PoorMan is offline Junior Member

Should I change my routine?

Hello, I've been working out for about 10 months. Overall, I've had good results in terms of strength and the way I look. I've been doing the same routine for about 4 months, but I havent had any real strength increases since starting it. Im sore as hell after every workout (except my back workout, not always that sore. I think I'm doing something wrong) but I haven't had any good strength increases with this routine. Although I do notice better size on me. I've been on a low carb diet about the same amount of time. 3-4 months. Just finishing up. Lost 60lbs in 4 months by working out, taking Xenadrine, playing lots of tennis and doing the low carb diet. So now, It's time for me to concentrate on building my strength and size. I know when a person first starts lifting weights, their strength increases a lot because they've just started. Is it just that Im past that phase now after 10 months? or am I doing something wrong. Like I said, I'm always sore, so I must be growing, but my strength doesn't seem to be increasing. I've been doing about 210lbs on the flat bench for what seems like an eternity (started at 125lbs max bench 10 months ago). I feel like Ive hit a plateu. Can anyone give me some input? Much appreciated. Thanks.

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Bro, obviously it's difficult to know for sure on limited info but it sounds to me like everything has gone as well as you could have hoped for right?

60lbs fat loss and considerable strength gain in 10 months is fantastic! As you get leaner you will look bigger so this may account for why you seem to be getting bigger lately but without the strength increase.

Now you are ready to start eating properly again, and can reduce the amount of xenadrine and tennis you are doing you should notice size and strength gains. Good luck!!

def

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    Post a breakdown of your training, maybe we can see something you can tweak a bit.

defdaz posted some good info for ya as well

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    this is common to happen after such dramatic results, it just takes some time to gain, i plateau a lot so i change up my workout or diet to make it fit what i want to achieve next, but good job on your progress so far
    peace

Yea, Im very happy with my weight loss. I went from 260lbs to 200-205 in 5 months. I still have a little bit left to lose. My body still has a lot of fat on it, but all the major fat is gone, so this last bit I need to lose is only like 10-15lbs. I'm not as happy as Id like to be with my strength gains. But of course you have to work on one thing (the weight loss) before you can work on another (gains). But what Im worried about, is I'm going to need lots of carbs to make good gains, right? I dont want to gain back all my fat by eating too many carbs. Cause people say after a low carb diet, you have to keep your carb intake low or else you will gain the weight back. I guess I should just slowly incorparate them into my meals and see if I start gaining weight? As for the breakdown of my training, I start on a high weight and work down on most exercises.

Day 1: Chest
    Flat Bench 4 sets 2-5-8-10 reps
    Flys 3 sets 12-16 reps
    Incline Bench 3 sets 8-12 reps

Day 2: Back (not sure if Im doing something wrong, my back isnt as sore as any other muslc group)
    Bent Over Rows 4 sets 4-6-8-10 reps
    Lat Pulldowns 4 sets 8-10-10-12
    Close Grip Pulldown 3 sets 8-10-12

Day 3: Shoulders
    Arnold Press 4 sets 8-12 reps (recently switched from Military Press)
    Laterals 4 sets 8-10-10-12
    Shrugs 4 sets 16-20 reps

Day 4: Arms
    Standing E-Z Bar Curl 4 sets 4-6-8-10
    Seated Preacher Curl 3 sets 8-10-12
    Skull Crushers 4 sets 4-6-8-10
    Tricep Pulldown 3 sets 8-10-12

And thats it. I repeat after that. I know I don't do legs, and thats not good. But I work out at home and have limited equipment. I basically take a day off whenever I need one. once, maybe twice a week. Pretty much everything in my workout is high intensity though. Usually go to failure. Im very happy with my weight loss and muscle gains so far, but my strength has gone very slow. I used to be able to put an extra 10lbs on the flat bench every 2 weeks or so. Now Ive been at about 210-215 on the bench for about 2 months. Is it just cause of my low carbing? Or should I change my routine. Check it out and let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
    Last edited by PoorMan; 09-02-2002 at 12:15 PM.

Hey Buddha, I noticed that you updated your fat loss chart, that's some good work bro, keep it up! Sorry if I got off topic, guys..

