HiFi is offline Associate Member

Angry newbie workout question

When i work out, lets say my back, i do about 3 sets 10 reps, and about 4 different exercises, if i set the weight too high, i have trouble finishing all 10 reps because i get too tired, so i set it at about 50 lbs, and i can finish fine, but i dont seem to be struggling on the 10th rep, should i increase the reps? also im not getting sore really, so im not sure what technique will work for me. i could do heavy weight but then i would need to rest longer before i could lift again. plz help i dont want to be wasting my time at the gym

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    3 sets 10 reps :

machine rows
    dumbell rows
    lat pulldowns
    some cables

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Worry less about the number of repitions and put more emphasis on feeling the muscle contract. What I mean is pause slightly at the peak of the movement and squeeze (flex) the muscle. You should be using a weight that will force you to do gradually less reps on consecutive sets. For example if you can perform 10 reps on your first and last sets you are not using enough weight. You should be able to just barely get 10 on set one...maybe 8-9 on set 2 and maybe 6-8 on set three. If not, you are not using enough weight and not stressing the muscle enough.

Brown_Bear73 is offline New Member
    Everything I have ever read has told me that you should be going to failure. A new source that I just bought told this:1st set 15 reps, 2nd set 12-10 reps barely, 3rd set 10-8 reps barely, 4th set 8-6 reps barely, (Optional 5th set 6 reps with spotters help on last 2-3) Keep increasing your weight and keep pushing yourself you will see the results.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I load enough weight to bring me to failure after 3 sets of 12 with a two second pause at max load.

on the last set i always need a spot to help me complete the set which is working for me.

I agree 100% with Pete. For some peope, actually feeling the muscle tension is a relatively new concept. When I first started I was throwing around weight. Remember never to use momentum, and like Pete said, feel the muscles you are working. I feel that this applies to all muscle groups.

i agree use more heavy weight and less reps and you will see results

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Listen to pete, that was mostly what I was going to say.

Exocet is offline Associate Member
    I concur. I recently switched from doing about 12 reps on my heaviest sets (3rd and 4th) to just pumping 6 or 8 (failure point.) I can't even begin to tell you how good this has been for my workout. I can FEEL my muscles recovering for the next couple of days, its great! My muscles are getting a much needed kick in the butt now.. it has given me new enthusiasm for going to the gym.

Thread Information