Crush is offline New Member

Training To Failure?

I was reading several studies on the internet and in magazines that contadict one another. Some say you should hardley ever go to failure, while others say you should go to failure on each set. Personally, I was going to to positive failure, meaning I could not do another rep on my own. My form is good through out each set. I did notice that I do seem to peek after 3-4 weeks though with this style. On the bench press, for instance, I will take my first set (after warm up) 405 for 8 reps, then the second set for 7 then the third for 6. On the last rep I can get them myself, but they go up a bit slower than the others. If I were to bench 405 for 3 sets of 6 and then try to increase 5 pounds after two weeks, would this get me bigger and stronger? What do you guys think? I am open to any opinions here.

Crush

jbrand is offline Member

Re: Training To Failure?

Originally posted by Crush
    I was reading several studies on the internet and in magazines that contadict one another. Some say you should hardley ever go to failure, while others say you should go to failure on each set. Personally, I was going to to positive failure, meaning I could not do another rep on my own. My form is good through out each set. I did notice that I do seem to peek after 3-4 weeks though with this style. On the bench press, for instance, I will take my first set (after warm up) 405 for 8 reps, then the second set for 7 then the third for 6. On the last rep I can get them myself, but they go up a bit slower than the others. If I were to bench 405 for 3 sets of 6 and then try to increase 5 pounds after two weeks, would this get me bigger and stronger? What do you guys think? I am open to any opinions here.

Crush
    Keep in mind exercises that are 4-6RM (to failure) for example are more CNS demanding than those 8-12RM to failure. A good rule of thumb is to keep intensity and volume inversely proportional. For example, if you are training at maximum intensity, train at minimal volume. Like any other training principle, this is not written in stone; as periodization may warrant breaking such factors.

Crush is offline New Member
    Thanks for the input bro. It does make sense. I like training my bench press, deadlift, and squat in the 6 rep range, while I do movements like dumbbells in the 8 rep range, and other accesory work in the 10 rep range. I think tomorow I wont goto failure and just see how I feel. Thanks again. More input is always welcome.

Crush

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    training to failure is the key to growth, mix it up w/ high and low reps though to keep variation so your muscles don't adapt thats were growth stops.
    peace

Thread Information