tharealest is offline New Member

Question bad back but must do heavy squats

wuts up everyone , i hurt my lower back in football like 3 years ago and it never really healed compleatly. i did phyical therpy and all that but it only realy seams to hurt when i run sprints and do heavy squats. But in order to get my legs big like my arms i have to do negitivs, is there anyway i could get away from doin heavy ass weight on squats but still get muscle mass on my legs?

How about heavy leg press or hack squats, still get most of the benifits of squats but limit the amount of stress on your back. I know this is gonna sound odd to you, considering you seem so set on doing nothing but heavy weight, but try burning them out with less weight. but my legs were at a plateau until I actually lowered the weight and started repping them out (40-50 reps). Talk about shock. You may want to try a few work-outs doing these and then let us know what you think.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    yea bro hurt my lower back and have degenerating disks. ended my power lifting cause everytime i squat i feel knife like pain jab in that area. sometimes i still squat though but dont go much over 405 for reps. usually do real heavy leg press and my legs still grow.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    There is a guy at my gym that only do leg presses do to his bad back.

yea thats good advice with tha leg press but i work out at home and dont have that. I guess i will do wut big red said and just burn em out like every other week or somethin instead of just heavy weight. Thanks .

Do leg presses but avoid knee extensions and you should be fine.

thats the way to go - stick with leg presses and for better support always use your belt, even when you do shoulder pressesses - it puts your back at risk (assuming u lift heavy on shoulder press)

vielbistdu is offline New Member
    Leg presses would work better for you, because your back would go out on your squats from the way up. Heavy leg presses feel awesome to me because I can really work my quads more directy.

with leg presses you can go super heavy and to failure with 1 spotter. i got 23(8 on each side,4 on top,1 on rack and 2 on handles) 45lb plates for 10 reps and could go to complete failure cause can push knees when last one is stuck to help out spotter

SAC
    SAC is offline New Member
    bro the mind/body does not recognize wt...it recognizes intensity. def. of intensity is time under load. as you can see you can do two things to increase the intensity...increase the amount of time it takes to do the rep or increase the wt of the rep. seeing that you have a bad back go with the increase in time. ex.: 10 seconds down, 1 second at the bottom, and 10 seconds up.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    i think leg presses should be good, remember good form though cuz presses can still put a strain on the back, form over weight, you could get away w/ deep squats if your knees are not bothering you, but go light and feel the stretch and burn
    peace

sac has a good point the last rep i usually do slow and intense for a final burn--makes you big

do you think for squats a set 4 , 10,8,6,4, would be good with lighter weight doin em really slow or should i do diff. reps? also iv been tryin to strengthen my lower back and all tha muscles around my hips cause thats wut causes my back pain is my hips shift. Thanks for tha info fellas

Thread Information