powerhouse1983 is offline New Member

New Guy here! Workout and Dieting Critique

Sorry if this is going to be long but I'm new!

Hey guys, I just want to say that I am new here and I've been reading some of the posts on here and they are so helpful! Also I am fairly new to the world of the gym/fitness, although i have been going to the gym (not serious) on and off for 2 years. But since it's a new year, I have basically decided to dedicated my time to working out and getting in shape.

For about a month now I have been doing research, (books, magazines, and online/forums) on nutrition, dieting, and work out techniques and have followed them pretty well so far.

Here is my goal: My goal is to basically get lean and ripped. Though I do appreciate the looks of huge body builders considering the crazy diet and exercise they perform, I don't want to get "that" big. Just lean and ripped. I am 22 years old, 154 lbs, and I do not know my body fat. I do like my size right now, I just want to get my muscles cut and ripped and also cut some fat off my stomach and get rid of what it looks like a "mild" love handle.

Here is my routine in workout order: Pls critique!!

Mon/Thu:
    -Chest:
    Incline dumbbell press 2x 10/8 for upper part of chest
    Flat dumbbell press 2x 10/8 for middle part of chest
    Decline dumbbell press 2x 10/8 for lower part of chest
    -Triceps:
    Cable pushdown 3x 12
    -Abs: (thu only)
    Seated dumbbell rotation 3x 15/12/10 for abs and obliques
    Kneeling cable crunches 3x 15/12/10 for abs
    Bicycle crunches 3x 15/12/10 for abs and obliques
    -Cardio:
    Treadmill on 7.0 mph for 24 mins or 2.5 miles (300 calories burned)
    Tue/Fri
    -Legs: Leg extensions 3x 12/10/8 for quadriceps
    Standing calf raises 3x 12/10/8 for calfs
    -Abs: (tue only)
    Ab machine crunches 3x 20 for abs
    Cable side crunches 4x 20/15 for obliques
    Seated oblique twist 4x 15/12 (sorry I don't know the equip name! It's the one you sit on and you twist) for obliques
    -Shoulders:
    Seated dumbbell shoulder press: 3x 12/10/8 front deltoid
    Side drumbell lateral raises 3x 12/10/8 middle deltoid
    Bent-over lateral raises 3x 8/6/4 back deltoid
    -Cardio:
    Wed/Sat
    -Back:
    Dumbbell shrugs: 3x 12/10/8 trapezius (traps)
    Wide grip lat pulldowns 3x 12/10/8 (upper lat)
    Seated cable rows 3x 12/10/8 (lower lat)
    Seated hyperextensions 3x 15/12/10 (erector spinae)
    Biceps:
    Barbell curls 3x 12/10/8
    Alternating dumbbell curls 3x 12/10/8
    -Abs: (sat only)
    Seated dumbbell rotation 3x 15/12/10 for abs and obliques
    Side crunches 4x 20/15
    Ab machine crunches 3x 20
    -Cardio:

Dieting:
    I want to lose some fat on my stomach, because I feel that there is a layer of fat covering my abs so I am trying to to lose that by eating low calorie and fat foods:

Breakfast 6am
    Special K Cereal and Oatmeal with Protein Drink, Multi Vitamin Supp, and Fish Oil.
    Snack 9am
    Fruit (a banana or apple)
    Post work out meal @ 11am
    Chocolate Milk or carrot sticks
    Lunch 1pm
    Turkey or Tuna Sandwich on wheat
    Fruit
    Protein Drink, and Fish Oil
    Snack 3:30pm
    Wheat Thins reduced fat or fruit and protein drink
    Dinner 6am
    Special K Cereal and Peanut Butter Sandwich on wheat, fish oil and a protein drink.
    Snack 9pm
    Wheat thins again or fruit

I pretty much counted all of the nutritional facts and im taking in approx:
    Calories: 1,805
    Fat 49g
    Carb 233g
    Protein 163g

What do you guys think? Also about an hour before work out, I take about 3.6g of creatine for energy.
    -I also drink about 10, 16 ounce glass of water daily.
    Questions
    What is cut?
    What is cycling?
    I've heard these terms on here and have no clue what they mean!

Morphx22 is offline New Member
    I usually don't do tri's and chest on the same day because they share muscles.

I try to seperate the muscle groups

Day 1) Tri's
    Day 2) Shoulders/Legs
    Day 3) Back
    Day 4) Bi's
    Day 5) Chest
    Day 6 + 7) Rest

Gives ample time between shared muscle groups.

I do ab's every day as well, because it is good for the abs and you can do them every day unlike other muscles. Cardio wise I play hockey, so thats when I do it.

