xplicit is offline Member

Is more weight always better?

What is your feeling on this. Does it really matter if you bench 200 or 225 ? What is the scientif evidence that supports the idea heavier weight is better for mass. I look at some of the older guys in the gym and some of the ripped up kids who are in there mid 20 and there not killin themselves and they look great. Im thinking i should worry more on technique not weight. I heard you get your strenhgt is when you struggle so if it takes me 15 or 5 reps to get to the point where im pushing or struggling it dont matter as long as i get to that point right?

BUMP

jonesmeister is offline Junior Member
    im sure it works like this, to make your muscles grow u have to work them harder than they can take (i.e when u struggle to get your last reps) then your body responds by wanting more food to make you grow so u can handle the weight , and u have to keep pushing to the limits to make your muscles grow bigger and bigger and bigger.

some people need less weight than others to be at the same level or grow more because every one is different.

but u cant use large wieghts with strict form without having fair size muscles to move it.

this is all imo

jbrand is offline Member
    I remember reading in Zatsiorsky's book that 4-8RM was ideal for hypertrophy. It is also a good indicator of progress if you are getting stronger in the gym. More weight is usually a good thing as long as form is not compromised.

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah man the one thing yu must concenrate on is form and regularity(meaning in reps) Everytime you put up a wieght your muscle tears, now the body says we have to rebuild the muscle a little bit stronger so that in can carry the weight. Your body is always adapting to try and make your life easier. Thats what happens. Sothink of it like this. if you get on th bench with 2 15 lbs dumbels, you can do 100 reps of it. Its easy, your body thinks ok not alot of wieght don't need to do anything. Now if you get down and put up 2 60 ln (or whatever is heavy for you) your uscles rip and the body says ok we need to be able to pick this up next time so when rebuilding the muscle it pus a little more on. thats why sometimes your nest gains are when you first start lifting, cause your body is completely shocked at all this weight you have to carry. the longer you lift you'll never see really quick gains like you did that first month you started unless your using gear. So to sum up yes you do need to use heavy wieght to gain muscle. BUt you must maintian your form, if you can't then that wieght it to heavy for you. Get a spot or drop wieght.
    and remeber with other people you may look at them and say he is jacked and not using too much wight, they may have a low BF%. so they look a lot bigger when they are just really cut. I mean i can lift way more hten my friend, but he weighs like 160 lbs and i weigh 200. So he looks alot bigger then me.

Sorry for th long reply and i hope this helps

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    I say go as heavy as you can with 4-6 reps. Eventually you will be able to go 7 or 8 reps, once this happens, go up!. IMO for making size gains, if your able to put out 8 reps its time to add more weight. I just started back on this routine 4 weeks ago, and can already see the change in my body. Then after a few months I'll do higher reps for a few weeks so my body doesn't plateau. JMO, it works for me, but like everyone says, everyones body is different. Once you figure out how your body works, it will then begin to work wonders for you.

Babyweight thats what i do if i can do 8-10 reps of something it means its too easy and i do increase. My whole questions was do heavier weights really mean more mass and darkknight summed it up very well and explained it clearly. I always understood technique is important but as you move up in weight it does hurt the techniwue a little bit in the beginning. Thanks for the replies.

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Your right.....Now I understand the question.

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    thanks explcit, and sorry for the posts ebing soo long, but seriosly if you are bumping up a wieght get a spotter, shit just ask someone walking around. Tell the m exactly what to do , say I am going for 8 reps, i think i may need help on 6 - 8. Flat out. you need to keep that form man. I wish i cuold listen to my own advice. lol

Darkknight i do increase my weight and i do manage to keep good form, my friend spots me for the last 8 months or so and he sux. I yellled at him the other day i HATE when some one does the weight for me. I just want some one to be there to make sure i dont get sloppy and keep my form in check now push the weight up for me, which he doesnt do. He pushed my freakin elbows up so fast the other day on dumb bells presses that i wasnt ready for it i almost dropped a 90 pound weight on my face. I told him get the hell away from me i dotn want spots anymore. So now since i dont trust him i dropped weight a lil bit and i rather struggle liek that instead of this kid doign the weight for me and possbibly hurting me.

keep my form in check and NOT push the weight up i might to write

Thread Information