BigD is offline Associate Member

Question How to Calculate Heart Rate

How do you calculate what your heart rate needs to be during a cardio session to maximize fat lose. I typically have been getting on the treadmill and going as hard as I can. Somebody told me that is incorrect and that after a certain level you are defeating the purpose and start to burn muscle as well. I just wanted to know basically what your heart rate needs to be to burn the most fat during cardio. I remember there being a formula for this but cannot remember what it was.

If this post doesn't make any sense let me know and I will try and clarify.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Count your beats within 6 seconds and times them by 10

or count beats for 10 seconds and times them by 6

Use a chart for your age and activity never go above 80% max beats per minute....

fastman is offline New Member
    This is something I know a little about. The rule is 80% of your max heart rate. The usual formula is 220-age. The trouble with this is that it on average will read a little low for men and a little high for women. Also an athlete will be able to get their heart rate higher. If all you are doing is trying to do a little cardio the 220-age and 80% will work fine. If you are doing a little more serious you need to get to a sports medicine clinic and have some work done there. When you start to go anaerobic (over the 80% on average) then your body will start getting energy wherever it can including muscle. You want to train just bellow the anaerobic level to burn the most calories and see get the most gains. The best way to measure heart rate is with a monitor and you can get those cheap any more.

If you are really interested in a lot more detail on anaerobic threshold training, max heart rate determination, testing and other stuff email me.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member

Re: How to Calculate Heart Rate

Originally posted by BigD
    How do you calculate what your heart rate needs to be during a cardio session to maximize fat lose. I typically have been getting on the treadmill and going as hard as I can.
    There is a good formula designed by the Cooper Institued that takes into consideration your personal fitness level, and if you want it pm me and I'll explain it, but for a simple figure

Men 205-half your age is maximum heart rate and then take 60-70 % of that.

The key here is FAT burning. Yes you can go harder and still burn a lot of fat but you'll tire more easily and you'll burn a lot more glycogen as well.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Training Intenseities

All right Guys,
    I'm on this one like stank on a terd! Here's how you figure this out. I'm also including how to figure out your lean muscle mass and fat weight as well.

1)Current Body Weight (BW) =_____________ lbs.
    2) Current Body Fat percentage (%b/f)=____________%
    3)Fat Weight(FW) = BW x % B/F
    4) Lean Body Mass (LBM) = BW- FW
    5) Age________
    The Fat weight would be how many pounds of fat that you havein your overall bodyweight.
    The lean muscle mass would be the total amount of muscle you have out of your total body weight

Ok that was not really needed to calculate your training Intensities but I thought that I would post it any way. Now the answer to your questions is......

First you need to estimate your maximal heart rate(MHR) according to the following formula.

Maxium Heart Rate= 220 minus your age, so if you were 20 years old your MHR would be 220 - 20 = 200 bpm. (beats per minute)

Now you need to check your resting heart Rate.(RHR)
    Some time after you have been sitting quitely fo at least 15 to 20 minutes take your pulse for 30 seconds and multiply this by 2. Or you can just take it for a full minute. You need to count the number of beats in this time frame.
    This number will be your Resting Heart Rate.

Now you need to determine your Heart Rate Reserves(HRR)
    You do this be subtracting the resting heart rate from the maxium heart rate. HRR = MHR - RHR

Now we are ready to calculate your training intensties. We will do this at 40%,50%,60% and 85%.

Multiply the heart rate reserves by the respective 40,50,60 and 85 percentages and then add the resting heart rate to all four of these figures. Use this as an example with a person having a resting heart rate of 68 bpm and at 20 years old.

MHR = 220 - 20 = 200pbm

RHR = 68 bpm

HRR = 200 - 68 = 132 bpm

Train Intensities will be abbreviated as TI
    % Ti = (HRR x Ti%) + RHR = heart beats per minute at that % TI

Be sure to convert Ti percentages into decimals here

40%TI = ( 132 x .40) + 68 = 121 bpm

50% TI = ( 132 x .50) + 68 = 134 bpm

60% TI = ( 132 x .60) + 68 = 147 pbm

85% TI = ( 132 x .85) + 68 = 180 bpm

Low Intenstiey cardiorespiratory training zone = 121 to 134 bpm

Optimal cardiorespiratory training zone = 147 to 180 bpm

When you excerise to improve the cardio respiratory system you should maintain the heart rate between the 60% and 85% training intensities to obtain adequate developement.

If you have been physically inactive ( not lifting weights here, what I mean is if you have not been doing your cardio as much as you should) you should train around the 40% to 50% range during the first 6 to 8 weeks. Then you gradually increase this range week by week. As you do this you can increase your protien intake as well. I'll explain below.

PLEASE READ THE PARAGRAHS BELOW. IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MISTAKE THAT I HAVE SEEN ALOT OF PEOPLE MAKE HERE AT AR.

Now I hear people all the time speak of how many grams of protien one needs to take ect. And for the active BB who does his cardio in the optimal range 1.5 to 2 grams is ok. BUT if you are not training within this range on a regular basis, your excessive amount of protien WILL turn to BODY FAT. I think that in alot of the PM's that I have had in the past some of the guys got mixed signals because based on what I heard they were doing I would always reccommend a MUCH lower protien intake yet they would hear post about taking in much higher amunts of protien.(1.5 to 2 grams) I would explain that they need to raise the training Intensites up before they would be able to notice sufficent lean muscle mass gains. NOW before everyone gets in a ruckus, this may not apply to one who is currently on a cycle. The added hormonal level and other various biological aspects are alot higher than the norm so THEY may be ok with higher protien intakes. BUT this does not hold true at all for one who is lifting naturally. Believe me, keep eating protien out the butt and see if your body fat either stays the same or goes up. WAY UP!

Told you I was gonna be all over this!
    Good luck
    Tobey

Just in case

If you are not sure where you are in your training zone, try this. Once you have completed your cardio for the day, immediately take your pulse. Count the number of beats per minute as described above. If you have figured out your personal training intensities correctly you should be able to determine your present zone. I have used this method for years and I can say that many of the people that I have trained in the past always gave me the highest reccomendations because they got results. After all, if your working your butt off, dose'nt it make sense to at least know where you are and where you need to go to obtain the results you want. Good Luck
    IC

PS- Now I know that I do not have to mention this but I'm gonna anyway. You need to keep a real close eye on your diet. A crappy diet will ruin everything that you are trying to accomplish before you even get there.
    IC

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Cooper Fitness

You'll have to register (free) but great tools For training heart rate, bmi, risk factors.

BigD is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for all the help guys that is exactly what i was looking for. I had seen formulas like that before but i couldn't remember any of them. Thanks again!

PEACE!!

Gotta Bump this

BUMP

Bump for Jason

I'm bumping this one for Jason

The original jason Guest
    OK bro just read all that not sure if theres anything new think its just written different but excellent post man I havent got the patience lol thanks

jason

Thread Information