Rowdy is offline New Member
    work deadlifts into back day, if u hit them hard i guarantee soreness!

My lower back is usually pretty sore form bent over rows. What can I do about my upper back? Any good exercises?

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    The French Curler: hey thanks bro!!

Maybe include some lunges with dumdbells, that will work the hell outta the legs, you grab a bell and do a deep lung with every step, touch the knee with every step and you will feel it.

tomorrow when im more rested i will try do dig up a video or or something more helpful for ya

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Wow...Congrats man, you have acomplished alot. Couple of things I see here though:
    1.) It is absolutely neccssary to change things-diet, routines, etc.
    2.) You will never grow without some carbs. You seem to have the right idea of encorporating them back into your diet slowly. If you start to put on too much weight, cut back. Good call...
    3.) As for your back routine, you could be going alot more. Deadlifts are one of the few most important exercises for strength and size (provided you know how to do them correctly). In my particular routine, I use three exercises for the upper lats and three for the middle. For example:
    1.Pull ups-3 sets
    2. Behind neck lat pull downs
    3. Lat pull downs (ones in front)
    4. BO BB Row
    5. Hammer Strength Row thing
    6. Seated cable row, etc etc.

4.) Every workout I change which part (upper/lower) I do first. Ex: one day I'll start with pull ups, the next, BO BB Rows.
    5.) Change your grips daily.
    6.) Lastly, I have found that back workouts are the most challenging to do correctly becase no one is there to tell you if you are going too heavy. One could be going so heavy that it turns into a biceps workout. If those and your forearms get tired first, its too heavy. Try feeling every rep and sqeezing at the peak. I bring this up only becasue I made this mistake myself.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Hope this helps some...

Thanks a lot flgator. Got some helpful tips there. I'll work on some of it. What are Hammer Strength Rows? I do behind the neck lat pulldowns, should I do front lat pulldowns too? They work good? One of my problems is I workout at home, so I cant do any exercise I want. Like seated cable rows or pull ups. When you say change your grips, how do you mean? Sometimes when doing BO BB rows, my arms do get tired first, but sometimes they dont. Always using the same weight also. I dont know. Just depends how I feel on that particular day I guess. Thanks again for the info.

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Hmmm..working out at home sucks... Tell me about it. I did it for three years. Well, here goes. Hammer Strength machines are usually founnd at gyms. They have them for bench press, shoulder press, row, etc. Nothing exciting, just some more variety. Personally, I like the front lat pulll down becasue I can really focus and sqeeze that area of the lat under my shoulder. Try 'em in addition to your other exercises. If you can get your hands on some dumbells, try BO DB rows, one side at a time (the ones where you lean on a bench) after BO BB rows. These can be rewarding too. As for your question about grips: anything goes. Some say, the wider the grip, the more V-shape you get. I say use a wide grip, use a close grip, use any grip, as long as you are constantly changing it. Try different bars (if you can find them). There are some that have the palms facing inward, etc. Another thing, my lat pull down thing could be converted so that the cable came out on the floor as well (in other words, I could do seated rows). I am assuming yours can not?
    Good luck...

Yea, my lat tower doesnt convert so I can do seated rows. My setup is an incline/decline/flat bench with lat tower, preacher curl and leg extensions. I have 2 DB bars and a couple sets of cast iron DB's I use for various stuff. So I can try some BO DB rows. Working at home does kind of suck. Especially since we dont have a lot of space even if we wanted to buy a bunch of equipment. But I just feel more comfortable working out at home. Dont have to wait for machines or anything. Just go downstairs, do my thing and come back upstairs and relax. I defenitely want to start working my legs though. Can anyone recommend a good all around leg machine I can buy for a decent price? Or some good exercises? I wanna start doin some leg extensions, leg presses, etc. Squats I just dont feel comfortable with unless I have like a power rack or smith machine or something. Just too much weight to have on a barbell on my shoulders. Anyway, thanks for all the tips flgator and everyone else.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Switch your grip to an underhand on BO barbell rows. Keep them close to your sides and really squeeze at the top. That should give you a little different angle. Deadlifts are great for you cuz you don't work your legs seperately, at least this way they'll get a little workout.

Thread Information