Repitition wise, I do a cascade down. First set 10, then 7-8, then 5-6, then 3-4. And increase weight each time, even if only by 5 lbs.

Then at the very end before i go home, I do it opposite. I just pick one exercise that I can change the weight easily (a cable or a machine) and start at the heaviest weight till i cant do anymore, then lower it by 10 lbs and keep lowering it until i am burnt.

For your bi's, I would add in hammer curls and reverse curls, those help a lot.

I only weigh 142 and 5'11, but my body can't get any bigger without steroids (which I will never use), which sucks, but oh well.

cool thanks so much for the info. Im going to try that cascade down thing with the increase of weight each time, and also the hammer curls.

Sure thing. If you flex your bicep with your fist facing you, you can see a muscle. Then turn your wrist while still flexing, and you will see a different muscle That is what the hammer will do. Then you can do reverse curls using a straight bar with weight on each end or one of those bars that are shaped like /\-/\ and do reverse curls. Just flex again and keep moving past the hammer position I said earlier, and you will see another muscle that goes to almost your elbow, that is what the reverse will do

If ya have anymore questions, just ask, I can try to help out. I can post my whole weekly routine and what I do if you want

yes! I want to see your weekly routine!

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    BOLD

[QUOTE=powerhouse1983].......I want to lose some fat on my stomach, because I feel that there is a layer of fat covering my abs so I am trying to to lose that by eating low calorie and fat foods:

Breakfast 6am
    Special K Cereal and Oatmeal with Protein Drink, Multi Vitamin Supp, and Fish Oil.Egg White Omlet 1/2 cup oatmeal,Multi Vit
    Snack 9am
    Fruit (a banana or apple)Protein Shake or lean Protein( Tuna, Chicken) with 1 tbsps of Flax oil
    Post work out meal @ 11am
    Chocolate Milk or carrot sticks Protein shke with Dextrose
    Lunch 1pm
    Turkey or Tuna Sandwich on wheat Green Veggies, Lean Protein, 1/2 cup rice or oatmeal
    Fruit
    Protein Drink, and Fish Oil
    Snack 3:30pm
    Wheat Thins reduced fat or fruit and protein drink Shake or Lean Protein with 1 Tbsp. Flax
    Dinner 6am
    Special K Cereal and Peanut Butter Sandwich on wheat, fish oil and a protein drink. Green Veggies And Lean Protein
    Snack 9pm
    Wheat thins again or fruit Lean Protein or Shake w/ Flax or almonds

I pretty much counted all of the nutritional facts and im taking in approx:
    Calories: 1,805
    Fat 49g 50
    Carb 233g 130
    Protein 163g 250

........-I also drink about 10, 16 ounce glass of water daily.1 gallon

I believe your Carbs are too high if you weigh 154lbs I also believe your Protein needs to be higher to preserve Lean Mass while dieting.
    Cardio should be done 4-5 times a week for 45 mins at 65% of your maximum heart rate. ( 220-age*.65)
    Weight Training to be done 3-4 times a week maybe something like this;

MON
    Chest and Biceps
    Abs

TUES
    Legs

WED

Off

THURS
    Shoulders and Triceps
    Abs

FRI
    Back

These are only my opinions and everybody is different but this should give you a good start.

Day 1: Triceps
    Exercises: Rope pulldown, reverse pulldown with straight bar on cables, ab roller crunches, triangle bar pulldown on cables, overhead rope on cables (don't really know the real names for anything), hip raise on parallel bar (lower abs), then end it with 1-hand pulldowns front and reverse.

Day 2: Shoulders
    Exercises: Front Dumbell Raises, ab machine crunches, Side Dumbell Raises, hip raise on parallel bar (lower abs), shoulder press.

Day 3: Back/Legs
    Exercises: Wide grip lat pulldown, calves, seated cable rows, leg extentions, straight arm pulldown, seated leg curls (i should add more exercises I think to this day)

Day 4: Bi's
    Exercises: Incline dumbell curl, incline hammer curl, ab roller crunches, barbell curl, reverse curls on EZ Bar, hip raise on parallel bar (lower abs), kill the bi's with 1-hand curls on cable

Day 5: Chest
    Exercises: Dumbell bench press, dumbell incline press, ab machine crunches, decline chest on machine, flies, hip raise on parallel bar (lower abs), cable crossovers, kill my chest on bench press and incline machines

Day 6 + 7: Rest

That is what I usually do, or throw in a rest day in between the days if I don't have time that day.

Hope it helps a little bit!

