench...Skull Crushas...
    If I feel like an added torch, I will do cable pulls...

singern is offline Banned
    Question...

I have been wanting to try close grip bench press for tri's, but since I do arms (bi's, tri's, and forearms) the day after chest and shoulders.
    Would this be counterproductive since close grip bench does employ chest.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    Question...

I have been wanting to try close grip bench press for tri's, but since I do arms (bi's, tri's, and forearms) the day after chest and shoulders.
    Would this be counterproductive since close grip bench does employ chest.
    It will reduce the amount of resistance that you can do on the close-grip bench press, significantly. I would place them later in the week if you want optimal results.

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    It will reduce the amount of resistance that you can do on the close-grip bench press, significantly. I would place them later in the week if you want optimal results.

Its time to switch up my routine.
    Thanks Papi93.

and BTW I really didnt mean to hijack the thread
    Last edited by singern; 01-30-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Does your dip machine have good belt to keep you down on the seat?

I always preferred dips with the parallel bars, etc. My brother would do his dips on the weight machine. I could not keep myself from getting lifted off the seat when performing the exercise. Somehow he could keep himself down even though we used the same resistance and he actually weighed less? Oh, he has excellent triceps thickness. So as far as machines go, this is a good one if you have a good belt to keep you down.

jamminJohn is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Does your dip machine have good belt to keep you down on the seat?

I always preferred dips with the parallel bars, etc. My brother would do his dips on the weight machine. I could not keep myself from getting lifted off the seat when performing the exercise. Somehow he could keep himself down even though we used the same resistance and he actually weighed less? Oh, he has excellent triceps thickness. So as far as machines go, this is a good one if you have a good belt to keep you down.
    I had the same problem with the dip machine. I would have my partner push down on my traps to help keep me down, but never did really feel comfortable. It was so much easier to just strap 2 45's around my waist and use a regular dip rack.

yea the machine has a belt..i try to use good form... not lean foward so my chest wont come into play...my chest overpowers most of my other bodypart..it always grows the quickest....how many worksets should i use for my tri's?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by TCEL300
    yea the machine has a belt..i try to use good form... not lean foward so my chest wont come into play...my chest overpowers most of my other bodypart..it always grows the quickest....how many worksets should i use for my tri's?
    Between 3-6 sets, depending on your recovery ability. As long as you improve from workout to workout, you will make progress. This can be more reps, lbs, etc.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Nothing compares to the CGBP.... try it on a decline....

JM presses are good too, as are Inc. Tri. Ext's, Skull's, dips...

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Nothing compares to the CGBP.... try it on a decline....

JM presses are good too, as are Inc. Tri. Ext's, Skull's, dips...
    oh yes I alternate between JM PRESSES and CG BP for my tri's .. only 2 movements i do and i must say i have been told i have pair of "stuff hams" in my sleeves more than once

Thread Information