WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member

10 hours of sleep a day in different sessions ok?

Guys do I have to get all my sleep at one time, or can I split it up into 2 sessions a day. Right now Im getting six hours of sleep at night and 4 to 5 after work. Is that ok, or should I get it all at one time? How do you guys work around this dilemma?

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    How come you can't sleep for 8/9 in one go?

I worked weird shifts for a few weeks. Meant I was snatching sleep for 4 hours twice a day. I thought cos it let me eat an extra meal it'd help, but I actually lost weight.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Depends alot on you and how you are feeling really. Some guys will get 10 hours a sleep at night some will get significantly less. Some will sleep good for the night and others will nap, its really what you body responds best to. Me for example, I sleep about 4 hours a night, sometimes as much as 6 hours and thats all that I need. I have had problems sleeping my whole life and can't get more even if I try, but I recover well from workouts and feel refreshed every morning so like my doctor tells me... thats all that I need.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Cause if I want to workout without bumping into people at every bench or machine at the gym, I have to go after 9pm. By the time I get home shower and get in bed and fall asleep it will be around midnight. Then I have to get up at 6 for work. Thats only 6 hours in that session.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Ive wondered about this myself. I get up at 8am or so for mwf class and i usually get to sleep around 2am and was wondering the same thing. Mine was more from a nutritional aspect, but either way. I think its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Ive wondered about this myself. I get up at 8am or so for mwf class and i usually get to sleep around 2am and was wondering the same thing. Mine was more from a nutritional aspect, but either way. I think its fine.
    Yeah, its crazy man. Its like everytime you turn around you find another variable to throw into the mix of bodybuilding. I mean I know people talk about this all the time. But how many people are really able to get 10 solid hours of sleep every night at one session. Crazy I tell you crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by WHOADY4SHOADY
    Guys do I have to get all my sleep at one time, or can I split it up into 2 sessions a day. Right now Im getting six hours of sleep at night and 4 to 5 after work. Is that ok, or should I get it all at one time? How do you guys work around this dilemma?
    If you can, try to sleep 8 hours in one session. But, I think that you would be ok with the sleep routine you described. One sleep cycle lasts approximately 2 hours. Within that 2 hour sleep cycle there a 4 stages of sleep. Stage 3 and 4 are where most all of your recovery takes place. Obviously, in a normal nights sleep, these cycles repeat themselves abot 4 times. As long as you go through 2 sleep cycles at a time and do this twice a day you will be ok, but again, if you can get 8 hours at once, you would be better off.

URMaster is offline Junior Member
    Your current sleep schedule isnt bad, but in my opinion its best to sleep for longer periods 8 hours a day is optimal.

O well, thanks guys.

Thread Information