Thread: Slow Negatives

Improving is offline Anabolic Member

Slow Negatives

Well, this week I incorporated slow negative chins into my back routine, and it is possibly one of the most effective changes I have ever made! Talk about wearing you out!

I have to admit it; I still cant even do one unassisted full range palms away chin up. I read an article (I think by Parillo) that said slow negatives are the answer for people like me, and I am inclined to beleive it.

I am going to try to incorporate more slow negs into more of my excercises where applicable and where safety permits (I still cant find a good workout partner - very necessary for free weight negatives).

Just wanted to put that out there. I know its probably old news to a lot of you, but it really worked wonders for me. My lats were sore for like 4 days!

Improving

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i usually do chins second in my back routine. i do 12 w/o wieght, 10 with 25 and 8 with a 45. for my fourth set, i use no weight and do slow reps until i can't do anymore. i usually get to about 6 or seven, then i can't move anymroe. they do work the hell out of your back

Oh sure...rub it in why dont ya...multiple weighted chins and I cant even do one unassisted...LOL - j/k. Hopefully I ll be pulling that in a few months , er years, er...

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    The negatives will help you increase your lat strength. Your eccentric (negative) is approximately 30% greater than Concentric (positive). In other words for example if you can curl 100 lbs you should be able to lower 130lbs with control. My point is...start adding weight to your negative pullups. You should be able to control an extra 25 lbs or so. This additional load will stress your lats a step further. I'll bet that within 2 weeks you'll be doing pullups unassisted.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    agreed. the only way to get stronger is add weight. after doing weighted negatives for a while, it won't feel heavy anymore and you'll be able to pull ups with that same weight

MarkyMark is offline Member
    BUMP DB .... great advice .... use it ...good luck

Thanks for the tips and encouragement there fellas. Friday is back day again, and I will try to borrow a bud's weight belt and give it a go. Looking forward to that BURN!

Improving

Thread Information