the quest aka ef is offline Junior Member

swimming for cardio?

anyone swim for cardio in the morning on an empty stomach? do you think it's a good idea? just to change from the treadmill.

Grunt is offline New Member
    Well I'm by no means an "elite" swimmer (olymic or even colligate) but I can still hold my own in the water.

As far as Cardio goes; yes swimming is good, but I've read several references where it places behind running and biking for "fat burning".

But IMO it does offer some significant benefits:

1. Whole Body Workout.
    2. Active and continuous resistance.
    3. Active Recovery-post workout rehabilitation.
    4. Variety

I include one swimming workout 1 day following my Max Effort Squat and Overhead Press (modified Westside, my workouts are tailored for "combat conditioning) as an Active Recovery/Rehab/General Physical Preparedness.

I include several mini routines in one workout:
    1. Sprints (4 X 25m, 2 X 50m, 1 X100m) Mixed Stokes (Freestyle, Breast, and Butterfly)
    2. Mids (1 X 500)
    3. Longs (1 X 2000) *about every 3rd work out or so

I also include Kickboard work, finning and Paddles.

I highly recommend adding Hand Paddles to sprints for shoulder and back development.

And if you are really looking for "gut check" I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a "Grudge Belt" (do a search on yahoo for Grudge Belt and click on Stretch Cordz). You're essentially connecting yourself to another swimmer via belts and thick tubing. Swim in opposite directions. IMO it's the closest thing, in terms of physically taxing, to the kind of oxygen debt and determination required in a fight. Grudge Belt and 20-rep squats are comparible.

Hope this helps

letmein is offline Associate Member
    This may sound crazy but I think swimming can cause a little more sub q fat storage because of your bodies desire to stay warm (themodynamics) and boyancy (hydrodynamics). When I was prepping for my show my coach advised against it. My be BS though. Just a thought.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    Ive heard that

Ive also heard that the reason most swimmers are completely cut up is because they dont want to be..

personally i dunno, swimming is fun but i still have to go to my cardio time in the gym heh

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    letmein,

good post many people don't realize that fact and if their goal is to look lean swimming may be counterproductive.

xxxl83

Grunt is offline New Member
    Swimming and Sub Q Fat?

I'm not an expert on the subject, but here is my understanding of it.

Yes there is some correlation between fat and boyancy, but if you look at high caliber swimmers while they don't have the "cut" build of say a short distance sprinter, they are far from fat.

I don't really think that swimming makes you inclined to retain anymore Sub Q Fat than what you're genetically inclined to (tip: most indoor pools are 76-80 degrees so there is not much need for fat as body heat and the lower the better so you don't overheat). Again looking at the high caliber swimmers the majority have long limbs, and extra large feet and hands. Like anything else their natural structure (fat composition included) inable them to compete at a high level. Point being, swimming isn't going to make your hands and feet grow anymore than it is going to make you fat or less cut.

You can stay cut and use swimming as your workout as long as you don't become obsessed and make swimming performance your goal.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    swimming does back in the excess fat, running is best to lose bf%, but swimming spares the joints
    peace

I like to ride my bike, screw swimming!

Seriously though, swimming is still great cardio. It is an excellent full body aerobic workout (if done for a long period of time) and it has been known to reduce some bodyfat.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by skiboy
    ...excess fat...
    Please don't use those words together ever again.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

swimming can be good for cardio endurance but..

letmein is on point. water acts as an "insulator"

gympigi is offline New Member
    All I would say is I would never swim on an empty stomach. Swimming hard really needs a lot of energy and if you realised how much you sweat under water youd see what I mean. I personally never swim without a bowl of porridge before I go. I guess its preference but ultimately, you need to fuel your body for it and if you do youll get better results.

Quote Originally Posted by gympigi View Post
    All I would say is I would never swim on an empty stomach. Swimming hard really needs a lot of energy and if you realised how much you sweat under water youd see what I mean. I personally never swim without a bowl of porridge before I go. I guess its preference but ultimately, you need to fuel your body for it and if you do youll get better results.
    Calm down...these threads you are posting on are years old!
    -XL

jing jai

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Quote Originally Posted by gympigi View Post
    holy fvck, 8 years old? wow.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Yeah holy fvck is right! It's a little weird to see something i posted on that long ago. lol

xxxl83

Thread Information