Pembo is offline Junior Member

Talking A comprehensive guide to cutting

Cutting (losing fat and increasing muscle definition)

There are some essential points to note for successful cutting:

„h It is impossible to increase muscle size when cutting.
    „h Less *kcals (see bottom of article) need to be consumed than expended.
    „h At least 5 meals a day with 40g protein at each meal.
    „h Avoid alcohol
    „h Post workout nutrition
    „h 12-15 reps, 1 minutes rest between sets and no more than 30 sets per workout.
    „h Use more isolation lifts than compound lifts
    „h Cardio
    „h Don¡¦t train each part of the body more than once a week.
    „h Split body parts so they get a good rest during the week.
    „h At least 8 hours sleep every night.
    „h Supplements

*It is impossible to increase muscle size when cutting*

When cutting a person must consume less kcals than they expended. The deficit of kcals from diet is made by burning fat. It is impossible to put muscle mass on when cutting because there is no excess energy to make extra muscle. It may look as if there is a muscle size increase however this is because of better definition not increases in size. To put on muscle mass (bulk) search for the article entitled ¡¥Bulking for begginers¡¦.

*Less kcals need to be consumed than expended.*

The most important part of cutting is diet. To cut a 500kcal deficit per day will lead to a loss of 1lb of fat a week. A 1000kcal deficit per day will lead to a loss of 2lb of fat per week. A deficit of greater than 1000kcal is to aggressive and hard earned muscle will burned to produce energy. What the body normally needs will depend on height, weight. Here are some guidelines:

5¡¦7, 75kg = 2,600kcal
    5¡¦7 85kg = 2,900kcal
    6¡¦, 85kg = 3000kcal
    6¡¦, 95kg = 3,300kcal

Therefore a person 6¡¦ tall weighing 85kg requires a diet that provides 2,500kcal a day in order to lose 1lb of fat per week. A 5¡¦7, 85kg person requires 1,900kcal in order to lose 2lb of fat per week. Remember it will take at least 5 weeks (5-10lb fat loss) to see any real change. Lots of motivation will be required in order to cut for a long period of time.

*At least 5 meals a day with 40g protein at each meal*

What type and when food is consumed is just as important as how much. There is no point in eating all kcals for breakfast and nothing else for the rest of the day. The amount of food should be reduced as the day goes along. A cutting diet should consist of 40% of kcals from carbohydrate, 40% of kcals from protein and 20% of kcals from fat. Each meal should contain the above percentages and the calories should be split into at least 5 (6-8 preferable) meals throughout the day 3 hours apart. For example a person requiring 2,000kcals a day should have an eating plan like:

8:00 = 500kcal (40g protein)
    11:00 = 400kcal (40g protein)
    2:00 = 400kcal (40g protein)
    5:00 = 350kcal (40g protein)
    8:00 = 200kcal (40g protein)
    Before bed a protein source (casien, tin of tuna) not weigh it gets metabolised to quickly.

At least 5 meals are essential so that the muscles have a constant supply of protein (40g per meal) so that muscles are not wasted to provide energy.

Examples of meals that constitute the 40%/40%/20% split:

Porridge mixed with 2 scoops of protein powder.
    Rice, 1 tin of tuna, vegetables
    Steak, potatoes and vegetables
    Chicken, rice and vegetables
    2 Tuna sandwiches.
    Bowl of cereal and a protein shake
    Scrambled egg on toast.
    Cottage cheese and salad.

This is not an exhaustive list use imagination and invent.

*Avoid alcohol*

Each pint of larger has 200kcal, 1 shot of vodka 50kcal, 1 glass of wine 120kcal. Therefore if alcohol is a must for you further food restriction is needed to ensure you have a kcal deficit of at least 500kcal per day. Alongside this how many times do you have a kebab (lots of kcals) after 8 pints?

*Post-Workout Nutrition (after workout)*

The most important meal of the day, search for the article entitled ¡¥Post-Workout Nutrition¡¦.

*12-15 reps, 1 minute rest between sets and no more than 30 sets per workout.*

12-15 reps causes muscles to burn more kcals than when bulking. 12-15 reps will improve muscle shape and definition. The last 2-3 reps should be very difficult. 1 minutes rest is required between sets so the muscles have enough time to recover. No more than 1 hour should be spent lifting. No more than 20 sets on major muscle groups (chest, back, thighs, shoulders), no more than 10 sets for minor muscle groups (biceps, triceps, calfs). Hence no more than 30 sets per session (work a major and minor muscle group in the same session).