Oh, and I take Optimum Nutrition protein shakes (yummy) and I just starting taking Creatine ethyl ester 3 days ago. I want to see how much I can get back into shape in 1 month since I havn't worked out in 2 months because of some things

hey guys thanks so much for the awesome responses. im definitely going to take everyones suggestions into consideration.

NewlyDesigned is offline Junior Member
    The only way for you to get lean and ripped is by cardio and healthy eating ( little fat, little carbs, high protein ). Try the amount and frequency CanadianTiger suggested, that looks about right. Just be sure to do it about 45 min 4-5 times a week because im pretty sure that fat burning doesnt begin until about 20minutes in. Also if you would like to build more muscle you should get more protein in your diet and more calories (just be sure to take in the right kind of calories and be sure not to over endulge). Theres a thread on here where you can calculate yer calorie need per day aswell as yer protein need. As for your routine there are many on here that suit all different body types, you really just have to find one that suits you. Heres what I do if you are interested, I use to look like you just a little leaner. Some say its too many exercises but i find it works well for me. You could also add abs into another day here and be sure to do cardio at every workout. Hope it helps. Also the two words you were wondering:
    Cut- Really defined, little or no fat. Chisled you could say
    Cycles- Soem people cycle steroids . Like they use them for a month then there off it for a montha dn back on for another month. This is what i gathered from what I've seen, correct me if im wrong someone.

Day 1 i Chest/Tris Sets Reps per Set

-Flat Bench 4 12-10-8-6
    -Incline Bench 3 12-10-8
    -Decline Bench 3 12-10-8
    -Cable Crossovers 3 12-10-8
    -Close Grip Bench 3 12-10-8
    -Push Downs 4 12-10-8-6

Day 2 Back/Bis/Forearm Sets Reps per Set

-Seated Cable Row 3 12-10-8
    -Dead Lift 4 12-10-10-8
    -Pull Ups 4 12-10-10-8
    -Seated Incline DB Curls 3 12-10-8
    -Standing Barbell Curls 3 12-10-8
    -Hammer Curls 3 12-10-8
    -Wrist Curls 3 12-10-8

Day 3 Shoulders/Abs Sets Reps per Set

-Shoulder Press 4 12-10-8-6
    -Arnold Press 3 12-10-8
    -Lateral Extensions 3 12-10-8
    -Shrugs 3 12-10-8

Day 3 Shoulders/Abs Sets Reps per Set

-Incline Crunches 4 To Failure
    -Incline Twisting Crunch 4 To Failure
    -Incline Leg-Hip Raise 4 To Failure
    -Side Bends 4 To Failure

Day 4 Legs Sets Reps per Set

-Squats 5 15-12-10-8-6
    -Leg Extensions 4 12-10-8
    -Seated Leg Curl 4 15-12-10-8
    -Stand Calf Extension 4 15-20 for Each

In between these workouts there may sometimes be a day of rest where i couldnt get tot the gym but after yer done these 4 workouts you begin over agin at 1.
    Last edited by NewlyDesigned; 02-02-2006 at 08:22 PM.

Hey, follow the advice Canadiantiger gave you...he did a great job. I would like to add some exercises though. Again, use the split that he gave you...I believe this is the split Dorian used except he switched days for the shouder workout and the back workout

Chest and Biceps:

Flat barbell Bench (3 sets) (10, 8, 6)
    Incline Dumbell (3 sets) (10, 8, 6)
    Dumbell Flyes (3 sets) (12, 10, 8)
    Barbell Curls (3 sets) (12, 10, 8)
    Hammer Curls (3 sets) (12, 10, 8)

Legs:

SwoleSquats! Look here for leg SIZE!

Shoulders Triceps:

DB or BB press (4 sets) (10, 8, 6, 6)
    Lateral Raise (3 sets) (12, 10, 8)
    Dips (3 sets) (10, 8, 6)
    Pushdowns (3 sets) (12, 10, 8)

Back:

Wide Grip Pulldowns (4 sets) (12, 10, 8, 8)
    Any type of Roing (4 sets) (12, 10, 8, 6)
    Deadlifts (4 sets) (10, 8, 6, 4)
    Barbell Shrugs (4 sets) (12, 10, 8, 8)
    Last edited by catabolic kid; 02-02-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Do you think in my situation since my first priority is to get leaner and lose fat around my stomach that I should just spend most of my time doing cardio (45 mins) and just do each muscle group only once a week instead of two? That wouldn't slow my muscle gain, because doesn't muscle grow when you're not working out right?

