Question Fact or Fiction.... please help!!!

I was browsing threw the 2002 Men Fitness Special Edition and I came across a few things that totally contradict what I have been told by some of you and by other people in the gym. And I quote "body parts that do not exist include upper, lower biceps - inner, outer chest - upper , lower hamstring - upper, lower quadriceps' Unquote. So does this mean that all those specialized exerises for my lower bicep have been usless and also for my chest??????. Here comes a couple more Quote " Unless your a genetic marvel, you probably can't build a big upper body without working your lower body too" Unquote. I have had many leg injuries playing the sport I love rugby and at for about 6 months have not been able to work out my legs with heavy heavy weights so does this mean all the time I have spent on my upper has gone to waist or what? Please reply and tell me if this is just a bunch of BS or this is true

the first quote i have never heard before
    and dont know what to draw from that statement.
    As for the second quote i have been told by others that it is true
    but due to my short term memory i forgot the reasoning behind that.
    but what about those bodybuilders that compete in the wheel chairs

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Well you can stress different angles/areas of muscle but your can not change the shape of it. I think that is the point they are trying to make, for example if you have short high calves there is no way to make them longer but doing a certain exercise.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Exactly! The biceps has two distinct heads (hence the "bi") but there is no such thing as upper or lower biceps...you cannot target one area of the muscle anymore than you could grab an elastic band and stretch only one section of it. Exercises like Scott curls put more stress on the tendons that attach to the lower part of the bicep, and they make a nice contraction. That is why many recommend them for developing biceps peak. Similar story for inner and outer, upper and lower chest. The chest muscle is one big muscle and although we can feel stress in certain areas based on the exercise (inclines, declines flat bench) I really believe that you cannot make only one area of the chest grow...it's the same thing as spot reducing.

BiosThornton is offline Junior Member
    Bump...What about the upper body/lower body part?

I feel the upper/lower body part is true: You can still build huge upper body muscles, but it will take longer if you don't train your legs because training the legs releases more growth hormone .

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    i heard the upper lower body part thing is true, as for the muscle thing, you target different muscle fiber by angles and different excrcises
    peace

Thread Information