Thread: cardio

MuscleGuru is offline Banned

cardio

will cardio on an empty stomach burn more muscle then cardio right after eating?

basically, what's the best time or way to burn fat and preserve muscle?

should cardio and workout be spread apart to preserve muscle or it makes no difference?

how many times a week is cardio best?

intense cardio or weak? should it be done for a long time with a more moderate speed, or a shorter distance with higher speed?

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Go to fitness forums and ask these questions bro...lots of help there.

P

thanks, but what's the fitness forum?

Mike Guest
    whoa bud....please find the right forum topost in - i will move these for you - and PLEASE condense your posts - dont make like 8 new posts at once...

Go back to the main Forums page and scroll down my friend. You will enjoy.

P

sorry

OK chief here we go...
    Cardio is best performed first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. After a night of fasting (while sleeping) the body depeletes it's stored energy...so when you perform cardio on an empty stomach your body uses the next most readily available fuel source...stored body fat.

Frequency and duration will vary with your goals. A good guidline is 4-5 times per week....25-40 minutes per session.

If you want to boost your fat burning abilities incorporate High intensisty interval training. Instead of a slow steady pace for 40 minutes increase your output for short intervals over a lesser period. Ex.. Jog 5 minutes, sprint 1 minute, jog i minute x 5 (10 minutes total) and jog another 5 minutes...total time 20 minutes. You can obviously get more involved than that if you chose.

If you are going to do cardio and wieghts back to back, do wieghts first. You will deplete your carb stores by lifting so when you go to do cardio...again your body dips into stored fat as energy.

Hope this helps a bit.

P

thanks, should i take creatine or ephedrine pills before the cardio session?

ptbyjason Guest
    Man do yourself and everyone else on this board a favor.

First off, welcome to the board. You will find all of the answers you need on this board. We are here to steer everyone in the right direction. The next thing is, you need to start reading. Look for the search button on the top right side of the page. Start searching and reading. I want to help you, but man please read a little bit first.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I think Pete has done a good job of answering your questions but have a good look around bro for the questions you have asked have been asked many times befor eand the info is all here.How long have you been a fitness instructor for?

started a month ago

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Pete

Originally posted by Pete235
    OK chief here we go...
    .so when you perform cardio on an empty stomach your body uses the next most readily available fuel source...stored body fat.

P
    Pete, I have a question for ya. Now I to have heard the cardio on a empty stomach theory before as well and I have incorporated it into my routines as well. But since then I have had to adjust this theory around some what based on just what I have read in nutrtional articles ect. See if this makes sense to you and I would like to hear ALL the mods response to this if possible.

It is in the natural gentic makeup of your body to store body fat not only for internal cushion of the major vital organs but to save reserves in time of famine as well. Now in the early AM hours with nothing in your stomach your body will natuarlly be forced to draw on reserves right? I have found that this is not always the case. Your body will draw on much hard gained lean muscle mass long before it begins to pull on fat reserves. It will try to hang onto the fat reserves as much as possible useing them only as a last resort. I try drinking some type of carbo drink which will give my body some sort of energy to draw from but at the same time trying to keep lean loss to a minimal. Now I'm not sure if my way of thinking is correct here but I thought that I would run it across this thread because it addressed this issue. Whats you input on this?
    IC
    Last edited by Tobey; 10-21-2001 at 08:17 AM.

ptbyjason Guest
    I've heard both argued very convincingly in the past. I'm not sure if it is better to do cardio on an empty stomach or not. I thought it was at first, then I heard the other argument. One problem you have with not eating/drinking first is a decrease in energy. You can push yourself much harder after you eat/drink something therefore you will probably burn more calories and get more out of the workout.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Agreed Pete !!!!

It takes a bit to get used to it ,,,, if your not used to excercise on an empty stomach you need to push past the 10 minute barrier ...( seems to be the hardest 10 minutes you'll ever go thru ... try and keep your mind occupied so your not watching every second tick away ,,, good luck

Mole is offline New Member
    The problem I've encountered before morning cardio is if I eat anything I have to wait at least an hour or else I tend to regurgitate some of what I ate or drank.
    So I just run without it and push myself that much harder to make up for the loss of energy. The way I see it is 35 minutes of cardio without a meal first is about the same as 40-45 minutes of cardio with a meal first.
    I'm no expert though.

Mole

Originally posted by Mole
    I eat anything I have to wait at least an hour or else I tend to regurgitate some of what I ate or drank.
    No worries bro...keep doin what you're doin. We are simply offering variations on a subject that has been debated before. Do what works best for you but keep an open mind.

P

Thread Information