Thread: Bench Press

SidewayZ is offline Associate Member

Question Bench Press

I'm 5'10" 200lbs and 11.5%bf. My promblem is I'm only benching 225 max. Thats weak. In all other muscle groups I'm the same as other guys I work out with that are my size. But I've been stuck here for about 5-6 months. Could it just be a state of mind. BTW my workout partners bench 300-330. any tips?

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    whats your chest workout look like?

My workout is
    Incline 5 sets of 6-8 reps
    Flat 5 set of 6-8 reps
    decline 5 sets of 6-8 reps
    prymiding weight starting at 135-155-185-205-225
    then onto fly machine same set rep as above starting at 160-230
    cable crossovers and then a upright pull crossover same sets and reps as above

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    looks good

have you tried doing your work out back wards
    cables , flys, decline, inc, and flat
    just to shock your muscles?

may some other bros can kick in on this too

I haven't but I think that I'm gonna try it out! Thanks for the info. I haven't been taken protein either. Stupid me just being cheap. I just bought a couple of whey jugs as I am about to begin my first cycle.

devilscabanaboy19 is offline Associate Member
    I'd say just make sure your supporting muscles are up to speed. We all know that you can't have a big bench without good triceps. So maybe hit them a little harder, as well as shoulders because these two bodyparts play a big role in bench.

demetri is offline Member
    Originally posted by g_style
    My workout is
    Incline 5 sets of 6-8 reps
    Flat 5 set of 6-8 reps
    decline 5 sets of 6-8 reps
    prymiding weight starting at 135-155-185-205-225
    then onto fly machine same set rep as above starting at 160-230
    cable crossovers and then a upright pull crossover same sets and reps as above
    I think you're doing too many sets. I had a partner that had me doing 6 different exersizes and 4 sets each. I cut it down to 4 exersizes and 4 sets each.

After your warm up go straight to 225. I usually do a warm up with just the bar, a set with 135 pounds, up to 225 and then to 295. I find it more usful to pyramid down and stay as heavy as I can the hole time. I try for 5 to 6 reps.

eagle66 is offline Junior Member
    try doing negative resistance at the end of your workout

SIMPSONS is offline New Member
    I AGREE WITH DEMETRI YOUR DOING TO MANY SETS. AND I DON'T KNOW HOW OFTEN YOU HITTING YOU CHEST BUT MAKE SURE YOU GIVE YOUR CHEST ENOUGH REST TO REBUILD. PERSONALY I ONLY DO INCLINE BENCH BARBELL AND DUMBBELL AND ZERO FLAT BENCH.

voodoo12 is offline New Member
    yeah i agree youre doing too much but you never know everyones different, there is something wrong for sure though, for me 200 lbs is heaps but in 2 months ive gone from 130 to 220 and im feeling a slow down in strength and im worried...let alone being there for 5-6 months!!. I started off with the example 8 day repeat anabolic workout on AR then i felt abit of a slow down (i wanted a 7 day repeat) so i changed to a workout shredz is doing. i never do more than 3 sets on one excercise. my chest workout is

3 sets flat bench (2 sets half the wieght for warm up first)
    2 sets incline
    2 sets cable flys (temporary)

i have felt a slowdown in adding more wieght, i havent put more on for 2 workouts. so i think im doing something wrong!. (could be diet)

DevilsDeity is right about changing to shock the muscles when working out, from my experience its a pretty effective way to progress through.

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    I think your doing too many sets in your bench routine if your wanting to gain strength. My advise would be to do only flat bench press for awhile and do a pyramid workout. For example... warmup first with a few light sets to warm your muscles then do sets of 8-6-4-2-10. The first 4 sets you add weight and decrease your reps and the last set you drop some weight and do a higher rep set to finish. This worked great for me in the past when I was more concerned about increasing my bench strength. Try it for 6 weeks and see how it works for you.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    hey after quick gains in bench it takes a while to see results in weight, and dudes hit the tris hard to push more
    peace

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    over training bro--way too much

i do a total of 12 sets of chest 1 x per week(mondays -national bench day) counting warm ups usually flat bench with 1 or 2 sets of flys
    i am 242 and best bench 445. i train with a 600lb bencher and 2 others in the 500lb area---i'm the weak one---just genetically dont have a good natural bench-had to work it hard
    try to drop sets i know its hard but look at all the people in the gym who train so much and every year they look the same and get no stronger
    work tris hard with board presses and floor presses to make bench go up
    good luck

Crazy Bencher is offline Junior Member
    DIPS, DIPS, weighted DIPS, close grip bench, BUT DONT OVER TRAIN....

I had a buddy like you in HS he was 225 and his max was 245 on bench BUT on squats he did 550 for reps at age 17....you can thank your parents for your geans...

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Re: Bench Press

ever trying switching up your routine, like one week work with dumbell and another week use barbell, and maby somewhere doen the line maby superset them together. but make sure you do not go overboard and overwork your chest. just food for thought????

BENCHPRESS is offline New Member
    TRAIN LIKE A POWERLIFTER NOT A BODYBUILDER FOR STRENGTH. HEAVY ONCE A WEEK USING DIFERRENT MAXIUM EFFORT MOVEMENTS EACH WEEK, IE. BOARDS, CHAINS, BANDS, FLOOR PRESSES. BOARD PRESSES, RACK LOCK OUTS ETC. AND REGULAR BENCHES ONCE A MONTHS. HAVE A SPEED DAY 72HOURS BEFORE YOUR MAXIUM EFFORT DAY. TWO KEY ELEMENTS FOR BIG BENCH: SPEED AND TRIS. WITHOUT OUT SPEED AND EXPLOSION OUT OF THE WHOLE YOU WILL HIT THAT WALL AND IF YOU DONT TRAIN TRIS LIKE A FREAKING ANIMAL THERE WILL BE NO LOCK OUT. STAY FOCUSED AND TRAIN HARD. THE GLADIATOR

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    If all else fails, do a simple approach. The only thing is you need patience. Next time you bench, increase the weight by 2 lbs. The next week, keep increasing. Start your workout with bench press and add slight amounts of weight. Sure, sounds like 2 lbs a week is nothing big. But even for 1RM, think about 8lb gain in a bench in a month, multiply that by 12. That's 96 lbs added in a year. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it won't strain any joints or supporting muscles because it's gradual. You'll be catching up and passing your workout partner this time next year. Just my two cents...

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Do the "21" method. Its where you do 60% of your bench and you got to get it 21 times in 9 minutes. If you get it, the next week add 5 pounds to it. If you dont get it 9 min you have to do it again next week. I guarantee that it will work. Even if you dont get it in 9 min, still finish it which i mean still do your 21 reps. Also your partner can not help you getting the bar up. If he touches it , it doesnt count. But he can spot you to get the bar up at first.

Thread Information