oldman is offline Anabolic Member

What does Reverse grip Bench do differently?

Maybe a silly question but I have never done these nor have I seen anyone do these until today. I have heard people talk about them but can;t seem to find Why they would be done.

Thanks for any input

Oldman

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The reverse grip brings your elbows in closer to your torso. This will have you recruiting more heavily from your triceps.

pelly789 is offline Member
    the reverse grip bench is just a variation of the bench press only difference is Using a reverse grip forces the elbows to stay in to the sides and that emphasizes the triceps. thats the only difference

So like the same as close grip does? I do heavy CG bench on tri day as the first exercise so they are warn out before I do anything else. I can't do skullcrushers or french presses because of horrible elbow joints. I find the close grip bench works well..

I may need to try the reverse on the next tri day and see..

thanks bro!! Good info to know!

Oldman

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    So like the same as close grip does? I do heavy CG bench on tri day as the first exercise so they are warn out before I do anything else. I can't do skullcrushers or french presses because of horrible elbow joints. I find the close grip bench works well..

I may need to try the reverse on the next tri day and see..

thanks bro!! Good info to know!

Oldman
    Yes, they are very similar. If you use a wider-grip on the reverse-grip, then you will have more pec activation. If you use a close-grip on your reverse-grips, then it is even more strict of a tricep exercise than traditional close-grips. With the reverse-grip, the supination of the hands forces the elbows in tighter than with a traditional grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Yes, they are very similar. If you use a wider-grip on the reverse-grip, then you will have more pec activation. If you use a close-grip on your reverse-grips, then it is even more strict of a tricep exercise than traditional close-grips. With the reverse-grip, the supination of the hands forces the elbows in tighter than with a traditional grip.

Gotcha.. thanks.. I seem to let my elbow bow out a little when getting where it is too heavy on the last sets. I will try the reverse and see. Maybe something I can change to for a while..

Thanks very good info!!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    Gotcha.. thanks.. I seem to let my elbow bow out a little when getting where it is too heavy on the last sets. I will try the reverse and see. Maybe something I can change to for a while..

Thanks very good info!!
    On the traditional close, as you said, when your tris fatigue, your body tries to recruit from your pecs. This why the elbows start to travel away from the torso.

Thread Information