letmein is offline Associate Member

Help with Squats for tall guys

Now I am not saying that Arnold and I squat the same but the photo below is indicative of the problem that I am having with squats. I find that my upper body moves forward when I go deep. This is not a problem up to about 315 but over I lose confidence in my ability to keep from falling forward above that. My workout partner will actually "catch" me as I sit back with weights up to 455. I know that this is not right. I have tried 5lb plates under my heals. What do you guys reccomend as I feel like my legs can handle the heavier weights but not without sitting back. I am 6'2"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with Squats for tall guys-arnold.jpg  

JAY48 is offline New Member
    HAVE YOU TRYED A CHAINED CAGE>
    ATTACH A CHAIN TO EACH SIDE OF THE BAR AND ATTACH IT TO THE TOP OF THE CAGE.
    AND PUT TWO AND A HALFS UNDER YOUR TOES SO YOU DON'T ROCK FORWARD.
    OR TRY TO SQUAT BAREFOOTED, I AM 6'4" I HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    you may want to try a wide stance as it will give better balance and shorten the length of the movement
    also dont look forward or self in mirror as it tends to make you lean--no one gets pretty when they squat so theres nothing to see

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    i have a similar problem, i'm 6'5, but i found that if i work out my lower back more and get that stronger, then i can support heavier weights.

cube is offline Junior Member
    i used to have the same problem (6'4) it seems to be related to how long your torso is. when you squat down and your upper body pivots forward above the hips, the load moves forward relative to your legs and you put an enormous strain on your back . its like a big crane holding up a weight a long way from the the cab - eventually it'll fall over.

the trouble with putting blocks under you feet is that while they might make you more stable when you are at rock bottom in the sqaut, they will also make you more unstable at the top of the squat.

couple of things that might help:

try more of a pl squat (bar fairly low, wide stance) it might help to reduce the stress on your lower back since it will reduce the distance the weight is sticking out past your point of balance

do more back work, until i could deadlift over 600 i had an unstable squat (even at lower weights like 300). the extra muscle definitely helps to control the weight while you sqaut

use a power rack, at least if you do fall, the rack will catch the weight no matter what way you fall.

if you feel that biomechanically your body cannot support that much weight, try pre-exhausting your legs before squatting, or maybe play around with 20 rep squats at a lighter weight. goodluck

cube.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    o.k. like many of the guys said you need to do more lower back work ie. good mornings, also sounds like your abs are weak and need work too, try standing crunches you also may need to learn how to properly use your abs during a squat. Wear a belt and keep it one notch loose then take a breath and push down into your stomach and push your stomach against the belt. It may sound weird but this is the right way to use you abs and belt, this will increase intra abdominal pressure and keep you stable. Picture your midsection as a ball, when the ball is deflated it's not very stable but, when it's properly inflated it is.

Tapout also made some good points the wide stance will decrease you range of motion possibly eliminating the point where you start to lean.
    Also try and remember to push you knees outward during the squat do not let them go inwards.

Try doing box squats go to www.elitefts.com and read up on the articles about box squatting and also the conjugate method.
    I guarantee this will help your squat out signifacantly but be sure to read those articles there is more knowledge and practical experience on that board than you will find anywhere else in the world.

xxxl83
    Last edited by xxxl83; 07-21-2002 at 09:11 AM.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    Tapout makes a good point about vision. Try to keep your head and eyes up. If there is a wall in front of you, stare at a spot 3/4 of the way up the wall (say, about 9 ft up from the floor). This should help you keep that back more vertical.

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Tapout is totaly right i am 215lbs and 6.2" when i look at the mirror while squating i feel like i am 100lbs lol my chest look like shit

Thread Information