Vin
    Vin is offline New Member

Help with traps?

I am doing shrugs for my traps but don't feel it or get a pump.
    What else can I do to work my traps?

Thanks vin

ValeTudo is offline New Member
    I don't know how much weight your shrugging with but this is what I do and it works for me. I use the Smith machine...start with a plate on each side and shrug slow and steady twenty-reps thats 10 in the front and ten tothe rear. Add another plate each side and slowly pump out 20 more reps ten in the front ten in the rear...SLOW I'm talking full range of motion a second count up...hold a second and SLOW release. Then I add the third plate and go for at least 8-10 reps the same way. I then take a nice rest for about 5 minutes...go back take of a plate from each side and pump out 30 reps....10 in the front....10 to the side and 10 in the rear. Do that as you take the plates off till the bar is empty and if you don't have sore ass pumped traps then I don't know what else to say or suggest. Good luck. Remember SLOW...FULL...FLEX at the TOP and SLOW release to the bottom. It's not about WIEGHT...it's about form and full contractions.

VT

Jimmy_Bravo is offline Associate Member
    I like to use the dumbells for my shrugs. When I get to the top of the lift I hold there for a second or so then slowly let down. The holding portion of the movement is were I get my pump.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    Add a couple sets of Upright Rows, they'll help add mass and define those traps.

Tystick is offline Junior Member
    Bump.... for more suggestions

thegame01 is offline Member
    i stay away from upright rows as they are bad for your rotator cuff .Do lots of shruggs and nice and slow and heavy and they will get pumped
    it works for me anyways

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    dead lifts kick traps
    also i do bar shrugs 2 sets heavy like 405 for 8-10 reps holding at top then 2 sets light like 315 for 20 reps without holding for speed
    dbells also work by lifting them up--hold--then roll backward slowly squeezing shoulder blades together and holding as long as can

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    I understand thegame01's point about upright rows. You want to make sure you do them within a comfortable range. Be careful with how high you pull up. If done right, it's a good exercise.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    On shoulder day:
    High intesity.
    10-15 sets
    30 sec between

On back day:
    Hit some deadlifts

still growin is offline Member
    i find if you go slowly and don't bounce, and really squeeze at the top and hold for a full one-onethousand, then slowly lower, i get the best pump. Form is more important than weight. don't go so heavy that you can't touch your shoulders to your neck! wight is important and will come with time, but form is more important! GOOD LUCK SG

Assassinator is offline Associate Member
    I like holding it for 2-3 seconds on the last rep.
    I have to disagree with 20-30 reps ...
    If you are gonna do high reps, 15 at the most.

I do dumbbell shrugs.

chinups Guest
    I guess just grab the biggest dumbells you can and shrug them shits. You'll get sore, trust me. Worked for me

palme is offline Rosie Member
    DB shrugs and upright rows, do both slow and steedy. Make sure you hold for a sec while doing shrugs. Deads works the traps aswell.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    heavy Barbells and Dumbbells....
    That's what works for me, and my Traps are byfar the my best body part! I do drop sets with the BB's
    2x385(ormore) 4x375 6x365 8x355 10x345 12x 325
    DB's my gym only has db's to 130 so i do
    6 x 110 8 x 120 10 x 130

Bent DB fly's and FLEX OUT THOSE Babies!!!!!!!

Feel the pain the next morning! Gotta love it!

"HOO YAAA!"
    EJECT......................

HalOd03 is offline Associate Member
    yea i do heavy barbell shrugs, to the front 3 sets, and the back 3 sets, various grips; close, middle, wide....to get overall definition.

Then i do heavy dumbell shurgs for 3 sets, squeeze on the last rep!!

Then 2 sets of uprights superseted with this exercise that looks almost like lateral raises, but u hold the DB to the side of your body and raise your arms so that they are parallel, like your a bird and u spread ur wings, and you go up about 6 inches then back down, that burns the hell outta the traps.........

good luck, get bigg!

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    Shrugs are fine, yet I have the same problem with shrugs. Shrugs are the most boring exercise invented, in my opinion. Im not shurgging them off as inefficient, just that you have to really put yourself into them to get the pump to get the growth.
    Want easy trap growth? Work them on back day while doing deads. Sore for sure, finish off with shrugs and youre golden. Finish off with some forearm curls to finish off the grip work and you got yourself a 2 in one job.
    Anyone else try this?

TheChosen1 is offline Member

Cool

Several years ago, I hired a competitive bodybuilder as a personal trainer and he gave me some great tips on building my traps.

When you're working delts, do a few sets of side lats. But instead of bending down slightly and bending your arms slightly, remain straight and keep your arms straight. You will, of course, need to use lighter weighted dumbells. Hold the dumbells with the thumb on the inside. That is, they should be on the side of your index fingers.

With the dumbells at your side, slowly bring them up shoulder level just as you would normally perform the side lat raises. When you reach the top position of the routine, curve your hands in.

After about 2 sets of these, you will totally feel the difference. Not to mention, it'll make you enjoy wearing tank tops when you notice your traps getting bigger and more defined.

durbin22 is offline Member
    For me I like dumbell shrugs since it gives me a better rom then barbell shrugs.

TheChosen1 is offline Member

Cool

Originally posted by durbin22
    For me I like dumbell shrugs since it gives me a better rom then barbell shrugs.
    Same here but one better. Hammer Strength Shrug machine.

AustrianOAK14 is offline Senior Member
    go with heavy deadlifts bro

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    Don't know if anyone said this.

But try holding it for a couple of seconds in the top of the lift... Upright rows gives me a pump in trapz even though it's primary a delt exercise...

So maybe do upright rows for 20 reps light weight and then shrugs...

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    LOL, you bastards.....this thread is over 2 years old.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    The original poster is going to be in Vegas Oct 31st for the big "O"! He has those big traps lol yea over 2yrs old get a grip bro

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    my traps never really started to grow.. until I started using way too heavy 65 pound dumbell side laterals with the worst form you could ever imagine.

ehahhah

yap.. but, its true.

Shrad6 is offline Junior Member
    HELP ME!!!!!!!! I was doing traps the other day and when I got done I had what I call a Kink in my neck. It would hurt when I turn my head exactly like if you slept wrong. What did I do? How do I fix it?

Thread Information