Gene is offline Associate Member

Rest Between Sets?

How long are bodybuilders supposed to rest between sets? I've heard 2-3 minutes and to avoid over 3 minutes... What's so special about 3 minutes? I see guys walk around for 4-5 minutes between sets... So what's the standard and what are the preferences around here?

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    I usually do it like this if i'm trying to lose weight i shorten it to 30 sec and 1 minute, If i'm doin major movements like squats/deadlift i usually wait till i have caught my breath , what are you trying to achieve Cut/ Bulk

BigD is offline Associate Member
    True it depends on if you’re cutting or bulking.

I'm currently trying to cut so I rest 45secs between reps. This just keeps my heart rate up while working out thus burning more calories.

jbrand is offline Member
    Rest intervals should be determined by the nature of the movement (compound movements recruit more motor units/more neurologically demanding) and the intensity (% of 1RM/lower reps generally require longer rest intervals) of the movement.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    right, 90 sec. is good, you should still be a little tired when you do your set but not fully recovered
    peace

bigblanco is offline New Member
    anything over 2 minutes and your muscles are already starting to cool down. i shoot for 60 seconds, when i'm trying to bulk up its closer to 2min

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    If your cutting, 60sec at the most. If your bulking you could take 5 min after every set. Its alot diffrent for bulking then cutting.

Gene is offline Associate Member
    Why? What's the big difference?

60 seconds rest between failure sets? That sounds impossible... are you implying not taking sets to failure?

Thread Information