Because with my current workout, add in 45 mins of cardio instead of 20 mins, I will probably end up being in the gym for 1.5/2 hours (counting the change of clothes and the shower) but I don't have that time because of school.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by powerhouse1983; 02-03-2006 at 08:15 PM.

NewlyDesigned is offline Junior Member
    The only thing I could think of would be Cardio in the early morn then classes then workout after that. I really havent had to deal with a ton of cardio since I play a lot of sports, sorry. Someone else may have a solution.

TADOLFI is offline Member
    I'm with catabolic kid and canadiantiger - but judging from your front picture I think you should work incline and flat bench - no decline right now. Flyes would be good and get rid of decline. 30 minutes of cardio should do enough if you are going to follow what canadiantiger laid out.
    Do the weight training once a week for six weeks with the cardio and see where you are.

And, yes you are right - muscle grows with recovery time.

yes i will try canadiantigers food lay out and also try the dumbbell flyes instead of the decline press. thanks for the info.

socdawg11 is offline New Member
    Hey man it sounds like your gettin on the right track! like they said if you are tryin to lean out you should have a low fat protien rich diet. Your body can digest and "retain" 40g of protien every 3 hours or so depending. Try stackin in those shakes all day! it always helped me big time. I also saw that you didnt isolate your musles enough in your workouts. Try and rip one muscle group out hard core once a week and then rest it. I promise it works! heres mine....

Mon.... CHEST
    Tues.... Bi's & Tri's
    Wed.... Back & Shoulders
    Thurs.... Legs
    Fri... Cardio only (do this on other workout days too) 30-45 mins

If you really wanna lean out try stayin away from doin real heavy wieght. I always ripped it up and repped out until i absolutely couldn't move that muscle anymore. Then dont touch it for a week. It works. You need carbs in your diet to function obviously... but try and keep them low until you start leanin out. you dont wanna start burnin your muscle but you wanna burn that fat off as much ass possible. Then you can carb up before workouts. Hope this helps. Lot of smart guys in here so you should be well on your way now.

hey man! thanks for that info. Yeah i've learned a lot since posting this thread and reading everyone else's. all i gotta say is this forum kicks ass. Anyway yeah i am now following most of canadian tigers food lay out with oatmeal, egg intake, tuna/chicken intake, protein intake and the green veggies. Here are the nut. facts to my new food lay out:

cal 1,605
    Fat 21g
    Carb 135g
    Protein 205g

Also I change my workout routine from diong one muscle group only once a week:
    Mon: Chest/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Tue: Biceps/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Wed: Shoulders/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Thu: Legs/Back/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Fri: Triceps/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Sat/Sun: Rest

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouse1983
    ......Also I change my workout routine from diong one muscle group only once a week:
    Mon: Chest/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Tue: Biceps/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Wed: Shoulders/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Thu: Legs/Back/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Fri: Triceps/Abs/Cardio 45 mins
    Sat/Sun: Rest
    Put arms together and do legs and back on their own day. They are two of the biggest muscle groups and need their own day for adequate work. I can not work out more than 2 days in a row or I overtrain very quickly. Just keep an an eye out for the signs. Depression, lack of appetite, or just any other negative feeling because you are going to be calorie deficient when dieting and systoms could potentially come on quicker or atleast they do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by socdawg11
    If you really wanna lean out try stayin away from doin real heavy wieght. I always ripped it up and repped out until i absolutely couldn't move that muscle anymore. Then dont touch it for a week. It works. ...

I disagree youmay appear leaner but you will sacrifice muscle mass. Lift heavy and let the diet and cardio take the fat off IMO do na=ot scrfice muscle.

thanks im going to do that. Also, I went to GNC and The Vitamin Shoppe and they didn't have dextrose. Where can i get it so i can mix it in with my protein drink for pwo.

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouse1983
    thanks im going to do that. Also, I went to GNC and The Vitamin Shoppe and they didn't have dextrose. Where can i get it so i can mix it in with my protein drink for pwo.
    Bulk Food stores sometimes under the name of corn sugar.

Hey Guys i'm back after 8 weeks of cutting from everyone's advice. Since then, I went from 155 lbs @ 14% bf to 140 lbs @ 8.32% (approx)!! Im fairly happy with the results and I have abs again!! lol I look back at my post with all the information i've learned and what was I thinking?!! Look at my diet!! Since then I've gained much information from reading this forum and thank everyone. My futures plans are:
    Maintenance cycle for 2 weeks
    Bulk for 6 weeks
    Cut for 4 weeks.
    My ideal size is 155 lbs under 8% bf.

[br]
    [br][br]
    [br]

Thread Information