*Use more isolation lifts than compound lifts*

Isolation lifts will improve muscle shape and definition better than compound lifts. Isolation lifts = shoulder front raises, chest flyes, leg extensions. Compound lifts = shoulder press, chest press, dips.

*Cardio*

The easiest way to burn fat is by doing 30-60 minutes cardiovascular activity 3-5 times a week. Swimming, running, rowing, cycling, stepping, cross training and brisk walking are all types of cardio. Cardio increase the number of kcals expended and therefore the kcals used must be substituted by burning fat. The most effective time to burn fat is first thing in the morning before breakfast. If morning is not possible do cardio 3 hours after eating and not before as fat burning will not be at a peak. The effort you put into the cardio does not have to be great, a brisk walk for 45 minutes will do the job. The effort used should mean that you could talk while doing it but not sing.

*Don¡¦t train each part of the body more than once a week*

Muscles need a weeks rest to repair. Therefore training chest 2 or 3 times a week will not allow full muscle repair and reshaping. All body parts need to be trained once a week. The body parts are chest, abdominal, biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, thighs and calfs. People who don¡¦t train all muscle groups will not achieve full muscle definition and will look out of proportion. Don¡¦t train more than 4 times a week the muscles need rest and you need a life outside of the gym.

*Split body parts so they get a good rest during the week*

Splitting the body parts up throughout the week is essential to give muscles required rest. There are several variations but this is one of the best:
    Day 1: Chest and biceps
    Day 2: Thighs and abdominal
    Day 3: Back and calfs
    Day 4: Shoulders and triceps

*At least 8 hours sleep every night*

Sleeping is the main time for muscle building (when growth hormones are released (REM sleep)) and 8 hours is essential in order to get full growth.

*Supplements*

Whey protein is essential for post workout (see article).
    Glutamine is a great supplement to take first thing in the morning before cardio, before resistance training and before bed. 5g each dose. It prevents muscle tissue being broke down for energy production.
    Mutli-vitamin is an essential so muscles have all the necessary components to grow and to ensure good health.
    GABA useful when taken before bed (increases REM sleep)
    Fat burners (stackers etc) are good to take because they increase fat burning throughout the day. Note only use them when cutting, not when bulking. Don¡¦t take them to close to bedtime as they can cause insomnia.
    Fish oil/Flax seed oil provides all the essential fatty acids needed for good health and skin. 10g per day are sufficient. You can add it into a protein shake or take in capsule form.
    Me-Rex shake 340kcals and a perfect protein, carbohydrate and fat mix with vitamins and minerals. Excellent meal replacement.

*Kcals are units of energy.
    1g of protein = 4kcal
    1g of carbohydrate = 4kcal
    1g of fat = 9kcal.
    Look on the back of food packets to see what amount of kcals it contains and what the percentage split of it is. Ideally a split of 40% carbohydrate, 40% protein, 20% fat for cutting.
    1g of fat = 2 times as many kcals as 1g of carbohydrate or protein. Therefore keep fat very low in the diet.

This isn¡¦t everything but if you do all of this you will lose fat without losing muscle successfully. Any additional comments or supplements you use are more than welcome.
    It is impossible to increase muscle size when cutting

SUPERDAVE is offline Banned
    great post!!!

Impossible to increase muscle size when cutting unless you are taking steriods .

The post workout nutrtion post is actually titled

"An explanation of what to have immediatly after workout and why"

ESP_2002 is offline New Member

Great POST!!!

Excellent post!
    Informative and simple to understand!!

I agree can't get bigger unless on juice,
    but what kind of juice exactly can you take while
    cutting and still put on quality size?

I know clen tabs, winny, primobolan and
    EQ are the main things to use to cut?

Please wat could i take along with the juice
    mentioned above and get cut+bigger (quality)
    at the same time??

Thanks for your help!!
    email me asap thanks

solidj55 is offline Member
    Overall a good post but a few points are not true for all. Number one, not everyone has the same protein requirements, so that 40g/meal isnt really true, I dont need that much personally and some need more, thats all according to the individual. Also, doing more isolation movements than compound movements isnt really true to. Ill explain, number one compound movements(with short rest periods especially)produce more natural test/growth hormone than isolation movements, hence more muscle and less bodyfat. Also, the more muscles used at once the faster the metabolism cranks. Just food for thought.

Decoder is offline Banned
    Exellent cut and paste skills!

solidj55 is offline Member
    Originally posted by Decoder
    Exellent cut and paste skills!
    LOL

ESP_2002 is offline New Member

Decent Point!!

