Farmer is offline Member

Question about Heart Rate and calories

Hey everyone, this may be a simple question to answer but I am kind of foggy on the answer because I here contradicting storys from people at my gym. If you are exercising and your heart rate is at say 160 BPM are you going to burn the same amount of calories no matter what exercise it is, if you stay at 160? For example, if I was doing the stairclimber at 160 BPM or the eliptical runner at 160 BPM would I burn the same amount of calories??

Thanks in advance everyone!

peace

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    hmmmd amn that is a good question. Does it matter whats moving yiu mena? like as long as your hr is at a scertain rate . I think it doesn't matter. As long as your heart rate is up you will burn the same amount of cals no matter hwat your doing.

Farmer this is either a good question or me and you are really brain dead lol

Farmer is offline Member
    rofl I know bro...I was thinking just now that activity might affect it...like if you were stairclimbing and your HR was 160 or Lifting weights intensely and your HR was 160, it seems you'd burn more with the latter...BUT it would take some serious lifting and hardly any rest to keep your HR up like that.

peace

PLEASE SOMEONE solve the madness

yeah seriously i would like ot know this

Farmer is offline Member
    Just need to bump this...

Farmer is offline Member
    Sorry been a day or so..BUMP

peace

Farmer is offline Member

up

i wonder if eople just don't knwo the answer, Its a stupid question, or no one is bothering.

Farmer is offline Member
    Well first off, its isn't a stupid question...because no where in this post are the words "Cell-tech", "ZMA".. and someone would've dropped a line that it was dumb and left the answer..PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER!!!!

thanks

sweetgirl is offline Female Member
    hello guys,
    actually, im also wondering about cardio and heart rates

i usually do cardio, for at least, 1 hour at a really high heart rate, and im sweating a lot, and i can barely keep a conversation giong.....
    ...but i recenthly heard to keep my heart rate frm 140-150, so i can burn the fat and not my muscles.....

...but, i dont sweat as much, and i dont seem to get the most of my cardio if i dont go fast......its a lot easier, but which one is better ????

....should i go by how much i sweat,.....or should i go with the heart rate ????
    ...and yes, it is a really good question....
    sweetgirl

williampowers is offline Junior Member
    This is an interesting argument that everyone in the fitness community is split on. I personally think that calories deficit is what matters . At a higher rate you burn more period. If fat loss is your goal it's impossible to not burn muscle as well. I trained for getting ripped the last 4 mos and noticed that I burned the most at the 75-85 percent range for 40-60 minutes on an empty stomach 3-4 times a week.
    - I burned some muscle but if you keep you protein and low glycemic carbs up you can limit this catabolic state. I also expereinced alot of sucess with interval later in the cardio to bump at of your comfort zone.
    -I also incorporated a 30sec rest in between sets and added more reps (12) and volume
    Last edited by williampowers; 06-12-2002 at 10:24 AM.

no but what farmer and i would like ot know is Does it matter what the excerscise is. Like does it matter if i get my heart rate up to 160 bpm on the stepper or the tread mill, or even lifting wieghts??? does it still burn the same amount of calories.

Understand. Like will you burn more cals if your heart rate is at 160 bpm for 10 min on the tread mill

or will you burn more cals if your heart rate is at 160 bpm on the stepper for 10 min

or " " lifting weights for 10 min

i hope that clears it up

williampowers is offline Junior Member
    The machines at my gym count cal burned and the precor seems to burn more for me in the same time, but I read that the treadmill is rated number 1 cardio for getting fit

Farmer is offline Member
    There are alot of good responses coming in but as darknight said I am just looking for the answer of, if your HR is 160 will you burn the same amount of cals no matter what your body is doing??

peace

SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOLVE THIS MADNESS

hahhahaha this is funny famrer.

superbeast is offline Member
    It really doesn't matter what type of activity you are doing. Your heart rate increases or decreases according to how much energy your muscles are burning. Your heart is delivering oxygenated blood to the muscle cells for aerobic energy to be burned. If one activity was burning more calories (energy) than another activity, then your heart rate would have to increase to compenstae for the increased need for oxygen to burn those increased calories.

This make sense to you guys? I hope it helped. It isn't a dumb question or anything, this is the first time I saw this thread.

i think it makes sense. So what ur saying is find the excercise which uses the most body parts or that uses the most energy?? damn i got confused. I am lost forget it. lol I iwll fig it out.

Originally posted by Darkknight442
    i think it makes sense. So what ur saying is find the excercise which uses the most body parts or that uses the most energy?? damn i got confused. I am lost forget it. lol I iwll fig it out.
    No what I'm saying is that your heart rate is indicative of how many calories you are burning, no matter what the activity.

ahhhhhhhhhh ok i gotcha. so me ad farmer are looking at it the wrong way. Or at least i was.

sweetgirl is offline Female Member
    and what about ........

i have an other question:

1 ) if i sweat more on a certain machine, does it mean that im burning more calories ?
    2 ) ...and does it really matter where i keep my heart rate at ??
    3 ) ...and how much cardio is too much ??

4 ) ...and is it really true that your body get use to the cardio machine, like u can get use to with the weight trainning, and u need to swtich machine sometimes ??

well, its all for fat loss im talking about !! ....

5 ) and what about when u reach a plateau, where u dont seem to lose any more fat, and your doing tons of cardio, watching what u eat....do - - u start doing more cardio or......
    - cut back your cardio ??????
    ....yeah, that was a few questions..... any suggestion what is better ???

sweetgirl

Farmer is offline Member
    Originally posted by superbeast

No what I'm saying is that your heart rate is indicative of how many calories you are burning, no matter what the activity.
    hehe, i love this, this thread is like a dead horse and i am beating the hell out of it!!! ....so superbeast what you are saying is no matter WHAT the exercise is if your heart rate is the same for any of the exercises you are burning the same number of calories?? (sorry i know you answered it already but I was approached with the question I am asking you and I just want to confirm they are hte same)

peace bro

Originally posted by Farmer

....so superbeast what you are saying is no matter WHAT the exercise is if your heart rate is the same for any of the exercises you are burning the same number of calories??
    peace bro
    Yes!

FINALLY FARMER... THE MADNESSS IS OVER> i can finally sleep now... lol thanks Super

You guys are nuts!

hahahahahah thanks

Farmer is offline Member
    WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I CAN NOW GET A GOOD NIGHTS REST!!!!!
    thanks or clearing that up bro, now when this phuck at my gym is like "Do the stairstepper fool, you burn more calories" IM gonna be like OH HELL NO!!! LEMME TELL YOU SOMETHING!!! rofl

peace

Yeha and i he still gives you shit then Super beast has to meet you in washington to back you up. lol

Farmer is offline Member
    no doubt, it would be a trek for the both of you, reppin the east coast and all

peace

pitaans is offline New Member
    This will help you,great site!
    www.hussman.org/fitness/bmrcalc/htm.

pitaans is offline New Member

Farmer is offline Member
    thanks bro, im a tall handsome 19 year old

peace

yo pitaans, that site kicks ass. got questions about some of the terms though.. lol

Take your lean weight and multiply by 1.15 for men, or 1.20 for women. That gives you a "typical" overall body weight in pounds

i that mean that is the wieght I should be at. or is that telling me the weight i truly am at now????

2nd
    My lean body mass. is what my mass is right. which is me with no fat. sooo if i wanna just have like a 1% bf my weight would have to be 175?

Thread Information