dumb rookie needs help

Here is a little background before the question;

Age 40
    HT. 6'4"
    WT. 266
    Chest 52"
    Waist 44"
    Arms 16 1/2"

I have never worked out with weights before last week, but after fooling around with them for a few days I realized that this is something I could become addicted to.
    According to the "Fitness Calculators" on here I have a BMI of 33 and a body fat of 24%.

Now what do I do to get stronger and trim the fat to an acceptable level, and what is an acceptable level?

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    As far as BF, the mean average for men is 18-22%. But that takes into consideration people who are extremely deconditioned. For an individual who choses to lead a healthy lifestyle (not competitive) I would say an "acceptable level" would be between 12-18%. That's a wide gap but how happy you are with your level of fitness is subjective from person to person.

If you are very very new the guys here can make recommendations on specific exercisies. However, in a nutshell, to get where you want to be, I would adopt a wieght training regime that had you lifting wieghts 4 times per week. Break each workout into body parts. ex:

Mon - chest, triceps
    Tue - back, biceps, calves
    Wed - off
    Thur - legs
    Fri - shoulders, calves

Perform 5 exercises for legs (3 for quads, 2 for hamstrings)
    Perform 3-4 exercises for chest, back, shoulders
    perform 3 exercisies for biceps, triceps, calves

* Warm up thoroughly and perform 3 sets per exercise, 8-10 repitions per set

Even more important is diet. Check out our diet forum. Do a search for "diets" and if you can't find what you need, post a question there as well and we will help.

Good Luck bro and welcome to the iron game,
    Pete

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Pete's the man, good post bro.

3XL, Pete has given you some sound advice, might I add you stats are impressive for someone new to the irongame, on paper you have some mighty potential.

The diet will be key for losing fat, eat small regular meals throughout the day, 6-7 in total, have a balance of carbs and protein, minimise the fat, drink plenty of water.

Post in the diet section if you want further info.

Also I'd throw in 1-2 CV sessions each week if fat loss is your goal.

Pete is spot on with the bf, I would ignore the BMI as it really is outdated and doesn't take into consideration body composition.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    you got some good advice here 3xl. both of those guys know what they're talking about. i just wanted to add that you need to make sure you listen to your body. you may get that addiction and begin to overtrain. keep the workouts short, sweet, and intense. and above all, have fun. good luck

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Bro, you're butter baby! You already got size, you're halfway done! Some of us (LIKE ME!) still have some sizing up to do...consider yourself lucky.

Welcome to the game bro. You're gonna love it!

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Wait until the complements roll in. My favorite is when girs are flirting with you and they (multiple girls) are all over the guns and chest... makes it all worth it.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    All these guys gave good advise but if your tring to drop some bf i would add some cardio a few days a week.

3XL
    3XL is offline New Member
    Thanx Gents,

I posted a ? in the diet section.

I am doing some mild cardio daily to help help stretch muscles I had forgotten existed, as I am able to increase the intensity of CV workouts I will probably decrease them to 3-4 times a week.

As far as lifting goes should I concentrate more on heavy weights or higher reps? I am trying to shed fat all over while trying to build some muscle in my weakest areas, namely my shoulders and legs.

Later.

Thread Information