Thread: Martial Arts

Mole is offline New Member

Martial Arts

Does anyone here do martial arts? I did tae kwon do way back it was great for cardio and flexibility.
    I'm kind of interested now in aikido as well as krav maga.
    Does anyone have any input regarding the various forms of martial arts?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I,m a member of the WJJF and practise Ju Jitsu also looking to start up JKD.Ju Jitsu is quite stressful on the joints as it involves a lot of locks but it does help to improve flexability and I use it as a good form of cardio

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Here's a funny story for ya Mole!

I studied TWK, for about 5 &1/2 years. Toured in 95 and pulled 2nd place in sparring in the National competition. Kinda funny though, I was sparring this real young guy (baout 19 I guess) who was realllly tall. Man He beat the snot out of me the first round from all the way across the ring. His legs were so long that I had to really just suck it up and take a few shots to break past his legs to be able to even make contact. Early in the third round, I guess I got a little carried away with my kicks because I went to do a front snap kick to try and back him off of me and when my leg strated to come up and he charged at me my leg caught him right square in the crouch. OOOUCH, he fell like to ton of bricks in agony. MY girlfriend at the time had never been to a meet, and watching me make it up this far into the competiton sparring for 1st place she naturally thought that I had won the day so to speak. Bless her heart she stood up and began sceaming YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, Kick his but Tobey. I only recieved a warning for that stunt but little did she know that it was probaly the very reason that I scored so low in that match. OK, I have to admit that I was going to let it ride, I mean in her eyes I was KING KONG the badest M/F on the block right? However she figured it all out as that was the last day of the match and trophies and awards were given out that day inwhich I pulled second. Since then I have gone to colledge and had little time for Martial Arts. I believe that Martial Arts has really become to commercialized now. Schools will push belts through to keep people interested in keeping at it so they can get their money.(At least mine did) I have not been invovled in Tae Kwon Do for somtime now. Even though I still worked out as a BB then Body building has really takening it's place however I look back on those days with alot of pride and found memories. The people that I came into contact with during my martial arts area were really like family in a ways. Kinda like AR is now, know what I mean?
    Tobey

maximized is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I only have exp in JKD, and i REALLY REALLY like it. ive been out of it for a bit because of the lack of instruction but if you can find someone, id recommend checking it out. i took it way back in 95 first. then i moved to hawaii and found a private instructor who taught me out of his house one on one...now THAT was a treat. but then he moved and i havent been able to find anyone in 2 years. im living in northern cali now (just moved here) and havnt looked yet. but depends on what style you want. you want an aggressive punch/kick? you want submission? i also had the luck that there was a gracie jiu jitsu place about an hour from my house. but it was rather expensive...i had a friend that did aikido and he liked it. good luck

-max

XBiker is offline Retired Vet
    I have trained and competed in TKD, and I was also a member of a Jiu Jitsu team. I am no longer active in MA, but I do miss it. It is such a good workout and for me, it was a very good way to stay out of trouble.

Perhaps when time allows, I shall get back in to training.

$uperman is offline Member
    I took tae kwon do for about 2 1/2 years , i moved out of town and all the places here suck. So i took boxing for about nother year then my trainer went in dept and the place closed down. I miss em both , learned alot and was a great workout.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    I too am a MA veteran!
    Lucky though I started at the ripe age of 11.
    And fought tournaments just about everywhere.
    I fought as a heavyweight and had a bunch of wins and oh yeah a few lessons too!

Today BB has replaced my competitive desires even though I compete only against myself!

Wish I had AS knowledge back in those days!!!

Talk about scary MOFO's

MJ

Ms Figure is offline Retired Moderator
    I did tai kwon do too for a while but because i train 5 days a week the tai kwon do would sometimes be twice a week too especially coming up to grading! I had to prioritise what i wanted so i chose BB i agree that tai kwon do is great flexability strength and fitness but i interfered greatly with recovery of chest and legs JMO
    Ms Figure

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Schools will push belts through to keep people interested in keeping at it so they can get their money

Yep very much so.

I love MA and have done many, but now I train just enough to keep my eye, but train mentally daily, as fear is our greatest enemy when it comes to confrontation.

wild-one is offline Female Member
    I train in the martial arts. My husband and I own a grappling club. We started out w/ karate and jiu jitsu and our club slowly evolved into a grappling club...we have a lot of MMA/NHB fighters and that's what we focus on now. I've moved away from the structure of karate and I'm enjoying the kickboxing/pad work that we do now. I don't grapple though, I'm the only female in the club...they'd kill me

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Now that is true

Originally posted by Big Al

Yep very much so.

but train mentally daily, as fear is our greatest enemy when it comes to confrontation.

How true, most confirmtations are won from from the start by pure intimidation and that all falls in the weekness of the mind.
    IC

Thread Information