Great Way To Start A Chest Workout

Orite today I worked Chest and found a great way to warmup and really pump the pecs full of blood and get a great stretch. This is nothing fancy and some of you may be already doing this.

Here is how I do it:

Start a set of cable crossovers with a moderate weight...do about 10 reps and concentrate on using your pecs to move the weight...squeeze your pecs, do the reps slowly...this should burn real bad since your muscles are cold.

After you finish the first set of 10, do not let go of the handles. While holding on to the handles, walk forward (away from the machine) and allow your arms to go back (as in the bottom part of a flye). Let your arms go back as far as you can...hold the stretch for like 30 seconds.

Walk back to the starting position of the crossover and do another 10 slow, concentrated reps. After the ten reps, walk forward (away from the machine) and stretch your pecs for another 30 seconds. Repeat this like 4 or 5 times...never let go of the handles...you should be either stretching or filling your pecs with blood for like 3-4 minutes straight.

This is great to me becasue I start my chest workout with a huge pump and my pecs and shoulders are really loose and stretched... it takes less than 5 minutes. Also, I think that this warms you up better than doing light sets of your first exercise ( which is usually bench). Try it next time you work chest.

>15000 people go in and out of my gym daily, it takes long enough to find one cable, let alone get two. I think im going to modify this with flies, letting the weights drop as low as i can instead of 'walking in front.' It may not be as effective, but i think i will get a decent pre-pump. Thanks bro!

>15000 people go in and out of my gym daily, it takes long enough to find one cable, let alone get two. I think im going to modify this with flies, letting the weights drop as low as i can instead of 'walking in front.' It may not be as effective, but i think i will get a decent pre-pump. Thanks bro!

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    hey catabolic, what does your chest routine look like? im training it once a week, and i am looking for a few new ideas, i like the pump idea, and i noticed you start with bench. i do that too, but thought about maybe starting with DB incline and decline for a good work/fatigue, then hitting bench. what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    That sucks....15 people go in and out of my gym every day. But, I have trained in Gyms like yours...everyone loves the cables.

One more thing, when you are doing the stretching part of this exercise, make sure to fill your lungs with as much air as possible and poke your chest out in front of your body....this makes a big difference in your stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    hey catabolic, what does your chest routine look like? im training it once a week, and i am looking for a few new ideas, i like the pump idea, and i noticed you start with bench. i do that too, but thought about maybe starting with DB incline and decline for a good work/fatigue, then hitting bench. what do you think?
    Basic Format for Every Chest Workout:

1. Compound Movement (favorite is low incline barbell)
    2. Compound Movement (usually machine press)
    3. Incline or Flat Flyes
    4. Triceps (always dips or cg bp)
    5. Iso Exercise for Tri's

*I will change the exercises occasionally, but my main philosophy that I picked up from BEYOND BODYBUILDING, is to keep the reps the same in a workout...in other words, do not do high reps and low reps in the same workout. I will go with real low reps (3-6) one week and real high reps (12-20) the next week. I feel that it is more important to make extreme changes in % of 1 RM than it is to simply change exercises.

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the good tip man im gonna try it next time

big AAANKKYOOOUUUU...

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    big AAANKKYOOOUUUU...
    I read your profile a couple weeks ago and was jealous after seeing that you get to study sports and nutrition science...I dont have access to a program like that!

yeah, i love it, i have a running class, kickboxing 2, and i mentor biology. we just got done talking about blood doping, and i chuclked, and thought of some of the dumbasses on here that would probably do it, all the while knowing nothing about it. like the guys who are on 800mg test-c and are asking why their nipples are puffy and in pain...

Thread Information