Thread: Chest

MsFit is offline Female Member

Chest

The chest in one muscle and contracts as one. Flat presses are naturally the mass builder. However, being a female I do put my emphasis on incline and use the flat as secondary.

So for a guy training: Do you think that training incline presses only is effective? If you are not engaging in flat presses, the true mass builder you are cheating yourself. Right? How can a guy get a complete, effective chest training with olny inclines and rule out flat presses?

I'm asking in reguard to my fella............
    MsFit
    The Elite Physique

MsFit's Pics

I'm better know as misfit!

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    Personally I mix everything up every 3 weeks. Right now I am starting with incline db's followed by cable flyes, decline hammer strength and then pec dec.

Next three weeks I will hit the flat db press first maybe some incline cable flyes, wide chest hammer strength and 30 deg incl. smith.

I say don't try to do it all in one workout but what you do decide to do make it count. Then switch it up.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    MsFit...For me personally, incline dumbells is my main chest exercise but that is simply because I am unable to do flat bench presses due to wrist surgeries done several years ago. However, I do think that some form of flat pressing is imperative to fully exercise the chest. As I am unable to use heavy weights on flat presses, I use a medium/heavy weight on either flat dumbell presses or hammer strength. These always follow a heavy set of incline dumbells.

Pete

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Chest

Ms.Fit,
    You are right working the flat bench does build mass, and as Pete already knows that working with Dumbells forces each pectoral as well as each arm to fully work throughout the movement without the stronger of the two pushing most of the weight as somtimes is the case in useing a straight bar on your bench. For me using dumbells is much harder than useing the bar but that is porbably because I use a bar in about 85 % of my chest routines on a regular basis and that is really what I am use to doing. The Incline is basically designed to work the inner chest which is very difficult part of the pectoral for many BB to develope. With a wide grip on the bar you can hit the outer pectoral to a fairly good degree on the incline however this is basically not what the incline was originally designed for. Dumbell flies or a number of other excerises can be ultilized if your friend dose not particularlly like Flat bench, however, he would do well if medically or physically able to incorporate these into his routine as well.
    Tobey

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    my main chest builder is always incline work. i always do incline first. however, i also do flat presses, sometimes with dumbells, sometimes with a barbell. i go as heavy as i can, but after heavy inclines, my chest is pretty shot. i just do as much as i can. it really exhausts the chest. somewhere i read that most pros and serious body builders don't even do flat presses. it's easier to build a nice lower chest under an already developed upper chest than vice versa

xenithon is offline Member

Agreed!

hell yeah!

i have to agree with that dane. i used to do a lot of flat/decline work cause i listened to some idiots when i first started. my lower chest really sticks out very nice but my upper chest is definitely lacking. i am finding it REALLY difficult to get my upper chest now, so I am sticking to incline only! the only time my lower chest works is when i do weighted dips targeting the pecs.

JRMY2711 is offline Associate Member
    I AGREE WITH DANE ON THAT ONE CAUSE I AM ALL LOWER CHEST AND MY UPPER CHEST SUX AND IT IS HARD AS HELL GETTING IT UP TO PAR NOW IT LOOKS SO FUNNY I HATE SO INCLINE IS GOING TO BE MY PRIMARY IT LOOKS LIKE FOR A FEW MONTHS.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    This is exactly why this forum is so important. The fact is...EVERYONE is different and has genetic strengths and weaknesses.

Fundamentally like we all know bench is the one exercise you can put the most weight on but form is at times an issue.

Dumbells as Tobey mentioned develops coordination between the muscles and makes each individual group do their share so you can overcome weaker sides, and increase stability. I have seen gobs of people say that they get more from incline work, and especially dumbells because of the added stretch achieved from the lower half of the movement, as well as the need for stabalization.

Everyone has to do what works best and we all find out through trial & error.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    good point, DB. we always have to remember that everyone's different

Abbaddon is offline New Member
    the pectorial majoris is a large muscle that encompases the entire chest. However what some forget is that eventhough it is one muscle it connects in many different places. The colar bone and all along the sternum. Were this muscle connects at each different point is were we get the concentration on the different angles of the exercise. Do inclines work your entire chest, yes. Do they hit the clavicular connection to a greater degree in my opinion yes. The squeeze is harder there as the pectorial muscles pull the upper arm towards the center of the upper chest. I know I will probably recieve flames for this but you can look in any anatomy book and see how the pectorial muscles originate and connect to the chest. Not to mention who can tell me they do not feel a tighter squeeze in the upper chest doing inclines and a tighter squeeze in the lower chest doing declines.

juiceon is offline Associate Member
    Incline should be the main focus, no doubt.

jdog is offline New Member

Related question

When I take time off from working out 2-3 mths for hunting season, I gain 10-15 lbs which doesn't bother me, but it seems that I put on fat at the bottom of my chest. This bothers me! I guess my question is what is the best way to cut up this area. I am just getting back into my work out.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Related question

Originally posted by jdog
    but it seems that I put on fat at the bottom of my chest. This bothers me! I guess my question is what is the best way to cut up this area.
    Diet and cardio are the only things that will work. It is impossible to spot reduce (lose fat in one certain area). Based on our genetic predisposition, we will lose first, where we gain last (ex. when you put on wieght if the chest is the last place where fat deposits...it will be the first place fat will disappear from when you diet).

You can further develope that area of your chest with declines, decline dumbell presses and dips.

Pete, Thanks.
    Do you think its genetic or could it be hormonal that I gain fat in this area? Would you recommend low weight and high reps.?

Genetics bro...I have the same thing. I have to be very lean before the fat leaves the bottom of my chest.

Low weight and high reps will definately burn more calories and help you lean out. 12-15 reps. Just make sure you are still using strict form...sometimes when we use a lighter wieght we tend to bang out reps too fast and our form gets sloppy. This is how injuries occur and it really does not work the muscle properly. Stay strict work hard and give it time...it's a long process. Good luck bro.

P

Thanx for the reply.

That sets my mind at ease I was worried that it was hormonal. Now I am going to bust my ass and rip my body to shreads.

Thanks again
    J

Thread Information