Hosegood is offline New Member

Question Fighter needs help

Hello everybody. I'm new here and also new to weight training. I'm a MMA fighter who needs to stay under 205. I want to gain as much power as possible without adding weight. I've still got a little extra bodyfat which I can afford to lose but I've gained muscle also and am having to lose the fat to make room for the muscle. The problem is I'm running out of the gut I can lose pretty quick which is cool but what then? Do any of you have any suggestions for increasing my power without increasing my weight? I also don't care much about how my physique looks, I just want more power when I need it in the cage. Juice Junkie told me that if anyone could help me you guys could. Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

I dont know but sometimes I put a good post like this and no one replys so I just copy and paste it under A different title maybe that will help you good luck bro

I guess I'll try that. Thanks bro.

bizznach is offline Associate Member
    fina is real good for strength and hardness but u would probly put on some weight but that depends more on ur diet. im no expert so get more advice

Hoopwxf is offline Female Member
    Rep range for Strength training is 1-6, best to stay below 6, I suggest 1-4. Reps higher then this causes the muscle to grow/hypertrophy. Best strength moves would be all the compound movements, squats, clean and jerk etc.
    You are the master of your body, take control and sculpt it.

Thank you for your input folks. Anyone want to add anything?

Grunt is offline New Member
    I'll take a whack at this, but keep in mind I'm not competitive in MMA, but I think my workout is along the same goals as yours.

I would look at closely at the training techniques of both Powerlifters and Olympic Lifters, but only those in weight classes. The SHW don't have to worry about making weight so the eat everything in sight.

Eat a clean diet. Concentrate on Max Power and Explosive movements.

Max Power:
    Squats, deadlifts

Explosive:
    Power Cleans/Push Press (I wouldn't advocate the snatch or clean and jerk because they are such complex lifts there is too much of learning curve)

Assistance Work:
    core, limbs, GPP

I use a modified Westside routine

Day 1:
    Max Effort-Legs (back squats, front squats, oly squats, trap bar squats, etc). I'll pick one of the mentioned exercises making it my main focus 1-5 reps building up to my heaviest singles. And then assistance work for supporting muscles.

Day 2:
    Max Effort-Press/Pull (military press, push press, db press, dips/power cleans, deads, pull ups, rows etc)
    same as above
    As far as presses I concentrate solely on compound overhead work, with some inclines thrown in. I don't feel that flat bench adds to my performance.

Day 3:
    Active Recovery/GPP/Assistance Work-Swimming, hills, truck push, calestenics

Day 4:
    Speed-Legs
    same as day 1, but I cut the weight in half, 2-3 reps/5-8 sets and just concentrate on speed

Day 5:
    Speed-same exercises as day 2, but same principles as day 4.

Day 6:
    Same Principlines as day 3, but I never include the same routine in the same week.

Day 7:
    OFF

For Max Effort I'll never do the same "main" exercise in a 3-week period and I never use the same exercise within the week between Max Effort and Speed. For example if I Back Squat on Day 1 I'll do I maybe Oly squats on speed and I won't hit Back Squat again until week 4.

I try and finish days 1,2,4,5 off with about 30 minutes of cardio; 4-mile run works for me. And on days 3,6 I'll do my core exercises.

Hope this helps. As I said I don't compete so a lot of respect goes out to you. I like the style of Tito Ortiz.

Wimmpy is offline Associate Member
    I've done a couple cycles of Halo a have gotten some great strength increases with minimal gain in body weight. Strength increases seem to last, and definetly hardens you up. Good luck!

Grunt- Some very usefull info there. Thank you for taking the time to type all that out for me. There are ideas there that make a lot of sense to me and I intend to implement some of it.

Wimmpy- I'm not even sure what Halo is but every fighter I've seen who used muscle enhancers had a problem with gassing out in the fight so I definately don't want to be in that position but thank you for the input.

vielbistdu is offline New Member
    Try some WSB techniques, or just implementing powerlifting moves in your training routine.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    hosegood whats up bro--i saw the name and knew it was you--espically after said talked with jj-if you dont know who i am yet i have trained with you for years and myself and fullback 40 is the only brown belts in the class. i weigh 240 area and just competed a couple of weeks ago and talked to you there about america will never tap out shirt.

bro what i do is train 80% power and 20%bodybuilding. what i am doing for october is training 70%power(so can push opponents through floor)20%body building and 10% endurance. what i'm gonna do is do my usual warm ups then my usual 8 rep set and 2-3 5 rep sets but dont do usual 2-3 rep sets just go back to a 8 rep set at end and skip last power set. this will help muscle endurance and i will add cardio but eat alot more so dont lose weight and strength while building my cardio

I figured that was you. Yeah, I've been doing some powerlifting and I started gaining weight so I had to cut some fat but thats not going to last much longer. I can feel the difference on the mat as far as strength but it has hurt my cardio a little so I have to work harder than usual on my wind. I can still roll hard for about 45 minutes but I remember when I could roll forever until my muscles would give out before my wind. Of course I'm 32 now so that ain't helping. See you at the next show.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    i'm 34 bro know the feeling
    see ya at next one

NoChance is offline New Member
    A MMA fighter needs to train in all three energy systems. To increase your short term burst of power follow the powerlifting routines already listed. This will address the ATP energy system but this strength is short lived.

You have got to also commit to doing relentless intense, calisthenics to train the Lactic Acid energy system. This is the energy system most commonly used in NHB type fighting. Think about the Lion's Den fighters. This was their speciality and their reputation preceeds them.

Next is the Aerobic energy system. You need to be running about 12-20 miles a week if you're serious about competing.

Check out Shamrock's autobiography, "Inside the Lion's Den." This shoud get you motivated and serious about your conditioning. These guys do 500 free standing squats at a time!!

Rick

Thread Information