NSHOOTER320 is offline Junior Member

New workout, possible overtraining?

Need some professional advice, i know a dude who has had extremely impressive gains on this workout and i was thinking about giving it a shot but it's pretty intense. It is a power routine for bench and here it is:

mon/wed/fri:
    3 sets of 5 reps with 5 min rest intervals flat bench
    3 sets of 10 cable flies
    3 sets of 5 reps with 5 min rest db incline

Back is incorporated with chest on mondays and wednesdays but fridays i would throw in a few tricep exercises. Tuesdays and thursdays is biceps and shoulders, saturday is legs. It is really intense on the chest so i was wondering if it was overtraining the pecs, the rest i'm not worried about overtraining. Also i was wondering if on wednesdays i should work with lighter weights and do higher reps so i don't go as heavy and i'd still do flat bench, incline, flies, and maybe decline. Thanx dudes.

pelly789 is offline Member
    there are quite a few workouts in this thread and ALOT of useful information i suggest you read this thread...

Various Training Techniques

also if your looking for legs swolecat has a great leg routine that will surely put on some mass

SwoleSquats! Look here for leg SIZE!

good luck

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    umm.. you know best way to increase your lifts is to grow the whole body as one...
    i dont like that setup one bit but oh well

ryamigo is offline Junior Member
    the only time i'd wanna work chest multiple times a week would be no more than twice and extremely low volume

ya thats overtraining
    if you're a volume guy hit chest once a week, rotate the exercises every week
    thats all you need unless you have super kick ass recovery time

Dont like that split...best split in my opinion is 2 day on 1 day off, 2 day on 2 day off. Chest and Tricep on Monday, Back and Bicep on Tuesday, Wednesday off, Shoulders and Traps on Thrusday and Legs on Friday...rest on weekend. Also, I do not konw who came up with that routine, but it is not a strength routine.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    flyes are a waste IMO and the volume is low for just one day, now if you did flat bench followed by decline and partial presses, 5 set of five for each or sub in close grips you would be in better shape. all and all this would be good for both size and strength, but you can only do this for 4 to 6 wks after that you will plateau, you have to change the rep scheme

NSHOOTER320 is offline Junior Member
    Hey thanx for all of your opinions. This routine was made up from a pretty credible source, it's from a friend of mine who competes at 146 and he benches over 400 lbs which i have witnessed and he's going for the u.s record of 426. i was doing one body part once a week but i felt like i wans't hitting them enough and i do work out the whole body, i just didn't incorporate everything i do cuz i was mainly concerned about my chest routine. And i agree about the volume being low for one day but i thought if i did it three times a week it would make up for the low volume. But if anyone has tips on what i can change i'd greatly appreciate it, thanx.

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    I think 9 working sets is good volume if exercises are all compound movements. IMO though for all out strength I would search internet for strength coaches like Ian King , Charles Poliquin, Dave Tate. Dave Tate may be a good idea since I believe he hworks twice in a week but has days of MAX EFFORT and Days of SPEED WORKOUTS. I have one of Ian Kings if you want it just let me know.

Thread Information