The 40 g of protein does depend on the person, but i think its a good average for what were talking about so dont get on Pembo too hard!! )

And your reference about compound vs isolation movements makes alot of sense but I think that also applies to your first argument. IT DEPENDS on what works for you and what you need or want or what your GOAL is but overall good points everybody

OT8268 is offline Associate Member
    bump,

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I will disagree on 2 thinhgs.
    1- It is impossible to increase muscle size while cutting. Try reading Mikexxl's thread.
    2- It's impossible to gain size without steroids .
    Well I used to just juice and not care about diet and figured as long as I was going to the gym too it was ok. Well almost a year ago I quit the juice and srated focusing on my diet and lifting. Well without steroids I went from 230 lbs up to 245 lbs. Also my strength went up on all my lifts. I actually gained better muscle and strength naturally than I did with AS. So from my personal experience you are wrong on that one. Now can you get AS big as the pro's without steroids....No.

WS6_KID is offline Associate Member
    GREAT POST!!!!

yellows2k is offline Member
    I disagree with several of them:

„h It is impossible to increase muscle size when cutting
    -Possible but very difficult

„h 12-15 reps, 1 minutes rest between sets and no more than 30 sets per workout.
    -Doing higher reps with lesser weight is training your body that it doesn't need to expend energy lifting those heavy weights you normally lift with 4-8 reps, IMO

„h Use more isolation lifts than compound lifts
    Why?

„h Don¡¦t train each part of the body more than once a week
    Generally true, unless you are on gear you can get away with more than once a week or doing some sort of specialized workout, eg Active Recovery workouts

sherpa27 is offline Junior Member
    good post but.......
    compound movements should be favored because they work more muscle
    little muscle dont burn fat up the reps on compound excercises and see what happens!

When cutting a person must consume less kcals than they expended. The deficit of kcals from diet is made by burning fat. It is impossible to put muscle mass on when cutting because there is no excess energy to make extra muscle. It may look as if there is a muscle size increase however this is because of better definition not increases in size. To put on muscle mass (bulk) search for the article entitled ¡¥Bulking for begginers¡¦.
    "

This is an oversimplification, taken literaly it means..."At one INSTANT in time, the body is either in a catabolic or anabolic state, hence building muscle and lossing fat dont happen at the same instant in time"

that is true. But it looks like your saying somthing broader than that. That, say, in a two week period you cant lose body fat and build muscle.
    Can your body move from an anabolic state to a catabolic and back in 14 days? obviously yes it can. If it wasnt able to, we could have cheat weeks on our diets and not gain fat, as opposed to cheat meals.
    I think that switching your bodys energy balance more than once a day is counterproductive, but there is nothing wrong with cardio one day and lifting the next, gaining muslce and losing fat. Plenty of type for your body to shift gears.

The problem with statments like that "cant gain muscle while lose fat" is that NO ONE ever specifies a time frame.

newtogear is offline Junior Member

actually, if your body already has a good amount of fat stores, couldn't that fat be used as excess energy to make extra muscle? isn't the primary fuel source for the body, glucose, then fat, and then muscle fiber?

my thinking is that you could have 7 lower calorie meals w/ tons of protein and and a moderate amt of low glycemic, complex carbs....and hopefully have that keep the muscles fed throughout the day. and if more fuel for the muscles are needed, it can pull that energy from all the fat stores further reducing bf%. also, glutamine would help catabolism too.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by newtogear
    actually, if your body already has a good amount of fat stores, couldn't that fat be used as excess energy to make extra muscle? isn't the primary fuel source for the body, glucose, then fat, and then muscle fiber?

my thinking is that you could have 7 lower calorie meals w/ tons of protein and and a moderate amt of low glycemic, complex carbs....and hopefully have that keep the muscles fed throughout the day. and if more fuel for the muscles are needed, it can pull that energy from all the fat stores further reducing bf%. also, glutamine would help catabolism too.

That is actually what happens if you are fat to begin with....

I highly disagree that you can't gain size when cutting. I have gotten way bigger and strong while cutting, and I can actually see my abs for the first time in my life. I started out at 210, then I dieted down to 155. Then from there I gained back up to 175. Right now I look way bigger, my strength has increased, and I am still cutting up very nicely. But keep in mind I had a very high body fat percentage to start with. For a guy that is decently skinny, cutting will probably not add mass. however, why would a skinny guy cut anyway>? I don't see why you can't get bigger when cutting if protein ammounts remain high. I take in 300 grams or more a day, 60-80g fat, 100g of carbs, and about 2100-2200 calories and I am doing great. I guess it all depends on the person and genetics.

Mike

Thread Information