BigD is offline Associate Member

Beginner Tips (Basic Leg workouts)

For many, LEGS are the foundation for which a healthy physique is formed. To a large number of others, the leg day is the one square on the calendar that you painfully dread, the one that you know will require both vigorous effort and agonizing labor.

Hack Squats: After setting the desired weight, station yourself inside the machine, so your shoulders are flush underneath the pads and your feet are in the middle of the platform. You feet should be at a shoulder length width. Releasing the safety bar, slowly bend your knees, allowing the weight to push your buttocks toward the platform. When your quadriceps are parallel to the floor – or perhaps dip a little lower - immediately reverse the movement, exploding the through an upward motion. Stop just before your knees are locked as you squeeze your legs during the contraction. Try 3-4 sets of 10-12 repetitions.

Leg Presses: Lie down on the machine so that your feet are on the platform. Make sure that your feet are parallel to each other and not pointed inward or outward. Allow the weight to push your knees toward your torso. Stop when your knees form a 90-degree angle. Reverse the movement as you push with your legs, pushing your torso away from the platform. As your legs begin to straighten out, stop just short of your knees being locked. Slowly let the weight bring your buttocks down into the starting position. Try 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps.

Leg Extensions: Sitting on the bench, clasp your ankles underneath the pads, gripping the side handles for balance. Slowly raise the pads, squeezing your quads, and stop the motion when your knees are locked in front of you. Squeeze your quads for a two-count before releasing the tension, allowing your legs to drop to the starting position. Repeat the motion for 3 sets of 12-15 for an incredible burn.

Hamstring Curls: Set yourself face down on the hamstring machine, sliding your heels underneath the pads. Grip on to the handles for balance. Setting a manageable weight, slowly curl your legs upward, so your heels push toward your buttocks. Your feet should be flexed during the movement. Curling upward, the motion should stop when your legs and torso form an angle of roughly 45 degrees. Squeeze your hamstrings during the motion. Slowly release the weight and return to the starting position, as your legs should straighten out. Repeat this movement for 10-12 reps for 3–4 sets.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Nice informative post. Don't forget regular squats!

BigD is offline Associate Member
    That's why I put Beginner and Basic

But yes you cant beat regular squats.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    lol

its good to know that leg extentions do that to everyone else.
    I wasnt sure if i was a freak but they ALWAYS hurt.

great faq.. thanks for posting it bro!

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks for the informative post looks good. Considering on how small my legs are any help is worth it. Thanks bro!

What about building mass?

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Big D, my bad.... I just figured if you're going to start you might as well start doing squats also. By far and away the best leg exercise out there. I think you would get more results from doing 4 sets of squats then some of the others combined.

Thread Information